Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

"it's getting harder to recommend Roku"  Agreed.  Roku is on it's way out.  It USED TO BE the one device that carried everything -- one stop for all apps. Which is sad, as I used to like roku but anymore it's falling so behind -- I've been using other devices for the last 6 months and barely turn on roku anymore.

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

"it's getting harder to recommend Roku"  Agreed.  Roku is on it's way out.  It USED TO BE the one device that carried everything -- one stop for all apps. Which is sad, as I used to like roku but anymore it's falling so behind -- I've been using other devices for the last 6 months and barely turn on roku anymore.

Tags (2)
Level 8

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your posts.

Please be aware that HBO Max is currently not available on the Roku platform.

For more information visit www.hbomax.com and subscribe to the latest channel updates at http://blog.roku.com. To access HBO, go to HBO on The Roku Channel or visit the Roku Channel Store to download HBO NOW.

Thanks,
Danny

You do realize that your solution is restating the problem?

Calling this a solution actually vindicates all the people who have been complaining about Roku's failure to inform the customers what is going on, or at least acknowledge our pain. And kind of makes those of us who have been even slightly defending you look like dupes or shills. Good job, you alienate your detractors and defenders in a single post.

Well said.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

Please be aware that your platform will no longer be available for use in our home and businesses if you don't get your **bleep** act together and GET HBOMAX on your platform! IDIOTS !!

Tell your Boss "Thanks for nothing" Danny.

Level 9

Jump to solution

@Matt-M wrote:

@Borisgoodenuf wrote:

@Iona-D wrote:

Just get a Chromecast With Google TV.  It has everything you need.  Including HBO Max.  Waiting for anyone of those involved parties to come through is a big waste of your valuable time.

Roku will come through like accepting Peacock TV eventually.  Waiting around is pointless.

Yup. That's what I did a couple of weeks back. While folks here continue to debate whose fault it is, when it might end, or future impact on the company, I can enjoy watching HBO Max on my new Chromecast.

Yep. I finally gave up as well. A new  Apple 4K TV shows up today and will be replacing my Roku Premiere. 

Quick update for anyone still wanting a native HBO Max app on their streaming device.  Apple TV received, easy setup and HBO Max looks great.  We still have 2 other Rokus and a Roku TV in other rooms, but at least we can watch HBO Max easily in our media room.  For now, this will work.  But honestly, if Roku can't sort out the disagreement with AT&T/HBO, there is high probability I will end up replacing the other Rokus over time.

Unsubscribing from this thread and appreciate all the understandably heated discussion :-)

Level 13

Jump to solution

@Raven1Viper wrote:

Hello Raven1Viper (member since October 27, 2020),

Six months before October 27th is April 27.

This thread is about HBO Max, a service released May 27th.  That is the reason the thread starts on June 9th, a date after May 27th rather than before.

It really is not that sad you used to like Roku but decided for yourself to use other devices--this is called free will.  I'm not sure what the real reason is that you "been using other devices for the last 6 months" but it is clearly unreleated to HBO Max since the service was not released yet.

Hopefully whatever device you do use since April 27th makes you happy instead of sad.  As an added bonus, they may also have a community forum so you can express your happyness there instead of feeling the needs to express being "sad" here.

As to "[Roku] falling so behind," your specific use of free will is known as a "case study" of *one* data point rather than statistically significant.

Investors that back their opinion of Roku with their dollars by buying or selling Roku stock have taken a different stance on if Roku is falling behind.

On Jan 1st, Roku stock was at 137 and is now trading at 222 (162% of beginning of year value)

Parent company of HBO/WarnerMedia is AT&T which on Jan 1st was trading at 39 and now is trading below 27 (70% of beginning of year value).

Some of the articles that Google Finance show as related to Roku's stock are:

"Were Hedge Funds Right About Roku, Inc. (ROKU)?"

"Is Roku Stock a Buy?"

"Building An Actionable Bullish Thesis Around Roku Earnings"

"Roku Just Partnered With Its Biggest Competitor"

Some articles Google Finance show related to AT&T's stock include:

"Forget AT&T, China Mobile Is a Cheaper 5G Telecom Stock"

"AT&T: Job Cuts To Nowhere"

That second article published by Seeking Alpha makes some interesting statements about what is going on related to HBO:

The troubling part is the recent announcement of 20% cost cuts at WarnerMedia. AT&T obtained HBO with the Time Warner deal and was suppose to turn the streaming service into a prime competitor with Netflix (NFLX). AT&T needs to invest in this business in order to be competitive, but the company is doing the exact opposite.

Later in the same article:

AT&T needs to grow the revenue base to make the employees more productive and HBO probably needs more consistent content in order to compete with Netflix. All of which probably can't be accomplished by slashing employees.

