Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Roku: Come to an agreement with HBO Max or I am Leaving

Jump to solution

Do you work for Roku? Or have Roku Stock Jmsherman8?

Level 7

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Problem is we are paying the same for half the content on HBO and I have a Ruku TV so I can't even get max through HULU or Apple TV.  Can't even get it off my Computer.  Total BS. Feel like selling all my Ruku stuff and go back to Apple TV

Jump to solution

@reelme2004 wrote:

Problem is we are paying the same for half the content on HBO and I have a Ruku TV so I can't even get max through HULU or Apple TV.  Can't even get it off my Computer.  Total BS. Feel like selling all my Ruku stuff and go back to Apple TV

I've said this in other posts, but it bears repeating. First of all, I think it's inevitable that EVENTUALLY, Roku will offer both the HBO Max and Peacock apps. But who knows how long that will take? And it's infuriating that nobody from Roku is providing any kind of updates or even publicly acknowledging how many of their previously loyal customers they've pissed off. 

As a short term inexpensive solution, as long as you've got a current browser, you should be able to access both HBO Max and Peacock on your computer, tablet and/or smart phone that you can use to cast either of those apps to your TV, assuming you have an open HDMI slot. The most cost effective solution is to either get a $30 Chromecast or a $50 Tivo 4K Stream stick. I'm successfully using the Chromecast to cast both apps fo my Roku powered TV from both my iPad and my Android phone.

If you go the Tivo route, you'll also get a dedicated remote control (a handy tool) and, according to Tivo's website, their streamer has the HBO Max app already installed and has incorporated Chromecast technology so you can cast other apps from your smartphone, tablet or computer. Don't have a tablet yet? Best Buy has Android tablets on sale starting at under $50. 

Level 12

Jump to solution

@demsd wrote:

@Jmsherman8 wrote:

Here is the problem if it isn't the game we want to see then we don't go, and there goes there ad revenue they seem to be so worried about. Also if the game isn't what we want, then there are other stadiums to go to. Tivo Stream 4k rings a bell.

That's right. Peacock TV loses ad revenue, as well as paid subscribers. HBO Max will lose the advertising revenue too once it starts showing ads, as well as the paid subscribers. They have more to lose than Roku. Those other stadiums are 70% smaller, so HBO Max and Peacock TV won't make money in them. The cost to put on the games will put 'em in the red.

At any rate. I love how you keep agreeing with me.

Oh I don't agree with you.

0 Kudos
Level 12

Jump to solution

@demsd wrote:

@Jmsherman8 wrote:

What's wrong dems, are you afraid that Roku is going to end up shut down when all there profits go? 

Nobody but you Roku Community Criers are complaining about anything here, slick. Get yourself an Android TV and be done with it already. Save yourself the anguish.

Oh make no mistake, I already have. I have tested the Tivo stream 4k, and I have a Nvidea shield here already. Its done. My Roku's are collecting dust.

Level 12

Jump to solution

@demsd wrote:

@Jmsherman8 wrote:

Well here is the problem for you, I recommend which streaming boxes to buy to a variety of people. I actively encourage them to NOT buy ROKU at this point. 

It's no problem for me or Roku. The one or two people you recommended buy Roku's isn't going to boost Roku's revenue.

You and the handful or two of Roku Community Criers are of no real value for the mere fact that loyalty is lost on people like you. They know that and have no doubt done the numbers. Which is why HBO Max and Peacock TV are not on Roku, or Amazon Fire TV for that matter.

LMAO, oh thats right you don't realize I work in the industry. Ooops. Your bosses at ROKU are going to be upset. Now go get yourself another cup of coffee.

0 Kudos
Level 12

Re: Roku: Come to an agreement with HBO Max or I am Leaving

Jump to solution

@caroljj wrote:

Do you work for Roku? Or have Roku Stock Jmsherman8?

No Carol, think that they would be very put out with me recommending Tivo Streams as a solution to this if I did.

Level 13

Jump to solution

@metrogordonmeye wrote:

@reelme2004 wrote:

I've said this in other posts, but it bears repeating. First of all, I think it's inevitable that EVENTUALLY, Roku will offer both the HBO Max and Peacock apps. But who knows how long that will take? And it's infuriating that nobody from Roku is providing any kind of updates or even publicly acknowledging how many of their previously loyal customers they've pissed off. 

