Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookanne45
Level 7

Re: Roku, Amazon Fire TV/Stick, and HBO Max

Jump to solution

Once I discovered I could not switch over to HBO Max that’s exactly what I did. I couldn’t see paying the same money for HBO and not be able to get the upgrade. 

0 Kudos
Jmsherman8
Level 12

Jump to solution

@jte573019 wrote:

I am sick and tried of this **bleep** and people talking about workarounds to get HBO Max.  I am surprised I have not heard of this idea before now so, here is what I think.  The consumer has always been the driving force on what is being purchased.  If the consumer does not buy the product the manufacturer will figure a way to make it more attractive for the consumer to purchase.   In the case with HBO Max there are people out there paying for the now HBO app (formally HBO Now)  on Roku an Amazon Fire TV paying $15.99 a month and HBO will not upgrade because of their greed.  So, let’s hit HBO where it counts.  Everyone with the HBO app on Roku and Amazon Fire TV cancel their subscriptions.  If 200,000 people cancel at $15.99 a month HBO stands to lose $3,198,000.00 per month and that’s $38,376.000.00 a year.  If 500,000 people cancel their subscription, that’s $7,995,000.00 a  month and $95,940,000.00 a year.  It is time we as consumers stand up and make HBO do what they should have done day one of HBO MaxStart taking money out of their pockets.  I really have not found much on HBO to watch in the last 5 months so cancel I will.  I hope that many many more of you do also and lets take money out of their pockets.  Once I see the app on my Roku TV shows HBO Max I’ll be happy to renew my subscriptions.

That's the crux of the problem already though, HBOMAX already wrote the app, the problem is they don't want to pay ROKU as much per subscription as they want because that comes out of there end.

0 Kudos
Jmsherman8
Level 12

Jump to solution

@gkbuls wrote:

I am not cancelling my subscription with HBO Max...I'm dropping Roku.  Apple TV looks very good...and I'm interested in seeing what Google's Sabrina brings.

I personally don't want to be held captive by a device manufacturer.  I agree that Roku deserves to make a profit...they just better find a business model that works for me.

Yep Tivo Stream 4k and my Nvidia Shield boxes are smoking fast and doing just fine. I just quit using my ROKU's unless they figure this out quickly.

Jmsherman8
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Bear3825 wrote:

@gkbuls wrote:

I am not cancelling my subscription with HBO Max...I'm dropping Roku.  Apple TV looks very good...and I'm interested in seeing what Google's Sabrina brings.

I personally don't want to be held captive by a device manufacturer.  I agree that Roku deserves to make a profit...they just better find a business model that works for me.

I'm with you. The new Chromecast Ultra 2 with Android TV just passed FCC. Supposed to be out before end of summer. But even if it's later, I'm replacing all my Roku products with Google products. At least I know where I stand with Google. 

yep, I already started this process.

Jmsherman8
Level 12

Jump to solution

@bknabe wrote:

@gkbuls wrote:

I understand perfectly. Accepting poor deals from bullying megacorps until they are forced out of business is the model that works for you. Being held hostage by HBO (WarnerMedia) works for you. That's fine, it's your decision. But be well aware that you are creating a future where WarnerMedia and Comcast again control most of the access to entertainment online.

It is my understanding that Roku is owned by Netflix, and between Roku and Amazon they are holding hostage about 70 percent of the streaming audience, so I wouldn't use the "Megacorp" argument right now. And they are mixing it up with Peacock already as well.

0 Kudos
Jmsherman8
Level 12

Jump to solution

@debsmith5065 wrote:

@bknabe wrote:

@gkbuls wrote:

I understand perfectly. Accepting poor deals from bullying megacorps until they are forced out of business is the model that works for you. Being held hostage by HBO (WarnerMedia) works for you. That's fine, it's your decision. But be well aware that you are creating a future where WarnerMedia and Comcast again control most of the access to entertainment online.

