Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OliverQueenJr
Level 8

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Lol I’m a “company Shill”? Wow so I voice opinion different from yours and I must be an employee of the one you hate? Okay that logic isn’t really sound but I’ll play along. Check your facts Peacock isn’t free. Little in this world is free. True you may not have to provide them with your hard earned money (yet) but you’re never going to be given access to a catalog of film and television like the one peacock is offering you for free indefinitely. If you actually read your terms of service and their privacy policy you’ll see where they make their money. You do get that peacock is essentially Comcast aka NBC Universal’s venture into the world of streaming content right? Which is why they can “give away” so much without a monthly subscription. However they’re making their money by giving you ads much like Hulu once did. I had Hulu way back when when it launched and so long as I didn’t mind commercials I could stream their content for free too. Peacock has a charge of $9.99 if you don’t want commercials. All peacock really is, is a larger catalog version  of Comcast ondemand. They too aired commercials during the network tv shows when watched ondemand. Oh and FYI before you sing the praises of Comcast since you must work for them based on your logic let me say i once worked for Comcast (great job, amazing benefits & great perks) and I can tell you the way they’re making money by giving peacock to their customers for free is by removing channels from their digital packages that they don’t own and had to negotiate a fee with the owner a percentage or flat rate Comcast will pay them so as to offer it to their customers (much like roku does) and replacing them with channels they own like The aforementioned peacock giving the appearance they’re doing something to benefit their customers while in fact they’re now just pocketing the money they were previously paying say Starz or Cinemax to include them in their channel packages. Also creating more opportunities for revenue because the customers who once had those channels will now be expected to buy them À la carte for more money than they would’ve when they were paired with HBO, showtime etc. if they want to continue watching them.

Roku asking for a deal that is mutually beneficial to stream those channels is how business works and it’s far from Roku being nefarious. They want their cut so they may continue to exist in this world. Will you subsidize the money lost so they aren’t required to lay off any employees? Should they set a precedent and get less just to keep you happy? If they do will you at least keep the deal to yourself so that other content providers don’t mirror the previously successful tactic of getting a one sided deal by stirring up the users so they’ll be outraged and boycott in an attempt to force roku to again keep the mob happy. If you can’t see the bigger picture that’s okay lines are hard to read between especially when ruled by outrage and a feeling of personal slight when things don’t work out the way you desire. Cable companies hate streaming services that cut into their profit and considering they once had a near monopoly and now thanks to cord cutters they’ve lost a huge chunk of the pie and stand to lose even more they’re developing even more inventive ways to regain their dominance. You know like merging with the content creators & turning their cable boxes into portals that streaming services can be streamed through while denying a fair deal to other portals such as Roku making it so snowflakes are outraged at Roku for not giving them what they want when to do so would mean roku taking an insulting amount of money to just to keep from being canceled by people who defy logic and make choices based less on facts and more on feelings. This is why the DOJ shouldn’t have allow one  multi billion dollar business to “buy” another multi billion dollar business. Consumers are tricked into thinking the companies are their friend when all they care about is their bottom line and that you can continue to pay your bill. Amazon, Apple, Comcast, Warner/AT&T these companies do not care about your feelings just those of their stockholders. But you know all this being an employee right?

Yes I did just join the forum but only because I wanted to voice a truth that was going unsaid by those who allow emotion to cloud their ability to use deductive reasoning.

ps if you’re picking up any heavy sarcasm or hostility then Allow me to half heartedly apologize I’m not a big fan of hypocrisy. Like being called a shill because I support roku’s decision to not carry HBOMax (Despite the fact that I actually have HBOMax & due to that decision I must watch it on my computer rather than my TV) then mere sentences later you then promote another service coming across that you may in fact be the one who’s the plant. For all I know you work for HBOMax and part of your job is stirring up conflict within the roku online message boards. Don’t get me wrong I don’t think that is going on, I just think you allowed you’re outrage & today’s current trend embraced by so many to cancel those they feel haven’t lived up to the expectations that others placed on them, ultimately allowing these two factors to influence how you handle a dissenting opinion. You feeling betrayed or slighted by roku doesn’t mean they’ve actually done that & to be fair it also doesn’t mean they haven’t it just means that’s how you perceive the choices being made by roku. Remember feelings aren’t facts and roku has a lot of people besides you to consider when making these kinds of decisions. It’s not personal it’s business.

