Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Molaugh57
Level 7

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

two subscriptions is one too many!

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 13

Jump to solution

@MoviesProbably wrote:

@CaptGrumpy wrote:

@df85732 wrote:

This is such BS! Get your act together Roku!

Yelling at Roku isn't gonna do it. Jason Kilar (sp?) at Warner media is the culprit. Read his statements about Roku and see where the blame is. Roku won't take a deal that is bad for them.

No, Roku is the culprit and nothing Kilar has said changes that. Roku is demanding a deal far beyond what anyone else has gotten. AT&T has offered them the exact same deal that Apple TV and Amazon have and Roku said no. They're demanding full Roku Channel integration

I can't find any source of information that confirms what you are claiming. I think you are confusing reseller billing integration with content aggregation. There is indications they expect to be able to give Roku users an optoin to use Roku as the reseller for billing. HBO Max already allows this for over a hundred other resellers including YouTube TV.  That isn't the same as aggregating all the content of HBO Max.

@MoviesProbably wrote:
Would you want your major 200 million dollar theatrical releases integrated into a chaotic interface along with reruns of Mama's Family? I wouldn't.

Odd choice to decide Mama's Family is what crosses the line. The TV show was good enough to have six seasons on NBC.  It was a nominee for several awards and the winner of a Primetime Emmy Award.

There doesn't seem to be any real risk that it will appear along side the award winning program you selected as the basis of your attack.

Instead, HBO Max continues to give you access to Superman IV: The Quest for Peace which gets a Rotten Tomato critic score of 11% and an audience score of 15%.  The movie was so horrific that it ended the Christopher Reeve's Superman series of films.  It wouldn't be until almost two decades later that they would attempt a Superman Returns movie.  Is this on HBO Max to help set expectations for WW84?  I hope not.  But based on your logic that what other content it appears along with being an important factor, I suddenly feel some concern.

@MoviesProbably wrote:
Since Roku looks to make $600 million this year in ad revenue, it's clear that Roku's business model is now selling it's users ads and subscriptions to content they didn't create. Not their hardware...

You are right. The hardware by itself is not amazing.  The remote is well designed but other media players have alright remotes.  While Roku puts a lot of care into RokuOS, the ad revenue sharing is a large source of profits. But ad revenue sharing is also the business model with Android TV and the Google Play store.  It is also the business model of Fire TV and their app store rules.

@MoviesProbably wrote:
Just making money by selling subs that viewers can and should be buying directly from the content provider directly and then using the data they glean from those subscriptions to spew commercials at us on as many apps as possible.

HBO Max selected to be under the reseller model. The ads that appear in HBO Max would still be selected by WarnerMedia. Ad revenue sharing with Google and Amazon doesn't mean that ads comes from either of those companies. It wouldn't be any different with Roku.

@MoviesProbably wrote:
That's not AT&T's fault. They have their problems, many of them, but they didn't push Roku to a potentially unsustainable business model while trying to compete with massive diversified companies like Amazon, Google, Apple, Sony, and Samsung.

You are right that AT&T didn't push Roku into it's business model. It is also not AT&T fault that Roku's stock went from $137 at the beginning of the year to $296 today (an increase of over double).

What is AT&T's fault is their own stock going from $38 to $29.  It is AT&T's fault they terminated HBO GO at the end of July while not having HBO Max released on 70% of media players.  It is their fault it will take 200 days after the release of HBO Max to finally have a movie available in 4k/Ultra-High Definition.

Bottom line for me is Roku and several of the streaming services available on it (most of which are cheaper than HBO Max) are providing plenty of great content (and emmy award winning) with several options in 4k/UHD.