Except that Roku evidently needs to find better negotiators because I've seen articles from relating to HBO Max and Peacock that Roku keeps changing their position

I hate to say this but I think roku needs to find an actual plan. LOL

0 Kudos
Jmsherman8
Level 12

Jump to solution

@gkbuls wrote:

@bknabe 

I believe you're looking at this from the wrong angle.  HBO (Warner) and Comcast are the ones that actually produce the entertainment.  THAT is what you are subscribing to.  You're NOT subscribing to the delivery (Roku), unless of course you want to...then you might as well sign up with cable and Satellite.  

Roku is a delivery system...that's it.  If they can't deliver any and all content that I'm interested in, I'll go somewhere else.  

Roku's strength has always been to be neutral when it comes to the content provider, that's what drew me to them.

@bknabe wrote:

@gkbuls wrote:

And this is exactly how I feel as well!

Jmsherman8
Level 12

Jump to solution

@drbruce2 wrote:

At this point, 3 months after debuting, HBO Max is still not available on Roku. I don't give a rat's' ass who did what, and who deserves whatever. It is a bad look for both parties especially when nobody is forthcoming about this kerfuffle. The only people who are suffering, if you can call it that, are the dopes like me who have Rokus attached to all of their TVs, and can't watch HBO Max. Neither side appears willing to compromise. Don't think the huge conglomerate that is DirecTv/AT&T/Warner Brothers/HBO will be much affected by this, but Roku will lose users, and future profits.

Bruce, I agree!

bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Jmsherman8 wrote:

@drbruce2 wrote:

At this point, 3 months after debuting, HBO Max is still not available on Roku. I don't give a rat's' ass who did what, and who deserves whatever. It is a bad look for both parties especially when nobody is forthcoming about this kerfuffle. The only people who are suffering, if you can call it that, are the dopes like me who have Rokus attached to all of their TVs, and can't watch HBO Max. Neither side appears willing to compromise. Don't think the huge conglomerate that is DirecTv/AT&T/Warner Brothers/HBO will be much affected by this, but Roku will lose users, and future profits.

Bruce, I agree!

Roku will lose users because people "don't give a rat's ass who did what, and who deserves whatever," and aren't willing to defer enjoyment. This may be a bad look for both parties, but if the wrong parties win (and I think most of you know who I think is the wrong party) we get one of the things people left cable to get away from as part of streaming - contract disputes. Instead of cancelling HBO and telling WarnerMedia that we won't play those games with our streaming services people are leaving Roku. That is exactly what HBO/WarnerMedia is counting on. If people leave Roku to get HBO Max, WarnerMedia has proven they can pull the same anti-consumer BS in streaming they did as a cable company and an ISP. The only people that will suffer (from now on) will be consumers and the streaming device makers as every year or so some contract dispute comes along, and because there are multiple streaming devices people just buy a different device.

Most people can't do that with their cable company. But WarnerMedia knows that they can with streaming devices and Mr Kyle (WarnerMedia CEO) has stated in interviews that he is counting on that forcing Roku and Amazon to "cave in" come "gift giving season" in order to avoid losing sales. If you leave Roku you may enjoy your HBO Max or Peacock in the short term, but you will be hurting yourself in the long term.

0 Kudos
bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@gkbuls 

I don't care who produces the content. What I care about is the consequences of this battle. If Roku and Amazon lose, the cable companies have gained a foothold in control of streaming and one of the things so many people here are saying they cut the cord to get away from will now be a permanent part of our streaming existence.

@gkbuls wrote:

@bknabe 

I believe you're looking at this from the wrong angle.  HBO (Warner) and Comcast are the ones that actually produce the entertainment.  THAT is what you are subscribing to.  You're NOT subscribing to the delivery (Roku), unless of course you want to...then you might as well sign up with cable and Satellite.  

Roku is a delivery system...that's it.  If they can't deliver any and all content that I'm interested in, I'll go somewhere else.  

Roku's strength has always been to be neutral when it comes to the content provider, that's what drew me to them.

@bknabe wrote:

@gkbuls wrote:

0 Kudos