Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@CaptainLuke wrote:

LMAO, now who is being simplistic? You essentially call my argument reductionist then you make a reductionist argument?

First, thats what acceptable losses are you dingus. If the demand outweighs the amount of profit to be made, then they won't accept it and it will be the smart decision even if people like me move to another service. If the amount of customers lost to other services outweighs the cost of the terms, then you accept and find ways to supplement your income stream. Its not up to me to make Roku's business succeed. Clearly there is something in their profit structure that is preventing them from being competitive. If you arent competitive you lose customers, thems the breaks. If you are mad at how that works I suggest advocating for a different economic system, and I say that honestly. Capitalism sucks but thats how it works. I have to look out for my own bottom line and my own interests, not Roku's.


The problem with your argument is, you have no argument. Where is the proof that the demand for HBO Max [or Peacock TV] is there? I would think tens of millions of people demanding HBO Max would make the headlines, as much as if not more than the fact that it isn't on Roku or Amazon Fire TV.

HBO & NBCUniversal are finding out that what may have worked with the cable & satellite providers isn't working here because they are not the same means of delivering content. Furthermore, your argument fails because Epix, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, to name just a few. There is no dispute between any of those premium services and Roku or Amazon.

What I don't understand is, if some people are so unhappy, why haven't they moved on? Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Get the device you think will never have any disagreements with any streaming service in the future. Be a ping pong ball. Personally, I got tired of that in 2014 which is why I permanently cut the cord. I have Roku devices. I watch what is on those devices. If it isn't on Roku, then that is an indication that the streaming service doesn't want me to watch it's $hit. No loss here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Roku and HBO dispute blocking HBO Max

Jump to solution

@CaptainLuke wrote:

Ah yes, a "small amount" of content, like South Park (the only place you can stream it now that it left Hulu) or the entirety of the DC Universe content. Right... Practically the same thing! What was I thinking. Of course a handful of mega popular titles/content series is the same as having a handful of movies you can watch on most other platforms and the HBO original content.


Why are you all bootlicking for a company that doesnt care about you beyond taking your money? Do you have stock options or something?


That is proof that you have not been paying attention. You are more focused on what you want, and the fact that you are not getting what you want. So you pound your fists, and stomp your feet. [Does anyone else hear fire engines?]

Justice League, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Catwoman, Jonah Hex and The Losers all left the service July 1. It's DC section is bare bones now. If you want to see those titles, you'll need to have access to one of the streaming services that is on Roku.

Good news. I hear you can watch seasons 1-4 of Impractical Jokers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@DougG wrote:


Sorry i might have confused things by not being specific.  When i was saying Roku app, i was specifically meaning the Roku Channel App.   That is apparently one of the demands that HBOMAX be included on the Roku Channel App.  

 

There is no original netflix content on the Roku Channel app.   Just tried it.   No Witcher, No Stranger Things.


HBO is. As is Epix, Starz, Cinemax, Showtime, Shudder, Sundance Now and other premium services. The fact that HBO Max is not speaks volumes about HBO Max, not Roku. It's kind of hard to argue that it is Roku's fault when dozens of other services have an agreement. Fact is, it's ignorant to think it's Roku's fault.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@XavaX wrote:

I’m not trying to start a flame war.  I’m just trying to say that it’s unfair to put the blame on Roku.  Essentially every other content provider is completely fine with how Roku does business.  Now all of a sudden HBO wants HBO Max to have special treatment.  Why?  Because they want to control a greater share of the revenue.  HBO spent a fortune to obtain rights to South Park, Rick and Morty, Friends, etc.  Now they want to recoup that through a greater revenue share.  To me, that seems like HBO’s fault and bad business decision.  Why should Roku take less revenue to bail them out?


That's the thing that is so unfathomable to me. Other premium services, including HBO, don't have a problem. Just two. HBO Max and Peacock TV.

The issue, as far as I am concerned, is there are some people here who hate not getting what they want. Some of them elude to that fact in their comments. They are having a tantrum, and they can't understand why Roku hasn't bent over for them like it did when it removed the free content from the OTA Live TV guide because there were people who cr@ped themselves because it was there. There were people who literally complained that they could see it, and they didn't like it. That is some neurotic stuff right there. So, Roku removed it and the people who did want it in the guide now don't have it. I wasn't happy with that decision. I had something to say about, I said it and moved on. I didn't make idle threats and swear to never use the devices I already paid for the way the Roku Community Criers who whined about the OTA Live TV guide did, and are now whining about not having access to HBO Max and/or Peacock TV.

Check it. If people are that incensed that they are not getting what they want, or what they think they are entitled to, then they should move along. No one is forcing them to stay. Don't worry about Roku, or pretend that you are concerned for it's future. It has it's big boy pants on. It'll be just fine without the Roku Community Criers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@XavaX wrote:


Exactly this.  At the end of the day, HBO thinks it has the content to strong arm Roku into creating special terms.  Roku actually has the real hard numbers in terms of platform usage and controls the vast majority of the USA streaming market.

Who needs who more?

HBO Max posted dismal new-subscriber numbers.  Many of them are cable TV subscribers.  If you didn’t get HBO Max via your cable company, would you choose to pay $15 a month?  I wouldn’t.  HBO Max is only compelling because they managed exclusive rights to some shows.