From what I can tell, Roku has done everything it can to negotiate in good faith to enrich it's platform and investors seem to agree.  On the other hand, AT&T/WarnerMedia/HBO seems to be backed into a corner trying to recover from poor business decisions that have made 2020 a bad year for AT&T.  As far as I can tell, the decision to ban 70% of HBO Go users from devices that worked fine is one of those poor business decisions.

As I see it, either AT&T makes HBO Max available on Roku by the end of December or they admit in the next 10-K form filing with the SEC that their projections for HBO Max subscribers may be at risk.

If you ever take a break from being "sad" and watching HBO Max, you might find this famous story interesting:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goliath 

Level 10

Jump to solution

@SeanB2000 wrote:

Currently in my house, we have 4 TV's with ROKU.  We subscribe to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, Hulu Live and HBO Max.  I have to say I am very disappointed that ROKU has yet to work something out with HBO.  Yes, I added the HBO Max hub to my HULU account but there is a LOT of content that ROKU is blocking, like new original movies.  If I have to choose, I will find a platform that does not block premium content.   Make a deal!

Roku is not blocking. HBOmax is the culprit. They are liars. They knew I was a Roku user when I signed up for the pre-launch deals and didn't tell me they weren't on Roku.  Max's CEO Jason whatever says he expects Roku to cave to their demands by Christmas because...gifts. Max's position is that they are bigger than they think they are. Max can only reach 30% of the streaming population because, besides Roku, they aren't on Amazon Fire. These 2 streamers represent 70% of the market. Max seems satisfied with this.

If you want to spend more money to change platforms, you have the right to, but you can miracast Max from your android device to your Roku for no charge. Is it ideal? No. But it is a simple workaround that costs nothing. That's what I'm doing, and it'll do til Max comes to it's senses.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Jump to solution

@fluke wrote:

Hello Raven1Viper (member since October 27, 2020),

For decades, whatever TV service I've been on has always had a dispute with some content provider at any given instant, and there have always been people who joined their forum on that day to tell us that they are leaving because of it.  I've always found that to be an interesting phenomenon.

Fortunately, we live in a golden age of TV.  Any one of these streaming gizmos will provide more TV than most people have time to watch.  And yet, every one of these gizmos is also incredibly cheap and tiny, so, get one, get two, or get eleven – all seem like perfectly acceptable solutions.

0 Kudos
Level 7

Jump to solution

HBO MAX is just asking for the same fair deal Apple TV and Disney Plus got. Amazon and Roku just want to bully HBO MAX into staying in their Prime Video Channels and Roku Channels.

Anyone who says that HBO MAX is demanding a better deal than what Disney Plus and Apple TV got is misinformed.

Media companies like Disney, Universal and Viacom are restructuring and cutting employees due to covid. Since the new focus for these companies is streaming, it stands to reason that this shift would also cause a media company to disinvest in legacy portions of the business.

0 Kudos
Level 13

Jump to solution

@ChaosLadder wrote:

HBO MAX is just asking for the same fair deal Apple TV and Disney Plus got. Amazon and Roku just want to bully HBO MAX into staying in their Prime Video Channels and Roku Channels.

Not exactly.  Apple TV is a device and HBO Max is a streaming service.  Did you mean to say Apple TV+?

I checked HBO Max's list of providers that resell HBO Max and the problem is much worse than you say!

There is over 200 Cable/Satellite providers that resell HBO Max and 3 digital subscription providers.  Every single one of them has successfully bullied HBO Max into being on the reseller model!  How awful for them to even be bullied by the mighty "Cable Co-op" into allowing the reselling of HBO Max if they don't want to!!  Then there is "Ziply Fiber" (a company founded in 2020) also forced poor little pathetic HBO Max into the reseller model too.  This makes me shed a tear for AT&T/WarnerMedia that can't hold it's own.

I completely sympathize with your insane perspective that Roku should never expect HBO Max to be provided under the reseller model just because 200+ providers "bullied" them into that business model.  It isn't like Roku would be just be trying to level the playing field with the other providers.

@ChaosLadder wrote:

Anyone who says that HBO MAX is demanding a better deal than what Disney Plus and Apple TV got is misinformed.

I agree, anyone who does say HBO Max is demanding a better deal than Apple TV (a streaming device) would be misinformed since it is Apple and oranges to compare the two.

HBO Max seems to be trying to demand terms on ad revenue sharing changed for them.  There is no indication that either Disney Plus or Apple TV+ ever demands terms on ad revenue sharing be changed.  They both seem happy to share 30% of the *ZERO* ads they will be playing in 2021.  HBO Max on the other hand has stated there will be an ad-tier in 2021 so they very much are demanding a deal that those other two services have not.

Try just doing a google (or bing if that is your perfer search engine, I will judge but don't let that stop you) for the following three things:

"HBO Max ad tier"

"Disney Plus ad tier"

"Apple TV+ ad tier"

Then come back and educate us further on how HBO Max wants the same ad revenue sharing terms that Disney Plus and Apple TV+ have agree to.