Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bacon
Level 12

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@cromagnon wrote:

@Bacon wrote:

If the announcement today that every Warner movie is hitting HBO Max and theaters on the same day (Matrix 4, Suicide Squad, etc) doesn’t force Roku’s hand, I don’t know what will. 

Surely they will only do this during the COVID-19 mess?!

Once it's over things will go back to normal...WW84 was expected to make $1 billion...how much can it possibly make with only streaming (and without HBO Max being on ROKU)?

That’s short term thinking. HBO/Warner can make a $1bn in a single month with around 67m subs. 

0 Kudos
coneofsilence
Level 8

Jump to solution

If Roku is holding out, waiting for HBOMax to allow all the Max programming to be available thru the Roku Channel app, then Roku is the major blame. I do not know for sure if this is the case, I really hope it is not. HBO is spending billions of dollars on film & TV production and on acquiring exclusive streaming rights for shows like Friends & South Park. Those shows aren't exclusive anymore if they are also available on the Roku app. 

HBO has been part of my life for almost 40 years, I've managed fine without Roku up until about 6 months ago when I bought a Hisense Roku TV. It would be nice if "Max" was on that TV but I've done fine enjoying HBOMax on another TV using a laptop and HDMI cable. 

I'm a retired boomer who cut the cord about 4 years ago, the only thing I missed from Cable/Sat TV was TCM. HBOMax has filled that need nicely, last night I watched The Curse Of Frankenstein from Hammer Studios. I do not need Roku, but classic uncut commercial free films I cannot live without.

Tags (1)
StreamerUser
Level 20

Jump to solution

@cromagnon wrote:

i definitely (as an HBO subscriber) would like to be able to watch HBO Max on one of my 4 Roku's, but i assume that eventually it will be available on Roku, and will just wait it out...i have no plans to buy another streamer and just waste my $$ so i can watch WW1984 on the 1st day, only to have it turn up on my Roku's a week or a month later.

Considering a trip to the movies is easily at least $30, snagging a FireTV 4K Stick for $30 (and which can be used in many other circumstances, like future carriage disputes or bad firmware/app updates) is well worth it..

MoviesProbably
Level 10

Jump to solution

Exactly. Snagging a Fire Stick so you can watch HBO Max is well worth it, especially now that they're really cheap and so many movies are coming. It's insane that we have to do it though. Roku really screwed themselves by digging in like this with a company that can play hardball and then pretending everything was fine with their **bleep** HBO app, which is barely adequate. 

tae111
Level 9

Jump to solution

@MoviesProbably wrote:

Exactly. Snagging a Fire Stick so you can watch HBO Max is well worth it, especially now that they're really cheap and so many movies are coming. It's insane that we have to do it though. Roku really screwed themselves by digging in like this with a company that can play hardball and then pretending everything was fine with their **bleep** HBO app, which is barely adequate. 

I have DIRECTV with HBO. DIRECTV says I get HBO Max at no additional charge. If I use a Fire Stick do I still get that deal or do I have to add a paid subscription through Amazon Fire Stick?

0 Kudos
RolfThomas
Level 7

Jump to solution

I agree.  I have been a loyal Roku customer, but this specific HBO Max issue is enough to have me looking for other options.  Very disappointed.

lamergate
Level 7

Jump to solution

This is not an answer.  When will HBO Max content be available on Roku without a workaround?

Basstonex
Level 7

Jump to solution

Well, the solution to my problem was right in front of me all the time...Airplay...goes through the Roku...better picture quality. than Chromecast was...thank all of you for your help

0 Kudos
gordianus
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just to be safe, I ordered a Fire TV 4k in case ATT and Roku fail. I'm an early adopter of Roku ... I have 4 now, and have bought them as gifts for my adult children and mother-in-law, basically so make their lives easier ( many TV brand upgrades in past 5 years..)

I'm not upset with current HBO Max impasse, just annoyed. I much prefer having a single streaming footprint, but I will say that LG webos 3+ and Samsung Tizen let's me avoid the occasional hdcp 2.2 errors I get with Rokus.

I have 72 apps running on each of my Rokus ... so I will continue to embrace Roku platforms..

FYI.. HBO Max comes with ATT Fiber (for now) ... and I really like high speed internet for streaming, which is why I have Cat 6 runs to my media centers (TVs and Roku devices)

Markhoff12000
Level 8

Jump to solution

This is not an answer.  Firstly, I have really enjoyed my many ROKU devises the last 5 years...a big fan.  But, this HBO Max situation has really disappointed me.  A few days ago, I purchased an Amazon Firestick Lite streaming device (<$20) to tie me over thru X-mas to see WW84.  However, with Warner Bros. announcement today, that all its 2021 films will stream on HBO Max at the same time they play in theaters, I'm now considering replacing more ROKU devices on TVs in my house if this dispute drags into 2021. 

DEAR ROKU, GET A DEAL DONE SOON !!!