Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@Poundsand wrote:

@bknabe wrote:

@Poundsand wrote:

Hbomax doesn't have ads, so tell me again why you think this shouldn't apply based on what's in that link, and why you think it's being blocked?

It's not being blocked. You can say that all you want, but it's not true. The core issue is user data, whatever else may be talked about. HBO and Roku disagree over whether or not user data should be part of the agreement. It's that simple. 

HBO has stated they have an app ready to go. Roku is apparently not allowing it to be published. Do you think that's not true?

Not to mention that HBO/Warner has announced there will be an ad-supported version coming out in the next few months that will cost less than the ad-free version.  I'm guessing this negotiation is a little more complex because they want to get both deals hammered out at once.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

A cheaper ad-supported version of HBO Max is supposed to be released in 2021 so, an ad revenue sharing agreement needs to be worked out for that and is a part of these negotiations. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am now looking for an alternative to Roku, I'm so angry that I paid for this device and I am being blocked from watching HBO Max. This is just like the cable garbage I purchased Roku to get away from, Dish Network and Direct Tv used to block certain channels and tell subscribers to contact that channel and tell them to pay more money to them......

Looks like Apple doesn't block content and I already have Apple products so maybe I'll switch to an Apple TV and cancel all of my Roku subscriptions. Roku has taken a long term customer who purchased several devices, recommended them and turned me into someone who will recommend the competition and get rid of my Roku. I'm offended that Roku thinks they have the right to dictate what I can and can't watch on a device I paid close to $100.00 for.

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Poundsand wrote:

@bknabe wrote:

@Poundsand wrote:

Hbomax doesn't have ads, so tell me again why you think this shouldn't apply based on what's in that link, and why you think it's being blocked?

It's not being blocked. You can say that all you want, but it's not true. The core issue is user data, whatever else may be talked about. HBO and Roku disagree over whether or not user data should be part of the agreement. It's that simple. 

HBO has stated they have an app ready to go. Roku is apparently not allowing it to be published. Do you think that's not true?

It's not. HBO is not allowing Roku to publish the app because HBO will not accept the deal Roku is offering. Now that the potato/potahto is out of the way, both are at fault. The question customers have to answer is which side they are willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Looking at the history of the players, Roku seems far more trustworthy to me. Perhaps only because they don't have the decades of history screwing consumers. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I agree they need to get this figured out quick or I’ll be looking for an alternative streaming device. I’ve been a user of Roku for a decade now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your posts.

Please be aware that HBO Max is currently not available on the Roku platform.

For more information visit www.hbomax.com and subscribe to the latest channel updates at http://blog.roku.com. To access HBO, go to HBO on The Roku Channel or visit the Roku Channel Store to download HBO NOW.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I wanted to find the opposite of a Kudo on this message board... I feel that that is what this "solution" deserves.

Thank You,

Mike

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your posts.

Please be aware that HBO Max is currently not available on the Roku platform.

For more information visit www.hbomax.com and subscribe to the latest channel updates at http://blog.roku.com. To access HBO, go to HBO on The Roku Channel or visit the Roku Channel Store to download HBO NOW.

Thanks,
Danny

You do realize that your solution is restating the problem?

Calling this a solution actually vindicates all the people who have been complaining about Roku's failure to inform the customers what is going on, or at least acknowledge our pain. And kind of makes those of us who have been even slightly defending you look like dupes or shills. Good job, you alienate your detractors and defenders in a single post.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Why do they keep posting, HBO NOW as a solution? HBO NOW is comparable to HBO GO, but not even in the same league as HBO MAX. Roku is treating us like idiots. I have been a loyal customer for at least a decade, I've converted countless friends and family members to roku, & we consistanly give them as gifts. This is so dissapointing, even more so than since the roku3 I can't get a box to last more than a year!

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Friendly reminder that Amazon Fire Stick has a sideload option that allows you to watch HBO Max. Been enjoying it more than my Roku. Ironically, they lost me as a customer now that I got the 4k version of the Amazon Stick. Yes, they don't have the official either, but at least they have the option to sideload Android apps.