Here is a summary of the months of HBO Max:

May 27th, HBO Max released with ZERO content in 4k/UHD

June 2021 is another month in which HBO Max provided ZIP content 4k/UHD

July 2021 is another month in which HBO Max content in 4k/UHD did not exist at all

August 2021 is another month in which HBO Max failed to deliver 4k/UHD

September 2021 is another month in which HBO Max 4k/UHD was vapor

October 2021 is another month in which HBO Max lacked 4k/UHD

November 2021 is another month of HBO Max without 4k/UHD content

Maybe you should try some of the other services on Roku or try doing screen mirroring of HBO Max.

seawind
Level 7

Jump to solution

Do Google, Apple and Amazon take 30% of ad inventory?

https://developer.roku.com/docs/features/monetization/video-advertisements.md

"The channel controls 70% of its advertising inventory, and keeps 100% of the gross revenue earned on these ads. The remaining 30% of the channel's inventory routes to Roku, in which case Roku retains 100% of gross revenue earned on the ads it delivers."

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 13

Jump to solution

@seawind wrote:

Do Google, Apple and Amazon take 30% of ad inventory?

https://developer.roku.com/docs/features/monetization/video-advertisements.md

"The channel controls 70% of its advertising inventory, and keeps 100% of the gross revenue earned on these ads. The remaining 30% of the channel's inventory routes to Roku, in which case Roku retains 100% of gross revenue earned on the ads it delivers."

Yes, it is my understanding Google and Apple take 30% of ad revenue based on app store policies.

I'm not as sure about Amazon's policies.  I tried doing development for FireOS for a while.  At one point they pushed out an update that made it harder to side-load on FireOS.  I figured it was just a bug and contacted support to file the bug.  I was notified by support they would not escalate my request because it isn't a bug, the change was to my benefit because side-loading may violate the warranty for Fire devices because "it may damage the device."  They couldn't explain what specificly in the text of the warranty they were refering to.  They also couldn't explain how what they claimed wasn't a violation of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act.  But they did re-iterate they would not be escalating my request.  As such, I won't ever release any app for any Amazon product and can't recommend buying any FireOS device.

MSNBC news which has the same parent company as Peacock TV said that Roku offered half off on it's ad revenue sharing.  I would be surprised if Roku didn't offer the same deal of only 15% to HBO Max as well.

But Apple and Google has a long history of not budging on their 30% cut on app sales, add-on sales and ad revenue sharing.  I would be surprised if Apple or Google gave HBO Max any special deal give the other major companies they have been unwilling to give deals to.

Catknox
Level 8

Re: Roku and HBO dispute blocking HBO Max

Jump to solution

If there is indeed a dispute between ROKU and HBO preventing the addition of HBO MAX then ROKU Needs to get over it for sake of it’s customers.  It is the only major streaming service without HBO Max.  ROKU should keep its customers advised on this topic.

0 Kudos
CaptGrumpy
Level 11

Jump to solution

@Catknox wrote:

If there is indeed a dispute between ROKU and HBO preventing the addition of HBO MAX then ROKU Needs to get over it for sake of it’s customers.  It is the only major streaming service without HBO Max.  ROKU should keep its customers advised on this topic.

Wrong. You expect Roku to take a bad deal, just to make you happy? This is a business. The dispute is that HBO doesn't want the deal that everyother content provider gets. Including HBO Go HBO Next etc.

0 Kudos
Catknox
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes I do expect ROKU to get the best deal it can and move forward for its customers.  ROKU is a service company for the benefit of its customers, now it needs to provide that service!

0 Kudos
tae111
Level 9

Jump to solution

I don't know to what degree it is a bad deal for Roku. It seems many other platforms have not taken that position. As far as being a bad deal I am only one person and already know two people that purchased Samsung big screen TV's for Christmas because of this Roku issue. I am really surprised they haven't fixed this issue before the holiday season. It's going to cost TV makers that use Roku for their smart TV platform millions in lost sales this Christmas. Especially since Roku is not way better than the other smart platforms. I bought a TCL 65" TV last February after having Samsung's previously. It looked like a pretty nice TV.  It was the first Roku device I ever owned. If I would have known this was going to be an issue I definitely would have bought another Samsung. My brother in law and my son are also both considering new TV purchases. As of right now TCL's are off the table for them. I bet Samsung loves Roku this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung named the CEO of Roku the employee of the month for them.

