Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 12

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@CaptainLuke wrote:

HBO's terms dont seem to be a problem for Apple, Microsoft, or Sony. If Roku doesn't want to agree they are free to, just like they are free to lose subscribers to more competitive services. I don't owe Roku anything, they havent done anything to earn that loyalty. If they don't want to keep up with consumer trends they can go ahead and lose revenue. Pretty straightforward business decision, either it is acceptable losses or it isnt.

Exactly.

0 Kudos
Level 12

Jump to solution

@XavaX wrote:

Thats a bit simplistic.  We don’t know what was negotiated between HBO and the other streaming platforms.  Maybe HBO demanded special treatment from everyone.  Maybe Roku has a specific term which is different from the others.

It’s not as simple as saying “the consumers want it, so let’s agree to whatever content providers demand”.

If Roku did that, then three things would happen:  1. You could watch whatever content you wanted, everything would be available!  2. All content providers would demand zero fees from Roku.  3. Roku would go out of business.  And you would have to switch to another platform, making the market even less competitive.

Roku’s terms are fine for every other content provider.  What makes HBO Max deserve special treatment?

@XavaX wrote:

Thats a bit simplistic.  We don’t know what was negotiated between HBO and the other streaming platforms.  Maybe HBO demanded special treatment from everyone.  Maybe Roku has a specific term which is different from the others.

It’s not as simple as saying “the consumers want it, so let’s agree to whatever content providers demand”.

If Roku did that, then three things would happen:  1. You could watch whatever content you wanted, everything would be available!  2. All content providers would demand zero fees from Roku.  3. Roku would go out of business.  And you would have to switch to another platform, making the market even less competitive.

Roku’s terms are fine for every other content provider.  What makes HBO Max deserve special treatment?

Size? Catalog? Content? you know everything that you want when you buy a streaming box.

0 Kudos
Level 12

Re: Roku and HBO dispute blocking HBO Max

Jump to solution

@CaptainLuke wrote:

Ah yes, a "small amount" of content, like South Park (the only place you can stream it now that it left Hulu) or the entirety of the DC Universe content. Right... Practically the same thing! What was I thinking. Of course a handful of mega popular titles/content series is the same as having a handful of movies you can watch on most other platforms and the HBO original content.

Why are you all bootlicking for a company that doesnt care about you beyond taking your money? Do you have stock options or something?

Well said.

0 Kudos
Level 12

Re: Roku and HBO dispute blocking HBO Max

Jump to solution

@DougG wrote:

@warng213 wrote:

HBO Now still works on RoKu and is basically HBO Max minus a small amount of the on demand library that HBO Max expands upon. 

HBO can put HBO Max Chanel up on RoKu anytime they want. RoKu is not stopping them. Amazon is not stopping them either.  It's definitely not RoKu's fault. Be patient,  it will be available soon and meanwhile,  HBO Now has 80% of everything on HBO Max, including all the new shows.

What?   HBOMAX is a whole lot more than just HBO content.  That is like comparing  the entire Netflix catalog and Netflix original content.    The HBOMAX app was ready, go read all the press releases.  Roku stopped the roll out, Not WB/HBOMax.    I am not saying that HBOMAX/ATT/WB are clean in this fight, but you need to take off the roku-colored glasses.  

I don't think  that is an option for some of these people.

Level 12

Jump to solution

@demsd wrote:

@drbruce2 wrote:

While there have been only perhaps a few dozen people complaining, I indeed will do the math. Have you seen anybody praising Roku for the exclusion of HBO Max? For that matter, does everybody who is dissatisfied with the lack of HBO Max have to express this on the community forum? Most are just grumbling to themselves.

Oh, I see. Since no one is saying how happy they are that HBO Max isn't on Roku, that is an indication that millions of people are unhappy. Nobody but the Roku Community Criers care about HBO Max and Peacock TV.

Dem do you work at ROKU? lol

0 Kudos
Level 12

Jump to solution

@XavaX wrote:

@CaptainLuke wrote:

LMAO, now who is being simplistic? You essentially call my argument reductionist then you make a reductionist argument?

First, thats what acceptable losses are you dingus. If the demand outweighs the amount of profit to be made, then they won't accept it and it will be the smart decision even if people like me move to another service. If the amount of customers lost to other services outweighs the cost of the terms, then you accept and find ways to supplement your income stream. Its not up to me to make Roku's business succeed. Clearly there is something in their profit structure that is preventing them from being competitive. If you arent competitive you lose customers, thems the breaks. If you are mad at how that works I suggest advocating for a different economic system, and I say that honestly. Capitalism sucks but thats how it works. I have to look out for my own bottom line and my own interests, not Roku's.

I’m not trying to start a flame war.  I’m just trying to say that it’s unfair to put the blame on Roku.  Essentially every other content provider is completely fine with how Roku does business.  Now all of a sudden HBO wants HBO Max to have special treatment.  Why?  Because they want to control a greater share of the revenue.  HBO spent a fortune to obtain rights to South Park, Rick and Morty, Friends, etc.  Now they want to recoup that through a greater revenue share.  To me, that seems like HBO’s fault and bad business decision.  Why should Roku take less revenue to bail them out?

@XavaX wrote:

@CaptainLuke wrote:

LMAO, now who is being simplistic? You essentially call my argument reductionist then you make a reductionist argument?

