Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Infensus
Level 9

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@beth2 wrote:

so this is from the HBO Now website... is this information incorrect? If I switch from HBO Go to HBO Now will I be able to stream HBO?

Also, weirdly, NOTHING about this on the ATT forums - like they have nothing to do with the problem (even thought they own HBO). I just got on the chat and whined enough to get a $30 credit while they are "still working out a deal". If others, who get HBO Go or Now as a free perk of their phone service with ATT start complaining to ATT it might help put a little pressure on them to cut a deal...?

At this point ATT will give me 2 months credit but won't switch me to HBO Now (and I'm not really sure it would have worked, anyway, since the HBO Now app is gone from Roku)

Beginning July 31, 2020, the HBO NOW app and HBONOW.com will be rebranded to HBO. Existing HBO NOW subscribers will have access to HBO through the rebranded HBO app on devices where HBO NOW was available and through play.hbo.com.

Your HBO NOW app was updated to the HBO Max app on devices supported by HBO Max. To learn more, see What happened to my HBO NOW app?

You can stream HBO NOW on the following devices.

Roku

3rd generation and later (released in 2013 and later)

• Roku LT (model 2700)
  • Roku 1 SE (2710)
  • Roku 2 (model 2720, 4210)
  • Roku 3 (model 4200, 4230)
  • Roku 4 (model 4400)
  • Roku Express (model 3700, 3710, 3900, 3910, 3930R, 3931RW)
  • Roku Premiere (model 4620, 4630, 3920R, 3921RW, 3920R)
  • Roku Ultra (model 4640, 4660, 4661R, 4662RW, 4670R)
  • Roku Streaming Stick (3600, 3800, 3810, 3810R)
  • Roku TV and Roku Streaming Stick (all models)

So, this part you may already know:

HBO Go was for people who subscribe to HBO through their cable service.

HBO Now WAS for people who signed up directly with HBO.  This is now called HBO Max.

So - what HBO is doing is forcing people who want the full backlog of HBO content to directly sign-up with HBO, so then HBO can data mine and control user's information.

A sticking point of the fight between HBO and Amazon/Roku is that Amazon wanted to the subscriber data, as well as Roku.  They sell that back to HBO and other services (we get no say).  HBO is taking that back from the platforms.

If you subscribe directly to HBO Max, you will have the new HBO app (or HBO Now renamed as HBO) to use if supported on Roku, and HBO Max on every other platform (you can side-load this on Amazon devices).

Today I can use HBO Now on Roku since I signed up directly with HBO Max.

HBO Now channel: https://channelstore.roku.com/details/61322/hbo-now

Poundsand
Level 10

Jump to solution

@bknabe wrote:

@Poundsand wrote:

Hbomax doesn't have ads, so tell me again why you think this shouldn't apply based on what's in that link, and why you think it's being blocked?

It's not being blocked. You can say that all you want, but it's not true. The core issue is user data, whatever else may be talked about. HBO and Roku disagree over whether or not user data should be part of the agreement. It's that simple. 

HBO has stated they have an app ready to go. Roku is apparently not allowing it to be published. Do you think that's not true?

0 Kudos
debsmith5065
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Poundsand wrote:

@bknabe wrote:

@Poundsand wrote:

Hbomax doesn't have ads, so tell me again why you think this shouldn't apply based on what's in that link, and why you think it's being blocked?

It's not being blocked. You can say that all you want, but it's not true. The core issue is user data, whatever else may be talked about. HBO and Roku disagree over whether or not user data should be part of the agreement. It's that simple. 

HBO has stated they have an app ready to go. Roku is apparently not allowing it to be published. Do you think that's not true?

Not to mention that HBO/Warner has announced there will be an ad-supported version coming out in the next few months that will cost less than the ad-free version.  I'm guessing this negotiation is a little more complex because they want to get both deals hammered out at once.

0 Kudos
MoviesProbably
Level 10

Jump to solution

A cheaper ad-supported version of HBO Max is supposed to be released in 2021 so, an ad revenue sharing agreement needs to be worked out for that and is a part of these negotiations. 

0 Kudos
JanetP
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am now looking for an alternative to Roku, I'm so angry that I paid for this device and I am being blocked from watching HBO Max. This is just like the cable garbage I purchased Roku to get away from, Dish Network and Direct Tv used to block certain channels and tell subscribers to contact that channel and tell them to pay more money to them......

Looks like Apple doesn't block content and I already have Apple products so maybe I'll switch to an Apple TV and cancel all of my Roku subscriptions. Roku has taken a long term customer who purchased several devices, recommended them and turned me into someone who will recommend the competition and get rid of my Roku. I'm offended that Roku thinks they have the right to dictate what I can and can't watch on a device I paid close to $100.00 for.

bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Poundsand wrote:

@bknabe wrote:

@Poundsand wrote:

It's not. HBO is not allowing Roku to publish the app because HBO will not accept the deal Roku is offering. Now that the potato/potahto is out of the way, both are at fault. The question customers have to answer is which side they are willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Looking at the history of the players, Roku seems far more trustworthy to me. Perhaps only because they don't have the decades of history screwing consumers. 

pbordner
Level 7

Jump to solution

I agree they need to get this figured out quick or I’ll be looking for an alternative streaming device. I’ve been a user of Roku for a decade now.

RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your posts.

Please be aware that HBO Max is currently not available on the Roku platform.

For more information visit www.hbomax.com and subscribe to the latest channel updates at http://blog.roku.com. To access HBO, go to HBO on The Roku Channel or visit the Roku Channel Store to download HBO NOW.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
Tiburon79
Level 8

Jump to solution

I wanted to find the opposite of a Kudo on this message board... I feel that that is what this "solution" deserves.

Thank You,

Mike

Tags (1)
bknabe
Level 12

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your posts.

Please be aware that HBO Max is currently not available on the Roku platform.

For more information visit www.hbomax.com and subscribe to the latest channel updates at http://blog.roku.com. To access HBO, go to HBO on The Roku Channel or visit the Roku Channel Store to download HBO NOW.

Thanks,
Danny

You do realize that your solution is restating the problem?

Calling this a solution actually vindicates all the people who have been complaining about Roku's failure to inform the customers what is going on, or at least acknowledge our pain. And kind of makes those of us who have been even slightly defending you look like dupes or shills. Good job, you alienate your detractors and defenders in a single post.