Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Disappointed that HBO max has not been accessible on Roku. Really love our Roku's but after the Fox Superbowl debacle, and now HBO Max, it's getting harder to recommend Roku. It just seems Roku has become just like the rest of them and lost their way. I know our Roku devices have more than just HBO Max to watch but A LOT of people purchased a Roku device for the freedom that Roku allowed now we are being restricted just like everything else. Where will it stop? I am sure there are some big business dealings and shareholders getting **bleep** hurt on both sides but They keep doing what They are doing Roku will no longer be something special. Roku will just be washed away with the next big thing that Roku was. Android TV's are just around the corner and a lot of people already have Android devices. Simplicity and ease of access is everything to us common folk. Just my frustrated thoughts.....

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your posts.

Please be aware that HBO Max is currently not available on the Roku platform.

For more information visit www.hbomax.com and subscribe to the latest channel updates at http://blog.roku.com. To access HBO, go to HBO on The Roku Channel or visit the Roku Channel Store to download HBO NOW.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

1,274 Replies
Highlighted
Level 8

Roku and HBO dispute blocking HBO Max

Jump to solution

When are Roku and HBO going to settle their dispute so that we can get HBOMax on Roku, where we get--and pay for-- HBO Now? This stand-off is going to hurt Roku's user base, not HBO's. There are too many alternatives to Roku, but not for HBO.

Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Roku and HBO dispute blocking HBO Max

Jump to solution

Have an old computer or laptop or chromebook with an HDMI output?  Plug it into your tv, stick a wireless mouse on it and you're watching HBO Max on your tv.  While you're at it, providing you're using a windows/linux OS is to install something like Bluestacks android emulator.  Once you do that, you can run android apps to your tv, like Quibi (if you care) and a surprising number of "phone only" apps will run displaying to your tv.  I have a permanently set up "home theater PC" that's powerful but power friendly.  Plex server, anything that only runs on a browser or an android phone can use the tv.  You can even buy a cheap "media center remote" that comes with an RF or IR receiver for the computer, or get one of those nice little wireless logitech keyboard/trackpads.  Some chromebooks can also run android apps from the play store.

Over the years, I've always stumbled over things that work well in a browser but don't want to play with a roku or android tv.  An HTPC solves all of those issues.

Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

Just what we needed. Another thread on the SOS with nothing new to say.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

So Roku is not going to answer the question? I was going to replace my broken tv now I may have to get a samsung

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I'm not sure its Roku's issue.  The only streaming tv device that HBO Max works on is android tv.  Not Roku or Fire TV.  HBO would have to create the app, the hitch seems to be that HBO wants more money from Roku than Roku pays for other streaming services.  Its not enough that Time Warner/HBO is bypassing the middlemen and charging too much for what you get, they also want a revenue stream.  Dumb on HBO's behalf.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

It's really a shame that ROKU is not allowing HBO MAX on their platform. ROKU also will probably not allow PEACOCK in July. What person with ROKU would ever recommend ROKU to friends without HBO MAX and PEACOCK. Persons like me who have invested a lot of money in a ROKU TV are stuck because most of us can't afford to change services. 

I have to remind ROKU how fast Time Warner Cable died a few years back when they made the big mistake of dropping CBS TV.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes. You can also hook up your computer to your router with an ethernet connection (faster & uses a bit less data), then hook it up with a HDMI cable to your Roku player or Roku TV. Ta-da! now you have a channel on which you can watch anything that's online. My Roku controller also works on YouTube this way.

The only problems I've encountered are that sound quality is better straight through my Roku TV and it's easier to change channels through Roku than changing pages with my laptop.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Shame, I have 10 ROKU units and have been streaming with them since 2011.  Now I have to find a new streaming device to view HBO Max.  Apple TV or Chromecast?  This could be a major blow to a up and coming service.  I will give ROKU until the end of the month, but then I am gone.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I cancelled my HBO Max subscription because they couldn't reach a deal with Roku and Amazon Fire (70% of the streaming marketplace) before launching and even after the launch. You just don't launch a new streaming service without having deals with Roku and Amazon Fire in place.