As a short term inexpensive solution, as long as you've got a current browser, you should be able to access both HBO Max and Peacock on your computer, tablet and/or smart phone that you can use to cast either of those apps to your TV, assuming you have an open HDMI slot. The most cost effective solution is to either get a $30 Chromecast or a $50 Tivo 4K Stream stick. I'm successfully using the Chromecast to cast both apps fo my Roku powered TV from both my iPad and my Android phone.

If you go the Tivo route, you'll also get a dedicated remote control (a handy tool) and, according to Tivo's website, their streamer has the HBO Max app already installed and has incorporated Chromecast technology so you can cast other apps from your smartphone, tablet or computer. Don't have a tablet yet? Best Buy has Android tablets on sale starting at under $50. 

I agree with a lot of this.  However, I feel the need to nitpick on a couple points.

(1) I'm not sure what you expect Roku to say.  They released an official statement to the press back in June and not much has changed since then that they can publicly comment on.  I share your frustration but at this point I think Roku's hands are tied by nature of needing to keep discussions private and maintaining obligations to investors.

(2) I agree that Peacock TV and HBO MAX need to eventually appear on Roku.  Both parent companies of these services are publicly traded companies with stated goals for number of new subscribers they will get to sign up.  It just isn't possible to reach those goals without being on Roku.  However, it is odd to word it as Roku offering the apps.  Technically these apps are authored and offered (or currently not offered) by the providers of the services themselves.

(3) Using a browser on a system with HDMI or laptop with Miracast (to a Roku or Smart TV with Miracast) is the cheapest way to get access to these services.  There is still some convience lost with this solution.  Also, going from Roku to Chromecast or TS4k is kind of jarring for novice users.  Chromecast forces someone to use a phone as their remote.  TS4k is full of bloatware by default resulting in their own forums giving advice on how to de-tivo the TS4k.  Currently, I prefer the Xiaomi Mi Box S as a stand-by solution as it is closer to feeling like a Roku (while still falling slightly short).  

(4) BestBuy has *one* tablet below $50 which is Ematic EGQ347 which has Android 5.  While this is technically still Android, it does not provide access to all the latest apps in the Play Store.  In the case of HBO MAX, the version of Android must be version 9 or higher.  Best Buy also lists the Lenovo TB-7305F for $64 on it's website but that tablet does has Android v9.  Also when shopping cheap tablets/phones, avoid Android Go Edition (even if it is v9 or higher) if you want to be able to run HBO MAX.

0 Kudos
Level 13

Jump to solution

It is true.  HBO Max and Peacock will appear on Roku sometime in the future.  If everything works out for all parties-except for the users themselves.  Some cannot wait and have since are using Android TV, Chromecast, or some other Google influenced device or lesser smart tv to get what they want RIGHT NOW, not in a pie-in-the-sky future.    I (a real techno-klutz) even learned how to operate more sophisticated devices far above the simple interface that Roku OS is.  I wanted to view what I wanted RIGHT NOW as I am paying for those same apps & cannot wait around.  

Secret Corporate Discussions on how to settle the impasse will not really help the average joe consumer make informed decisions on what is best for their own people.  People are not corporations and don't have and unlimited bank account to always bail out a poor choice in streamer as it does not offer everything what the user wants on the home screen.  The current discussions (assuming they are still going on) are not accomplishing much of anything at the user level.   Fragmentation of the Streaming World will not only continue, but accelerate.  Will this prove to be a good thing?  Or will people flock back to-yikes-cable?  We will see.  Stay tuned to this forum.

Level 10

Jump to solution

@metrogordonmeye wrote:

@reelme2004 wrote:

TBH, I just tried mirrorcast {or smatrview as Samsung calls it) and steam it from phone to TV). No extra cost. Is it ideal? No but it'll do till Roku and hbo get their **bleep** together. Only reason I tried this ^cuz I'd gotten an upgrade offe from DC universe for about $5/mo for 6mos. 

So endeth my frustration for now.

0 Kudos