Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lancerman510
Level 7

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Does Roku ever respond to the community question about HBO MAX?

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 13

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@tae111 wrote:

I don't want to siphon gas from any car. I just want the gas that I already purchased to work in my existing car. I bought HBO from DIRECTV and they tell me for that premium I also get HBO Max. Unfortunately my TV (car) that I already own can't use it.

That is understandable. But the "siphon" method of using Windows 10 laptop, Samsung phone/tablet or Apple iPhone/iPad to mirror to Roku does work well. If what you want is on HBO and not exclusive to HBO Max, then using a HBO Max login to the Roku HBO app may get you to what you want.

Otherwise, your options are to get an alternative media player or finding content that is available through other channels already on Roku.

I still think it would be a huge mistake for AT&T to release an end of year SEC prospectus without being on Roku. But at this point I think it is no longer about negotiating a deal (and possibly it never was). It is my opinion that AT&T/WarnerMedia will mismanage HBO Max to it's death. In the mean time, if you want a Chromecast to make you happy, get one. In a couple years it will no longer be a factor for any media player.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@Lancerman510 wrote:

Does Roku ever respond to the community question about HBO MAX?


Yes

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
wandar2u
Level 9

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

I haven't seen any responses from ROKU. I would like an update on the negotiations too. I guess I could ask some colleagues.

0 Kudos
tae111
Level 9

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

It would be a nice Christmas present for Roku to give us access to HBO Max especially since HBO Max has said they will be releasing new movies that would normally be released to theaters very soon.

0 Kudos
CaptGrumpy
Level 11

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@wandar2u wrote:

I haven't seen any responses from ROKU. I would like an update on the negotiations too. I guess I could ask some colleagues.


Roku won't say anything substantive until they have a deal. You'll only get things to the like: negotiations are still ongoing, or similar statements.

 

 

0 Kudos
_Dragoon
Level 7

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Just replaced my last roku with a shiny new 2019 shield tv Smiley Happy

To be honest, the whole "we dictate the terms for you to access our viewers" just smells of cable, movie theaters, ticketmaster, and ISPs that exempt their own video from data caps. It's anti-consumer, and one reason I've chosen Android (aside from the shield tv just plain being awesome) is that even if the company that made your device starts becoming anti-consumer, you don't have to play by their rules if you don't want to.

Roku is very anti-consumer, and if their wants are at odds with yours, there's nothing you can do about it. Ditto for Apple.

0 Kudos
jlanzy
Level 9

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

'Roku stock has booked a 240% return so far in 2020.'  

'Roku (ROKU) Could Hit $500 in 2021'.

After I read this today from Investopedia now I see why Roku is holding its ground on having hbo max in its channel store rather than standalone.  As long as Roku shareholders are profiting even with no hbo max it doesn't seem like roku has any incentive to give ATT its own app. Perhaps if enough owners abandon Roku and profits begin to lessen then maybe, but how many of us have to leave for profits to be significantly impacted especially considering the number of total owners. Certainly this is not encouraging for those of us who want hbo max and don't like the workarounds if available for having hbo max by WW84.  If the new WB movie releases on max isn't sufficient to finalize a deal then it may be quite a bit longer until profit margins decrease that do impact stock valuations before we see any chance of getting max.  I hope my Scrooge scenario is wrong.

 

 

0 Kudos
CaptGrumpy
Level 11

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@jlanzy wrote:

'Roku stock has booked a 240% return so far in 2020.'  

'Roku (ROKU) Could Hit $500 in 2021'.

After I read this today from Investopedia now I see why Roku is holding its ground on having hbo max in its channel store rather than standalone.  As long as Roku shareholders are profiting even with no hbo max it doesn't seem like roku has any incentive to give ATT its own app. Perhaps if enough owners abandon Roku and profits begin to lessen then maybe, but how many of us have to leave for profits to be significantly impacted especially considering the number of total owners. Certainly this is not encouraging for those of us who want hbo max and don't like the workarounds if available for having hbo max by WW84.  If the new WB movie releases on max isn't sufficient to finalize a deal then it may be quite a bit longer until profit margins decrease that do impact stock valuations before we see any chance of getting max.  I hope my Scrooge scenario is wrong.

 

 


This is what I've been saying. Roku is in the business of making money. First and foremost, they are responsible to their stockholders. Unless the company starts losing ground, they will not take a deal that doesn't benefit. WarnerMedia may be a big fish in content providers, but Roku is the big fish in terms of platforms, with 43% of the market.

BTW, there will be an HBOMax app when it comes to Roku.  All channels have an app. I never use the Roku channel and have access to all the apps.

0 Kudos
SeanB2000
Level 8

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

For what it's worth, I replied to an email survey from Roku yesterday inquiring how I liked my new Streambar.  I gave it an honest, great, review; however, I concluded by letting them know I will he switching out all my Roku streaming devices if they don't reach a deal soon with HBOMax.  

0 Kudos