Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JayDofMO
Level 7

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@Borisgoodenuf wrote:

@JayDofMO wrote:

I'm thinking HBO Max may have to cave soon because they want to put Wonder Woman 1984 on there, and if they want it to be as big of a hit as possible, they need to get it to Roku so it's available to the widest base possible.

Or you could flip that around. HBO is sitting with a pat hand, while Roku loses holiday sales every day that customers know it's the only platform they can't use to watch WW84 after they open the box on Christmas Day.

You're not wrong. I have a Roku TV and would prefer to just pull up the streaming services I use there, but I have a Chromecast and a Fire TV stick plugged into it, so if they don't work this out by then, I have options.

Still, you can see about 90+% of streaming services on Roku while HBO Max launched without a big must see show (though I do love Doom Patrol, but it wasn't an exclusive then) and so far, its most enticing offerings are movies you can't see in the theater thanks to the pandemic.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

Jump to solution

If you haven't seen Raised by Wolves, I highly recommend it, though it wasn't available at launch  (IMHO, its the only "must see" show on HBO Max).

Sarahmom5
Level 7

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your posts.

Please be aware that HBO Max is currently not available on the Roku platform.

For more information visit www.hbomax.com and subscribe to the latest channel updates at http://blog.roku.com. To access HBO, go to HBO on The Roku Channel or visit the Roku Channel Store to download HBO NOW.

Thanks,
Danny

This is sad. So long ago people had a problem and you are ignoring it while saying you solved it by repeating it out loud. WE WANT HBO MAX. At this point I am switching to Amazon fire sticks. At least they listen to what customers want. Sad. Sad. 

cromagnon
Level 9

Jump to solution

i definitely (as an HBO subscriber) would like to be able to watch HBO Max on one of my 4 Roku's, but i assume that eventually it will be available on Roku, and will just wait it out...i have no plans to buy another streamer and just waste my $$ so i can watch WW1984 on the 1st day, only to have it turn up on my Roku's a week or a month later.

0 Kudos
dwharton
Level 9

Jump to solution

I've ended up switching to Amazon Fire as well. Goodbye Roku

0 Kudos
Borisgoodenuf
Level 9

Jump to solution

Breaking news this afternoon (according to the NY TImes):

Warner to release all its 2021 movies simultaneously to theaters and streaming. The movies — including big-budget extravaganzas like “Suicide Squad 2,” “Godzilla vs. Kong,” “Dune” and “The Matrix 4” — will arrive simultaneously in theaters and on the HBO Max streaming service in the United States.

Posted without further comment.

dwharton
Level 9

Jump to solution

Warner Brothers just made an announcement that all 2021 movies will be coming to HBO Max free of charge to existing subscribers.

“In an unprecedented announcement, the studio will send 17 films — including Wonder Woman, The Suicide Squad, The Matrix 4, Dune, Godzilla vs. Kong, Michael Jordan's Space Jam. Other films include Little Things, Judas and the Black Messiah, Tom & Jerry, Mortal Kombat, Those Who Wish Me Dead, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It, In The Heights, Reminiscence, Malignant, The Many Saints of Newark, King Richard and Cry Macho”

0 Kudos
Bacon
Level 12

Jump to solution

If the announcement today that every Warner movie is hitting HBO Max and theaters on the same day (Matrix 4, Suicide Squad, etc) doesn’t force Roku’s hand, I don’t know what will. 

cromagnon
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Bacon wrote:

If the announcement today that every Warner movie is hitting HBO Max and theaters on the same day (Matrix 4, Suicide Squad, etc) doesn’t force Roku’s hand, I don’t know what will. 

Surely they will only do this during the situation mess?!

Once it's over things will go back to normal...WW84 was expected to make $1 billion...how much can it possibly make with only streaming (and without HBO Max being on ROKU)?

0 Kudos
drbruce2
Level 11

Jump to solution

I really wonder how Roku's revenue stream is going with this HBO Max kerfuffle going on? If they ain't sufferin', then they ain't gonna settle so fast, although 190 days will never be fast.