First, thats what acceptable losses are you dingus. If the demand outweighs the amount of profit to be made, then they won't accept it and it will be the smart decision even if people like me move to another service. If the amount of customers lost to other services outweighs the cost of the terms, then you accept and find ways to supplement your income stream. Its not up to me to make Roku's business succeed. Clearly there is something in their profit structure that is preventing them from being competitive. If you arent competitive you lose customers, thems the breaks. If you are mad at how that works I suggest advocating for a different economic system, and I say that honestly. Capitalism sucks but thats how it works. I have to look out for my own bottom line and my own interests, not Roku's.

I’m not trying to start a flame war.  I’m just trying to say that it’s unfair to put the blame on Roku.  Essentially every other content provider is completely fine with how Roku does business.  Now all of a sudden HBO wants HBO Max to have special treatment.  Why?  Because they want to control a greater share of the revenue.  HBO spent a fortune to obtain rights to South Park, Rick and Morty, Friends, etc.  Now they want to recoup that through a greater revenue share.  To me, that seems like HBO’s fault and bad business decision.  Why should Roku take less revenue to bail them out?

That is wrong, they are trying to play the same game with Peacock. And the issue is going to become if they get away with this with peacock and HBO Max, which are huge players, then whats to say they won't do it to the every next great app coming out when its time to negotiate. Yeah no...I have android boxes now. Roku can either fix it or stuff it. They already lost my upgrade dollars on this cycle. They get zero ad revenues from me now because althouth I have roku's hooked up they aren't used any longer. 

0 Kudos
Level 12

Re: Roku: Come to an agreement with HBO Max or I am Leaving

Jump to solution

@demsd wrote:

@CaptainLuke wrote:

HBO max has some of the best content out of all the streaming channels.

Dream on. HBO gets a 74 for original content on the American Customer Satisfaction Index. Netflix, Apple, Disney+, Hulu and Amazon all rank higher. Content may be king, but it isn't HBO that is wearing that crown.

@demsd wrote:

@CaptainLuke wrote:

HBO max has some of the best content out of all the streaming channels.

Dream on. HBO gets a 74 for original content on the American Customer Satisfaction Index. Netflix, Apple, Disney+, Hulu and Amazon all rank higher. Content may be king, but it isn't HBO that is wearing that crown.

Let's start with most netflix original content is garbage. Hulu I use for the older network shows, Disney plus is great. Apple TV I refuse to use. HBO max however has GAME OF THRONES, TRUE BLOOD, The Sopranos, etc. 

0 Kudos
Level 8

Jump to solution

Not waiting anymore. Trying to decide between Apple TV 4k box, or waiting for Google's new sabrina Chromecast.

Main benefit with the Apple for me is the free year of Apple TV, but I use Android not Apple. Should I wait for the Google or grab the Apple while they have the free year offer?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@MohawkAdam wrote:

Not waiting anymore. Trying to decide between Apple TV 4k box, or waiting for Google's new sabrina Chromecast.

Main benefit with the Apple for me is the free year of Apple TV, but I use Android not Apple. Should I wait for the Google or grab the Apple while they have the free year offer?

I used to sell Apple products when I worked at a Best Buy. To me, the biggest advantage of an Apple TV device is the Airplay feature, which lets you mirror exactly what's happening on the screen of any other Apple device, be it an iPad, iPhone or Mac. This would make mirroring to your TV an option even if there isn't a working app for whatever service you want or if a content provider tries to do the same thing to Apple that they're now doing to Roku. The down side is that Apple TV is one of the pricier streaming devices on the market. 

I firmly believe that, eventually, Hulu will strike a deal with these content services. They're missing out on too large a customer base otherwise. But my short term solution has been digging up a 6 year old Chromecast device specifically for HBO Max and Peacock. It's a bit cumbersome because I have to use my iPad as a remote for things like pause, fast forward, rewind, etc., but it's an inexpensive bridge solution. 

If I didn't already have an old Chromecast and wanted to buy a new device, I'd be inclined to go with the $50 Tivo gizmo that, if memory serves, comes with a dedicated remote and, unlike the basic Chromecast, also supports 4K content. Right now, whether or not my supplemental streaming device supports 4K is really a non-issue since neither Peacock or HBO Max offer any 4K content, the Chromecast's lack of 4K support is a non-issue. I still have full access to 4K content from Vudu, Movies Anywhere, Netflix and Amazon Prime via my TCL Roku TV, which also does a decent job of automatically upscaling. But, if I were starting from scratch on a new supplemental streaming device, it's worth considering 

Jump to solution

Not having access to Max content wasn’t an issue for me until American Pickle and Raised by Wolves were released.  I’m picking up a Chromecast dongle today.  Maybe I’ll only swap it out when I want to watch Max content, until this pissing contest is over.  Maybe I’ll find I like it better, and my Roku Ultra will go into the box of obsolete electronics headed to the recycling center. What I know for sure is every minute I spend streaming on the Chromecast equals revenue that Roku will be giving away  

I dropped Dish satellite service after 15 years and switched to streaming when I got sick of the constant lock outs of programming I was paying for. I’ve upgraded my Roku devices twice in the past, and have never considered another streaming platform. Until now. Not a smart business move, Roku. 

0 Kudos