Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

So do you think that it would be a wise business decision to cut better deals with Peacock and HBO than what they have with current streaming clients?

I don’t.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@BagOfIce wrote:

1) Downloaded HBO Max to iPhone

2) Registered / signed up using my cable company log in info

3) Searched for Sopranos

4) Started watching on iPhone.

5) Sent to my LG Smart TV via Air Play

6) Done.

For all the complaining people are doing it took only a few minutes to solve the "problem". 

You can literally do this with any streaming app so if that’s what you want, you don’t need Roku at all.  This is not solving the problem.

You can also watch it on a PS4 or an Apple TV too. The problem is people want to watch their content through a single device or interface. **bleep**, I’d actually prefer it if HBO Max just integrated their content into Hulu. Then I wouldn’t need a separate HBO Max app on Roku. But no one is making it easy. 

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@dwharton wrote:

"Actually to put some context to this statement, that $9 monthly plan allows you to stream on only one device at a time.  In order to stream on 3 (which is what HBO Max allows), you would need to upgrade to the $16 a month plan, Netflix allows 4 simultaneous streams on that plan.  We subscribe to Netflix as well and have the $16 plan for multiple streams : ))"

You could lock in $12/month for HBO Max with the new promo they are running. Netflix would cost $16/month for the same number of screens.  

Saying it is the "same number of screens" is a little deceptive as it makes it sound like HBO Max is providing the same exact thing for cheaper.  They aren't.

At $16 per month, Netflix provides four streams in which all of them can be to Ultra High-Definition/4k (3840x2160 or 8 MegaPixels) screens.  Currently they have 500+ movies and 6,000+ episodes in UHD.

At $12 per month, HBO Max provides four screens up to HD resolution (1920x1080).  Coming in at only 2 MegaPixel, HBO Max is providing content at a quarter (25%) of the resolution of Netflix content.  There is *ZERO* content that takes advantage of UHD to any of tthe four concurrent streams permitted by HBO Max.

It should also be noted the "SAVEFOR12" terms and conditions only allow for it to apply to new or returning HBO Max customers.  Any loyal customers already signed up for HBO Max are still getting hit with the full $15 fee for a service that completely lacks UHD.

As a side note, Amazon has a deal on the TCL 43S425 43" 4K UHD Roku TV for $230.  If you are spending $16 per month on Netflix then feel free to get one and see what an UHD capable service really provides.

So, I am still not seeing how Netflix is being greedy.  If jmsherman8 is willing to bring up greed, it still looks to me that HBO Max is the one delivering on less and demanding far $$more$$ in return.  From where I am sitting, there is a clear crisp picture that Netflix provides more value.

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@dwharton wrote:

What do you think is better - Sabrina, Apple TV or Tivo?  I want to have a platform that is as open as possible.  

Nicely put and accuractly described for being open to all..  There is another Android/Chromecast device you left out for your consideration list above.  Xiaomi MI Stick & Box series models.

0 Kudos
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Iona-D wrote:

@dwharton wrote:

What do you think is better - Sabrina, Apple TV or Tivo?  I want to have a platform that is as open as possible.  

Nicely put and accuractly described for being open to all..  There is another Android/Chromecast device you left out for your consideration list above.  Xiaomi MI Stick & Box series models.

I second that Mi Box S is the best from those options.  To add to that, Kodi (which can be installed on the Mi Box S) is probably the most open platform you can find.  Xiaomi seem to have manufactored the device themselves and has a long history of making Android products (they have made Android phones of 5+ years).

Roku is the next most open platform.  A little known fact is Roku allows you to side-load one Roku app for developer purposes for free.  Also large percentage of the source code that runs on Roku devices is made freely available by Roku for anyone to download from a Box account.

Mi Stick removes the USB port available on the Mi Box for only a $20 savings.  As far as I am consern, it isn't worth it.

Google Project Sabrina doesn't exist yet.  Latest rumor is it will be "released" September 30th.  My experience has been when Google says something is released they really mean they are taking pre-orders for something that won't actually ship for at least another month.  Maybe by November people will actually be able to get them.  Until then, it is hard to make a comparison of it is better.  If you are willing to hold out til November for Sabrina, then maybe just wait til December (which is when I expect HBO Max to come to Roku).

Tivo Stream 4k not as good as the Mi Box S.  The Stream app is poorly written and causes the Home app to crash (producing only a black screen).  The product is actually manufactored by SEI Robotics as a way for Tivo to rush into the Android TV market.  Tivo has no experience with selling Android devices in the past and there is no sign that Xperi (parent company of Tivo) has any long term commitment to the product.

Apple TV is a matter of taste but is the least open of the products.  To side-load your own apps for development requires paying Apple a $100 per year developer fee and the development environment requires a Mac to run.  Before paying $150 or $200 for an Apple TV, I recommend seeing if a friend can let you tried using their's.  The front of the Siri remote is made of glass and the battery is non-replacable. Also, recharging the remote requires using an Apple prioritary lightning cable.  There are plenty of people that seem to worship the products released from Cupertino and I don't deny that they are very happy with the odd design decisions.  But, I personally don't like it.  Thank goodness that Sir Jony Ive and Phil Schiller have left Apple.

As an additional observation, I don't think either the Google Play Store or Apple AppStore provided more open terms to either HBO or Peacock TV.  Rather, their 30% of the market is too small of the overall pie to make it worth while for them to debate the terms.  Also, by having their services on the Play Store and AppStore, they are able to use that as leverage for making demands regarding the other 70% of the market.  If people unhappy with Roku are able to shift the market such that the Play Store (Sabrina, Mi Box, Mi Stick, Tivo Stream) or AppStore (Apple TV) becomes the majority market share, we may be just shuffling the dirt around.  The next major streaming service hold-out may just be against whoever the new majority market share holder is.

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

I chose the MI Stick for being so tiny space saver and light in weight.  Far less stress on my delicate HMDI port it's on.  The Roku Ultra has the USB port.  I am waiting for the another device in the Android world to complete the collection.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2020/6/4/21280279/roku-hbo-max-dispute-st...

This link doesn’t answer your question but it gives more info than the Roku moderator did.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Just picked up Tivo and Apple TV last week (different rooms), Tivo is very solid, I use android. The picture from the Apple is SHARP and quick. hate, I mean really hate the remote though....I will still use it though 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

How exactly do you get HBOmax on the firestick? #Rokuneedstostepup

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I give you until Oct. 1, 2020 - No HBO MAX or Peacock. Then I will switch to AppleTV. 

0 Kudos