0 Kudos
CaptGrumpy
Level 11

Jump to solution

@tae111 wrote:

I don't know to what degree it is a bad deal for Roku. It seems many other platforms have not taken that position. As far as being a bad deal I am only one person and already know two people that purchased Samsung big screen TV's for Christmas because of this Roku issue. I am really surprised they haven't fixed this issue before the holiday season. It's going to cost TV makers that use Roku for their smart TV platform millions in lost sales this Christmas. Especially since Roku is not way better than the other smart platforms. I bought a TCL 65" TV last February after having Samsung's previously. It looked like a pretty nice TV.  It was the first Roku device I ever owned. If I would have known this was going to be an issue I definitely would have bought another Samsung. My brother in law and my son are also both considering new TV purchases. As of right now TCL's are off the table for them. I bet Samsung loves Roku this year. I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung named the CEO of Roku the employee of the month for them.

And yet their stock keeps going up and up. The sad truth is that their shareholders are the only ones they have to make happy. Right now they are happy. 

0 Kudos
metrogordonmeye
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Catknox wrote:

Yes I do expect ROKU to get the best deal it can and move forward for its customers.  ROKU is a service company for the benefit of its customers, now it needs to provide that service!

Roku is first and foremost a business with the agenda of generating profits for its employees and investors. In the long run it's bad for their customers to make bad deals with content providers because, in order for Roku to be an attractive distribution platform, they need to continue to be a profitable company. They are only going to make a deal to carry HBO Max if it makes good business sense and doesn't set a dangerous precedent. That's how they best serve their customers. 

I've been following this topic pretty much since the beginning. I've seen lots of finger pointing aimed at both Roku and AT&T management. But the reality is, the only people who really know what's going on between the two companies and where the sticking points are in negotiations are the principals. Complaining on a forum like this clearly doesn't motivate management to make a deal, especially if it's an unprofitable deal. Since part of Roku's business model is to get a cut of ad revenue, or to sell a certain amount of ad time themselves the fact that some time in 2021 AT&T will launch a lower priced ad-supported version of HBO Max is undoubtedly a factor in those negotiations.

Think of HBO Max as an online retailer selling a hard product. They have to use one or more distributors to get their product into the hands of their customers, like QVC uses UPS to distribute their products to consumers. Just as companies like QVC have to pay delivery companies like FedEx, UPS, USPS, etc for the service of delivering their product to their customers, content providers need to pay companies like Roku for the service of delivering their product to consumers. Roku doesn't owe it to anyone to deliver content into millions of homes for free. That's not their business model. 

Regarding the idea of Roku selling ads on the pending ad-supported version of HBO Max, FYI, it's a common practice for content distribution services like your local cable company and Sirius XM to sell advertising time, replacing some of the national spots that would otherwise appear. Roku already does that with the ad-supported channels it currently carries. It's part of the price of distribution and a big part of how they make their money. 

You've got a choice. You can continue to complain about how Roku and AT&T have yet to get their act together after all these months and deprive yourself of HBO Max. If you're already an HBO subscriber through your cable provider, you can access HBO content (but not the added Max content) via your cable system's On Demand option. You can just quietly wait until they finally work things out. Or you can use an alternative means of accessing HBO Max on your TV. 

If you've got an iPad, iPhone or Mac computer and the upgrade to version 9.4 of the Roku operating system, you can stream HBO Max to your TV via Apple's Airplay 2 functionality. (The trick to that is to actually begin the video, then click on the Airplay icon in the upper right corner of the screen). Or you can get an inexpensive Chromecast, TiVo Stream or Amazon Firestick as a secondary streaming device. 

For myself, I started out using a first generation Chromecast, which works fine to stream HBO Max. And now that my TCL Roku TV has the OS upgrade, I use Airplay to access the service. It's still a work around. But it does work and I'm confident that Roku and AT&T will finally work out a mutually acceptable deal to add the channel.  

0 Kudos