Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iona-D
Level 13

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@manoilmarv wrote:

I have Spectrum and HBO Max is included with my HBO Subscription,  but I am unable to get HBO Max because Roku is the only device on the market that does not provide direct access.  This is unacceptable! Please negotiate with A T & T and resolve the issue.  You are punishing people like myself that trusted Roku.  All my TVs are currently streaming on Roku---did I make a mistake?

Yes and no.  Yes because you can "piggyback" subscriptions and get much more content through Spectrum.  Nice. But you are not enjoying everything this special offers has for you. Now just spring for another device and get everything you want.  Without waiting around for an corporation who has neither conscious thought or care for others.  

Many of us (including myself) does right now this minute without any guilt or feel disloyalty.  Corporations feel nothing at all.

0 Kudos
tae111
Level 9

Re: Roku and HBO dispute blocking HBO Max

Jump to solution

I was just listening to a stock broadcast yesterday. One of the stocks he was talking about was Roku. He said their stock just went up due to a perceived deal with HBO Max coming.  

0 Kudos
CaptGrumpy
Level 11

Re: Roku and HBO dispute blocking HBO Max

Jump to solution

@tae111 wrote:

I was just listening to a stock broadcast yesterday. One of the stocks he was talking about was Roku. He said their stock just went up due to a perceived deal with HBO Max coming.  

It does make sense. With Wonder Woman 84, and the rest of the WB theatricals being released on HBO Max, it behooves the two parties to hammer out a deal.  HBO Max is missing out on a portion of the 43% or the streaming population that Roku represents. Interestingly enough, WarnerMedia CEO Kilar said he expected a deal by Christmas.

0 Kudos
wandar2u
Level 9

Jump to solution

You can use an HDMI cable to connect a laptop to the television. That will allow you to watch until ROKU finishes negotiating for the best deal that it can get for its customers.

0 Kudos
DarthCroz
Level 7

Jump to solution

I know there are workarounds. I really don't want workarounds. I purchased Roku devices because they weren't caught up in these corporate fights like the other providers were.

And this isn't the best deal it can get for it's customers. Customers get nothing out of a deal but the HBO Max app on their devices, which other providers had on day 1. We don't get discounts on HBO Max or anything like that. This is the best deal for Roku. They're the ones that stand to benefit from dragging this out. The users suffer.

0 Kudos
debsmith5065
Level 10

Jump to solution

Roku's interest is obviously not in getting the best deal for their customer - otherwise the deal would have been done.

They want to get the best deal for the stockholders, as they should.  That is ultimately who they answer to.

0 Kudos
cromagnon
Level 9

Jump to solution

Clearly AT&T is playing hardball here. They fought Amazon and finally Amazon caved and will soon no longer be selling HBO through their store. They are still battling Roku. And they are now fighting Movie Theaters and the entire film industry and have pissed everyone off in their attempt to make HBOMAX into one of the big streaming services and take on Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, etc.

So far Roku with their large market share is refusing to cave in to the pressure. 

0 Kudos
DWLumpy
Level 8

Jump to solution

Will the dispute come to a solution at all?  Quite disappointed that Roku in not making this available on their devices.

0 Kudos
wandar2u
Level 9

Jump to solution

What if the negotiations have to do with customer privacy - data sharing. Does anybody actually have any details regarding the negotiations? I am interested in understanding what the issues are.

0 Kudos
DWLumpy
Level 8

Jump to solution

@wandar2u wrote:

What if the negotiations have to do with customer privacy - data sharing. Does anybody actually have any details regarding the negotiations? I am interested in understanding what the issues are.

That could be possible, but you would think in their interest they would inform their users of why... I have the HBO app on my device, and I am sure that other services would have the same concern for their customers.

0 Kudos