Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jmsherman8
Level 12

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@wehoalf100 wrote:

Yes get it done Roku. Please also stop your employees from pretending to be regular customers and blaming HBO Max and Peacock. We know it is Roku holding us hostage for more money. Not to worry folks, I now have a TiVo Stream 4k and it works perfectly. Plus Dolby HDR. Suck it Roku.  Oh and I cancelled all services I previously had paid through Roku. Free at Last. 

I have a nexus box upstairs, a nvidia shield tv downstairs and I just ordered a tivo stream 4k for our third tv. If it works I may decide to order two more.

0 Kudos
Jmsherman8
Level 12

Jump to solution

@vike wrote:

Seeing as I'd mentioned the TiVo Stream 4K a few times, I thought I'd write back here to report that I bought one for myself.  It turns out I like the Android TV (ATV) experience on my new smart TV better than what the clunky old FireStick in my den could provide, so instead of upgrading that I replaced it with the TS4K.  I didn't want a Roku for now because of the HBO MAX and Peacock issues, and once I figured out I could chromecast Xfinity to ATV, I figured that would be the best bet.

The TS4K is a vanilla ATV (inside the "mini Edge" case is a generic gadget from SEI Robotics) hacked with "no remove" installs of the TiVo Stream and SlingTV apps.  TiVo Stream is ignorable (not discussing here, try it or don't, it doesn't matter once you learn to hit the oddly-located O button for the main ATV menu instead of the pride-of-place shiny TiVo button that launches TiVo Stream), as is SlingTV.  Oh yeah, about that, let me make this clear . . .

Very important:  Contrary to some comments I've read here (perhaps there are later corrections that I missed), you do not have to sign up for a free SlingTV trial to activate the TS4K.  TiVo sure makes it look that way, by making the signup the "Step 3 of 3" screen of the activation, but by that point your TS4K is already activated.  Just ignore that last screen and close the browser/tab - you're done, and you don't have to give SlingTV any info just to cancel it later.

As for "a vanilla ATV", that's no bad thing.  They're still on the "introductory" $50 price that seems to keep being extended, and now you can even order them on Amazon (where I got mine).  I've had no problems with the unit so far, have set up everything I need to sideload Android apps, and have Peacock working just dandy.  Still in no rush for HBO MAX, at least for now.

Thank you for the tip about bypassing Sling TV Vike.

0 Kudos
Jmsherman8
Level 12

Jump to solution

@drbruce2 wrote:

Tick tock, tick tock . Starting to get angry.

Yep me too!

Bookanne45
Level 7

Re: Roku and HBO dispute blocking HBO Max

Jump to solution

You can also get it on Apple Tv

CLF72
Level 7

Jump to solution

What the **bleep** Roku. Where are HBOMax and Peacock? Are you trying to lose business? Are you trying to drive customers away? It’s already pathetic that your customer service is nonexistent, but now you are no longer a open platform. What else will you try to deny us? When will you get your collective head out of your ass and allow customers access? 

0 Kudos
Pitstop13
Level 7

Jump to solution

Like any other appliance or electronics company that sells their goods for $30.  I don’t have to pay for my blender every month. They want more money? Create content that people want to pay for, as of now Roku is nothing more than a delivery system, no different than a TV, CD player, etc. 

@Ycody wrote:

Roku doesn't pay for them. Those services pay to be on roku? How the **bleep** do you think roku makes money? On a dinky 30 dollar device lol. 

0 Kudos
jami61
Level 8

Jump to solution

Anyone want to buy 2 roku TVs? I am so angry that i was stupid enough to think buying a roku tv a couple years ago was “smart”.

I seriously am considering getting rid of these TVs and cancelling everything i do with roku and walk away forever.

bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Pitstop13 wrote:

Like any other appliance or electronics company that sells their goods for $30.  I don’t have to pay for my blender every month. They want more money? Create content that people want to pay for, as of now Roku is nothing more than a delivery system, no different than a TV, CD player, etc. 

@Ycody wrote:

Roku doesn't pay for them. Those services pay to be on roku? How the **bleep** do you think roku makes money? On a dinky 30 dollar device lol. 

You don't pay for your Roku every month either. So what's your beef?

0 Kudos
TammiOn10
Level 7

Jump to solution

I dont understand the anger with Roku. After all Roku did have HBO Go until an agreement couldn't be reached. Since HBO was originally with Roku, clearly HBO wants to renegotiate which is there prerogative, but to be clear HBO LEFT ROKU knowing their customers use Roku to access their programing. Roku passes the cost on to the network so that you and I don't have to pay. I'm not mad at Roku, HBO is the issue.

debsmith5065
Level 10

Jump to solution

@TammiOn10 wrote:

I dont understand the anger with Roku. After all Roku did have HBO Go until an agreement couldn't be reached. Since HBO was originally with Roku, clearly HBO wants to renegotiate which is there prerogative, but to be clear HBO LEFT ROKU knowing their customers use Roku to access their programing. Roku passes the cost on to the network so that you and I don't have to pay. I'm not mad at Roku, HBO is the issue.

While your theory is valid, it's still a huge problem for Roku because if their customers can't get the programming they want on their device, they will go elsewhere to get it and purchase other manufacturer's devices.  I personally don't think Roku is blameless in this either.  They obviously want a bigger share of the pie than ATT/Warner wants to give and as long as the content is available via another device, Roku doesn't really have a leg to stand on.

0 Kudos