Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

I recently purchased the Roku Ultra and love the hardware and software, but I personally want to add voice to my discontent with Roku not having HBO Max as an app. I pay for that premium service and don't like having to jimmy rig my electronics to get it. I am a premium streaming service alpha user with subscriptions to YouTube TV, Disney Max, Hulu, Netflix on top of HBO Max. If Amazon Fire TV gets it before Roku, I'll switch over.

0 Kudos
Level 11

Jump to solution

My lawn guy cut the cable to my Directv dish on Monday, so I thought that I'd watch HBO Max on my Roku until it was fixed. The worst 14 hours of my life. Nothing was happening on my HBOMax service on the Roku, BECAUSE IT WASN'T  THERE! So cord cutting did not work for me. RokuDanny-R posted the solution, but what it said was tough noogies, we don't offer it. I'm so glad that Roku and AT&T are  so situation-centric. If i wasn't so **bleep** cheap, I'd but an applwTV box.

0 Kudos
Level 13

Jump to solution

Gentlemen,

The answer is right in front of you.  Always have more than one make or brand of streamer.  As much as I really like my own Roku Ultra and the Roku Streaming Stick +, they did not offer Peacock TV at that app's launch to 2 months later and did not budge until NBC Universal threatened to pull the rest of their apps already offered on Roku's Channel Store out last month.  HBO Max is either a work around or not offered at all right now.

Streaming is NOT the same as traditional cable tv watching.  It is very fragmented and sometimes hit and miss sort of DIY activity.  I do wish people who drop cable understand that part before deciding to cut the cord.  I personally have 2 different brands of Streamers (Roku AND Google) for "insurance" against any more game playing and app blockage for any reason from any platform provider, not just Roku.  Plus my laptop can be used to stream as well.  Think Flexibility always!

0 Kudos
Level 11

Jump to solution

Not a solution RokuDanny-R-  in any way shape or form. Your solution is not a solution. You point us to different web sites that don't post squat about the kerfuffle between Roku and AT&T, so you're essentially useless. Why has Roku kept silent about this 'situation"? Do you not think that Roku owes us, their faithful users, the very people that made Roku number one, the same who were early adopters and spread the word far and wide an darn explanation about what is transpiring? I was going to use a word other than darn, but it always comes out as bleep.

I will wait by my computer to await an answer. One that will never come, just like Santa Claus! 

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Please be aware, I plan to buy a new Chromecast  so I can see HBOmax...not buying any ROKU'S clearly you don't care about your customers...have a nice day.

Level 10

Jump to solution

@gbrenna wrote:

Please be aware, I plan to buy a new Chromecast  so I can see HBOmax...not buying any ROKU'S clearly you don't care about your customers...have a nice day.

We stand aware.  Thanks for the warning! 

BTW, it's Max, not Roku that's at fault IMHO. Max only has 30% market penetration ability, and they think that they are the ones in control. They think Roku will meet their demands by Xmas because... Gifts. Their paid subscriber base is low, and unless they start dealing with the reality that without the platforms, their pontial customer base will shrink to nothing.

0 Kudos
Level 11

Jump to solution

160 days since the inception of HBO Max, and all we've heard from Roku is crickets. One would think that this is sufficient time to come to an agreement.  Don't care who is to blame. I would imagine that if the evil doer was AT&T, Roku would be shouting it from the hilltops, but that ain't happening. Is Roku feeling the heat from all of the complaints? Don't even think they read these community blogs. Maybe one day, when my grand kids are grown they will have HBO Max on the 75th generation of Roku. There is a curse filter so whatever anger I try to express, it will come out as "bleep", so screw it.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Jump to solution

Y'know, Doc, ya same the same thing every few days. We get the point. but many of us have responded to you for the reasons for this. We've told you the steps Roku has taken, trying to make the best of the situation. We've told you that according to HBOMax's CEO isn't going to do anything about it til Christmas.

I know you want a Max app, so do I. I know you say you don't care whose at fault, that's kinda narrowminded imho. I know whose at fault. I have options available to watch Max. You have the same options, but you don't want to take them. You're the one suffering from not having Max, I'm not.

Roku isn't in control here.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

With biden being elected, we can only hope that the abuses of power on Roku's and Amazon's part are hopefully going to come to an end. 

0 Kudos
Level 10

Jump to solution

@ChaosLadder wrote:

With biden being elected, we can only hope that the abuses of power on Roku's and Amazon's part are hopefully going to come to an end. 

lol. 

/sigh. This isn't an abuse of power on either Roku or Amazon's part. They are a platform. HBOMax has to pay to play. Roku never EVER promised to have every single app that is available. Plus, they've been trying to create workarounds for us so we can watch the bloody thing. If you don't want to take advantage of it, that's on you. Roku is a business and will not take a deal that is bad for them.

Once again, Warnermedia's CEO said he won't do anything til after Christmas. It takes 2 to tango, and, for now Warner isn't dancing. So, how is it Roku's fault?

0 Kudos