Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drbruce2
Level 11

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Well, being the loyal Roku user, I followed 's suggestion that I go to blog.roku.com and www.hbomax.com for more information about the current situation between Roku and HBO Max.

The blog.roku.com does not have one word about about about HBO Max, and www.hbomax.com does not have one word about Roku.So I went back to the first site in case I missed something, but alas I didn't. So I said to myself drbruce2-go back to the second site because good old RokuDanny-R would never ever lead us astray. No,no! Good old RokuDanny-R wouldn't do that. So I went back to the second site, which you remember was www.hbomax.com to  try to find out what was going on between these two behemoths of industry, but again whether  it was my faulty compression, a solar flare or some other natural catastrophe, there was no explanation.

So good old RokuDanny-R-

#1- Has not solved this problem

#2- Has sent his faithful readers on a never ending quest for the truth. Something that this faithful Roku user has failed to accomplish.

So RokuDanny-R you have failed us. Miserably!

wandar2u
Level 9

Jump to solution

How would I go about casting to it from my mac?

0 Kudos
debsmith5065
Level 10

Jump to solution

@wandar2u wrote:

At the moment we can't - supposedly there is going to be a Roku update this month which will support AirPlay so we can cast from an apple device.

metrogordonmeye
Level 9

Jump to solution

@wandar2u wrote:

The simplest, most cost effective way is to buy either one of the new Chromecasts or Tivo Stream devices, both of which sell for about $50. I cast from my iPad or Android phone using a Chromecast and the Google Home app. I'm on a Windows 10 desktop PC and since it's in the other room, I haven't even tried to cast from my computer, but it would probably be the same. 

If you have an AppleTV streaming device, or the newest generation of Roku (assuming that announced upgrade has been implemented), you can use Apple Airplay to cast pretty much anything on your Mac to your TV. I used to sell AppleTV devices and they're pretty good, but considerably pricier than a new Chromecast or Tivo  Stream, though you can probably find a good price on a used one on either Craigslist or eBay. 

0 Kudos
Poundsand
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Borisgoodenuf wrote:

Update: I've also bought and installed the new Chromecast in order to get HBO Max, and cancelled my Roku HBO subscription. As of now, I prefer Roku's channel-based interface, maybe just because it's what I'm used to, so I'm sticking with Roku for most other channels. That may change when I install the Atmos speakers, because the Chromecast supports the channels that stream Atmos.

You can change the Google interface to channel based. I felt the same way until I turned off disney+ from the recommendations (which totally simulated for me) - it's actually pretty good  for me after that. Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
d82drobs
Level 7

Re: Roku and HBO dispute blocking HBO Max

Jump to solution

Not quite true. HBO is offering Roku HBO Max at a reasonable price, however Roku does not believe they should have to pay for anything, and with Roku having a total net worth of approximately 1.5 Billion dollars, it's not like they can't afford to pay.

HBO is being smart Roku is not. As others have said on here it's only going to hurt Roku not HBO. When Roku sales start declining maybe they'll reconsider, and figure out without us customers they wouldn't to exist

0 Kudos
fluke
Level 13

Jump to solution

@d82drobs wrote:

Not quite true. HBO is offering Roku HBO Max at a reasonable price, however Roku does not believe they should have to pay for anything, and with Roku having a total net worth of approximately 1.5 Billion dollars, it's not like they can't afford to pay.

HBO is being smart Roku is not. As others have said on here it's only going to hurt Roku not HBO. When Roku sales start declining maybe they'll reconsider, and figure out without us customers they wouldn't to exist

Interesting, can you site your news source for the reasonable price offered to Roku and Amazon?

From what I can tell, neither Apple or Google paid anything to get HBO Max distributed in their app stores.  If total net worth of an app store owner should be the basis of payment to get an app, shouldn't they have had to pay even more than Roku and Amazon are being demanded to?

If Roku sales is less this year, I think it is more likely it will be because the situation impacts the number they are able to manufactor in time for black friday and cyber monday.  If they once again sell their entire stock of Roku Ultras like they did last year, it is hard to say paying money to AT&T could have resulted in more sales.  You can only sell 100% of your entire existing inventory once, there is no 110% of inventory sales by agreeing to deals.

I'm also not sure hardware sales is the biggest form of income for them at this point.  They have released the Roku Channel free movies and tv shows app for Amazon Fire TV.  So, they must be still making money off ads even if the hardware is not their own.  On Android TV, I have been able to use the Puffin TV browser to access Roku Channel website at https://therokuchannel.roku.com/  As far as I can tell, Roku is still making money off me watching Roku Channel even when I'm not using my Roku hardware.

Three things I have *NOT* been able to address:
(1) Apple TV+ subscription service is not available on Google Play store, Android TV or Google TV at all

(2) Jason Kilar, CEO of HBO/WarnerMedia, sounds in interviews like a villian in a James Bond film and is laying off thousands of people in the middle of a pandemic

(3) HBO Max is the worst value of subscription services on Google Play: NONE of the content in 4K/UHD, top 100 rated movies remain largely the same every month, worst navigation/categorization, search input is a straight line of letter require hitting left/right a lot instead of a more logical grid, etc.  This was launched almost 5 months ago and AT&T/HBO couldn't address at least one of these issues yet?!

None of these three issues are Roku's fault, I can get Apple TV+ on Roku, Jason Kilar seemly lacking any idea of morals/ethics is outside of Roku control and the lack of quality in HBO Max is very much outside of Roku's control.  But at least Roku Channel is giving me access to plenty of free movies and tv shows for when I cancel the "hot mess" (as stated by John Olver on HBO Max) that is HBO Max.

Oh, please don't forget to say what news source you found that indicates the "hot mess" could be bought by Roku at a "reasonable price."

Thank you so very much!

ChaosLadder
Level 7

Jump to solution

Roku wants to push Warnermedia into putting HBO MAX into their Roku Channels. Warnermedia obviously doesn't want to put HBO MAX content on Roku Channels, because it would be destructive for their future. 

Services on channels suffer higher churn rates and owners of said services, get limited customer data if anything. You could see how these things would complicate customer retention efforts for HBO MAX. It's not for nothing that DisneyPlus isn't on Roku Channels.

Jason Kilar should just wait, he shouldn't rush the media company into a bad deal. Let the content trickle in and evaluate later.

0 Kudos
Fred3
Level 10

Jump to solution

AT&T CEO John Stankey is all over the news giving interviews explaining the HBO MAX holdup. Stankey claims that the historically monopolistic AT&T is being victimized by comparatively small ROKU because ROKU is trying to uphold existing deals. Stankey says he couldn’t be more pleased that 70% of existing paying customers cannot access the service via Amazon, ROKU and webOS and with the anemic number of new subscribers. Presumably Stankey also couldn’t be more pleased that he has flushed the stock price of AT&T to recent lows not seen since the mid 1990s.

https://thedesk.matthewkeys.net/2020/10/stankey-hbo-max-roku-amazon/

0 Kudos
bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@d82drobs wrote:

Huh? Last I heard HBO offering Roku a reasonable price wouldn't even be part of the negotiations, based on the way streaming deals usually work (as I understand it). Sources, please.

0 Kudos