It’s like CBS All Access.  I watch the new Star Trek shows there and then cancel it when I’m done. Signing up again only when a new season is completely released.  CBS has nothing else that I want.


I wouldn't pay for it. With Netflix, CBS All Access, the free content available and what is on my Plex HTPC, I have access to more than I can watch. Half the time I feel overwhelmed with what I do have. I have PlayOn and recorded every season of shows like The Flash and The Goldbergs, some of which I still haven't watced lasts seasons episodes. PlayOn, by the way, has access to Peacock TV and HBO Max. Anyone that has accounts with either can record and then stream those recordings via the PlayOn or Plex Roku apps.

******

Funny. I just received an email from HBO about their Limited time offer of HBO Max for $11.99/month for 12 months.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

 


@demsd wrote:

@drbruce2 wrote:

While there have been only perhaps a few dozen people complaining, I indeed will do the math. Have you seen anybody praising Roku for the exclusion of HBO Max? For that matter, does everybody who is dissatisfied with the lack of HBO Max have to express this on the community forum? Most are just grumbling to themselves.


Oh, I see. Since no one is saying how happy they are that HBO Max isn't on Roku, that is an indication that millions of people are unhappy. Nobody but the Roku Community Criers care about HBO Max and Peacock TV.


Speak for yourself. You don't speak for the silent and I don't either. I don't post hear often so your generalization already fails. I initially posted here because I am upset. I got an offer to sign up for a year at a discounted rate a month before launch. The deal was I paid for Reg HBO for the 1st month and get mad after launch. There s no mention of Roku not being aboard. In fact it wasn't till 2 weeks later, when I saw an article about Amazon not being on board was I made aware, because there ^a comment from Roku saying they weren't on board either. HBO misrepresented itself cuz I told them on Roku.

Unless you know why we are upset, you don't have the right to criticize us 

Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@CaptGrumpy wrote:

Speak for yourself. You don't speak for the silent and I don't either. I don't post hear often so your generalization already fails. I initially posted here because I am upset. I got an offer to sign up for a year at a discounted rate a month before launch. The deal was I paid for Reg HBO for the 1st month and get mad after launch. There s no mention of Roku not being aboard. In fact it wasn't till 2 weeks later, when I saw an article about Amazon not being on board was I made aware, because there ^a comment from Roku saying they weren't on board either. HBO misrepresented itself cuz I told them on Roku.

Unless you know why we are upset, you don't have the right to criticize us 


First and foremost, unlike the Roku Community Criers, I am one of the few people who does speak for himself. I don't presume to have my finger on the pulse of all Roku users. Others here do.

Secondly, the fact that the silent aren't speaking, speaks volumes. If they cared, they wouldn't be silent.

Lastly, I know why people are upset, because they have said why they are upset -- they wanted in one hand and the other filled up faster. Sucks to be a crier. I also have as much right to criticize as you do. Based upon what you said here, it seems your issue is with HBO Max, not Roku. Roku didn't take your money, HBO did. It was HBO Max [and Peacock TV] that failed to secure a deal with Roku & Amazon prior to their failed launch. They shouldn't have been taking everyone's money unless they were certain those people would be able to access the service via their chosen platform. Now they can't and that isn't Roku's fault. If it were me, I would be filing complaints with the BBB, and I'd go as far as to contact my states A ttorney General. HBO, and Peacock TV, took money from people knowing it couldn't provide service to nearly 70 million Roku and Amazon Fire TV users. Instead of taking responsibility for their actions, they blame Roku and tell the people who's money they have to blame them too, and the rubes who believed them are here, crying.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

They are disappointing all the way around as far as customer service goes. They are charging me for a subscription they say I don’t have end When you call their-# it says they are closed for Covid. 

I hope they get their **bleep** together soon 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Roku: Come to an agreement with HBO Max or I am Leaving

Jump to solution

Agreed. I am so over the bs. It was the cheapest way to go and so I did back when I was a broke college student. I’m wiser now and I don’t have time for these shenanigans. GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS ROKU! Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max 

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@demsd wrote:

@bknabe wrote:


Because, Christmas, as far as I can tell.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/10/21361780/hbo-max-amazon-fire-tv-warnermedia-jason-kilar-roku-disp...

There is an interview behind a paywall on Bloomberg, but here is a synopsis of it by the interviewer with a link to the full interview.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2020-08-10/warnermedia-boss-jason-kilar-is-very-happy-wit...


Question is, where are all the people he claims want it? It's ridiculous. There is no evidence tens of millions of people want HBO Max, let alone plan to spend additional money to buy new devices just to have access to it or Peacock TV.

WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar is not liking the fact that HBO is unable to strong-arm Amazon & Roku they way it has always strong-armed cable & satellite TV providers. He's having a Roku Community Crier sized tantrum.


I've said it many times. Jason Kilar thinks HBO Max is equal to Disney+, Hulu and Netflix. To counter just one of those beliefs, Disney+ had people drooling for MONTHS before it came out. HBO Max was so exciting that the majority of cable users who were given free access to it hadn't even tried it two months after launch according to this article on Tech Crunch:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/23/hbo-max-reached-4-1m-subscribers-in-first-month-despite-lack-of-di....

I didn't even know about HBO Max until I saw I was getting it free because of my ATT Internet - two days after it launched. I had to google it to see what it was. Obviously HBO Max is as important a player as Disney+.