Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Infensus
Level 9

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@Slimlittrell wrote:

Thank you!! It’s not about the $, I already paid for smart tv’s, pay for roku express boxes on only tv that isn’t (which is in my bedroom) we already pay $150 a month for spectrum internet & cable (which includes paying an extra $15 a month for HBO & Showtime) AND pay for Netflix,Hulu & Disney+, Apple family music plan, ALL that adds up!!!! I’m aggravated that I shouldn’t have to spend even more $ for something I’m ALREADY paying for every month! I love the show “Doom Patrol” on HBO Max but makes me VERY UNHAPPY that I can only watch it on my iPhone or iPad without having to pay for more stuff than I already do!!! Clearly my husband and I are blessed enough to pay for all of that above and more but again, it’s not about the $, it’s the PRINCIPLE of it!!!!

You are definitely paying for a lot of stuff, however a Tivo Stream 4K (or Roku Express) are not recurring expenses.  They are devices you buy once, install your apps, and then only pay subscriptions to the services you install.  You don't pay monthly to Roku or Tivo.  The only challenge may be that you need to cancel your subscriptions through Roku, and sign-up directly with the content provider (HBO Max directly).  This is only if you want to completely abandon Roku.

Adding the HBO Max app to Tivo Stream 4K is also not a new subscription, you just log in with your credentials and continue with your existing subscription.

You probably know all this stuff - clarifying in case not.

Unless there are continuous shows you are watching throughout the year on all of the apps, you should consider rotating your subscriptions.  I cancel Netflix between Ozark's and Stranger Things for instance.  No need to pay for months I am not using.  Same with Hulu, etc...

0 Kudos
jte573019
Level 7

Roku, Amazon Fire TV/Stick, and HBO Max

Jump to solution

I am sick and tried of this **bleep** and people talking about workarounds to get HBO Max.  I am surprised I have not heard of this idea before now so, here is what I think.  The consumer has always been the driving force on what is being purchased.  If the consumer does not buy the product the manufacturer will figure a way to make it more attractive for the consumer to purchase.   In the case with HBO Max there are people out there paying for the now HBO app (formally HBO Now)  on Roku an Amazon Fire TV paying $15.99 a month and HBO will not upgrade because of their greed.  So, let’s hit HBO where it counts.  Everyone with the HBO app on Roku and Amazon Fire TV cancel their subscriptions.  If 200,000 people cancel at $15.99 a month HBO stands to lose $3,198,000.00 per month and that’s $38,376.000.00 a year.  If 500,000 people cancel their subscription, that’s $7,995,000.00 a  month and $95,940,000.00 a year.  It is time we as consumers stand up and make HBO do what they should have done day one of HBO MaxStart taking money out of their pockets.  I really have not found much on HBO to watch in the last 5 months so cancel I will.  I hope that many many more of you do also and lets take money out of their pockets.  Once I see the app on my Roku TV shows HBO Max I’ll be happy to renew my subscriptions.

0 Kudos
gkbuls
Level 9

Re: Roku, Amazon Fire TV/Stick, and HBO Max

Jump to solution

I am not cancelling my subscription with HBO Max...I'm dropping Roku.  Apple TV looks very good...and I'm interested in seeing what Google's Sabrina brings.

I personally don't want to be held captive by a device manufacturer.  I agree that Roku deserves to make a profit...they just better find a business model that works for me.

gkbuls
Level 9

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Apple is expensive, but there is a point where its great to know your device can handle ANY service you desire to subscribe to.  This Roku issue is going to come up every time a content provider comes up with something new.  Roku will hold its customers hostage. 

0 Kudos
bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@jte573019 wrote:

I am sick and tried of this **bleep** and people talking about workarounds to get HBO Max.  I am surprised I have not heard of this idea before now so, here is what I think.  The consumer has always been the driving force on what is being purchased.  If the consumer does not buy the product the manufacturer will figure a way to make it more attractive for the consumer to purchase.   In the case with HBO Max there are people out there paying for the now HBO app (formally HBO Now)  on Roku an Amazon Fire TV paying $15.99 a month and HBO will not upgrade because of their greed.  So, let’s hit HBO where it counts.  Everyone with the HBO app on Roku and Amazon Fire TV cancel their subscriptions.  If 200,000 people cancel at $15.99 a month HBO stands to lose $3,198,000.00 per month and that’s $38,376.000.00 a year.  If 500,000 people cancel their subscription, that’s $7,995,000.00 a  month and $95,940,000.00 a year.  It is time we as consumers stand up and make HBO do what they should have done day one of HBO MaxStart taking money out of their pockets.  I really have not found much on HBO to watch in the last 5 months so cancel I will.  I hope that many many more of you do also and lets take money out of their pockets.  Once I see the app on my Roku TV shows HBO Max I’ll be happy to renew my subscriptions.

Make sure they know you're cancelling because they aren't on Roku.

0 Kudos
Bear3825
Level 9

Jump to solution

@gkbuls wrote:

I am not cancelling my subscription with HBO Max...I'm dropping Roku.  Apple TV looks very good...and I'm interested in seeing what Google's Sabrina brings.

I personally don't want to be held captive by a device manufacturer.  I agree that Roku deserves to make a profit...they just better find a business model that works for me.

I'm with you. The new Chromecast Ultra 2 with Android TV just passed FCC. Supposed to be out before end of summer. But even if it's later, I'm replacing all my Roku products with Google products. At least I know where I stand with Google. 

bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@gkbuls wrote:

I understand perfectly. Accepting poor deals from bullying megacorps until they are forced out of business is the model that works for you. Being held hostage by HBO (WarnerMedia) works for you. That's fine, it's your decision. But be well aware that you are creating a future where WarnerMedia and Comcast again control most of the access to entertainment online.

debsmith5065
Level 10

Jump to solution

@bknabe wrote:

@gkbuls wrote:

I understand perfectly. Accepting poor deals from bullying megacorps until they are forced out of business is the model that works for you. Being held hostage by HBO (WarnerMedia) works for you. That's fine, it's your decision. But be well aware that you are creating a future where WarnerMedia and Comcast again control most of the access to entertainment online.

Except that Roku evidently needs to find better negotiators because I've seen articles from relating to HBO Max and Peacock that Roku keeps changing their position

0 Kudos
gkbuls
Level 9

Jump to solution

@bknabe 

I believe you're looking at this from the wrong angle.  HBO (Warner) and Comcast are the ones that actually produce the entertainment.  THAT is what you are subscribing to.  You're NOT subscribing to the delivery (Roku), unless of course you want to...then you might as well sign up with cable and Satellite.  

Roku is a delivery system...that's it.  If they can't deliver any and all content that I'm interested in, I'll go somewhere else.  

Roku's strength has always been to be neutral when it comes to the content provider, that's what drew me to them.

@bknabe wrote:

@gkbuls wrote:

drbruce2
Level 11

Jump to solution

At this point, 3 months after debuting, HBO Max is still not available on Roku. I don't give a rat's' ass who did what, and who deserves whatever. It is a bad look for both parties especially when nobody is forthcoming about this kerfuffle. The only people who are suffering, if you can call it that, are the dopes like me who have Rokus attached to all of their TVs, and can't watch HBO Max. Neither side appears willing to compromise. Don't think the huge conglomerate that is DirecTv/AT&T/Warner Brothers/HBO will be much affected by this, but Roku will lose users, and future profits.