HBO is the one who stopped their HBOGo app from working for customers who got their service   Through roku. HBO is the one who allowed Roku the ability to collect the payment keeping a percentage while the majority still went to HBO. HBO still chose to end those apps when they didn’t have to. They just want to back track on the deal they previously made with roku even though it hurts their customers just so they can keep that 15% to 30% that Roku got for signing customers up and collecting payment. Yet Roku is the one who hasn’t lived up to their end of the bargain?

OliverQueenJr
Level 8

Jump to solution

You are right. I didn’t read the entire thread I tried but after about 10 pages of people commiserating in their perceived slight I had the gist or so I thought. Now allow me to address the outrage over roku’s mission of being a device that was neutral for all app developers “Period full stop“.
Have you or really any of the people outraged over this egregious business model change actually made an app that Roku has prevented you from using it on their service? Or have you created an app that acts as a third party Handler connecting users to HBOMax that Roku has prevented you from using on their device? If so then you have an argument however if your basing your anger solely on Roku not allowing slots companies that want something for nothing because you don’t like a free market or businesses growing and changing it doesn’t matter what anyone says because it’s not an intellectual answer you’re looking for it’s for someone to agree with you that it sucks that a business has changed and is doing what it must to survive in a rapidly growing medium. A task not easy to do when some of their customers get angry over choices made by big corporations such as att and time Warner that crippled the means in which you watch their content. Business have a right to grow and make changes so they may stay relevant and survive in an ever growing market. How many businesses do you know that don’t change Whatsoever over the years & have remained relevant? Change sucks. Agreed. But what sucks more is becoming extinct when you could’ve avoided it.

OliverQueenJr
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Anonymous wrote:

Ever wonder what it looks like when a company starts getting nervous and instructs their employees to spread misinformation and just plain nonsense about their product and competitors on their message board? This is it folks, enjoy.

You know I’ve actually never given it much thought perhaps because I’m not someone who feels like the world is out to get me nor do I believe my opinions and views are so important that a multi billion dollar industries actually give 2 {expletive} what I think about them. Since you asked please tell me what does it look like? While you’re at it could you also let me know what it looks like when someone holds their own opinion and views in such esteem that they can’t fathom that their opinions &/or outrage isn’t shared by everyone so they convince themselves that anyone who disagrees must in fact be the one who they’re complaining about?

Thanks much.

P.S. Never mind I answered my own question simply by proof reading my reply.  

0 Kudos
boogernose
Level 18

Re: HBO MAX Frustration!

Jump to solution

Did you need a suggestion of where to put your old Roku?

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
Infensus
Level 9

Jump to solution

It's sad how many people here are getting angry over this topic.  Get yourself a Chromecast for $29, Tivo Stream for $50, or an old Apple TV or other type of Android TV box.

Use this device WITH your Roku for better app coverage.  The apps themselves look and feel the same as on Roku.

I was able to download Peacock day 1 on my Tivo Stream 4K, and just received an email from Google for 90 days free premium.

The point is, why stress and be a fan of any platform?  There is no unique compelling offer from any of these services to warrant such devotion. 

Spend a little bit of money if you can and be happy for the summer.  Your time is worth more than $50.

drbruce2
Level 11

Jump to solution

Thank you. I am so sick and tired of all of these whiny messages from people who have nothing better to do. I want to unsubscribe, but there is only the choice of subscribing, not unsubscribing so I have to rid myself of all of these e-mails several times daily.

0 Kudos
fagmango
Level 8

Jump to solution

Exactly what I said. The devices aren't that expensive. Apple TV and Samsung have no problems. Same for Chromecast.

I stayed with Roku since they came out so it's time to upgrade and move to another platform. 

It was a nice run but, I saw the writing on the wall when Roku added the Roku channel and started providing content that competed with their own apps. They dug a hole that they are stuck in. 

Infensus
Level 9

Jump to solution

@drbruce2 wrote:

Thank you. I am so sick and tired of all of these whiny messages from people who have nothing better to do. I want to unsubscribe, but there is only the choice of subscribing, not unsubscribing so I have to rid myself of all of these e-mails several times daily.

You can unsubscribe by highlighting the hamburger (3 dots) on a web browser, once viewing a thread, and the option should come up.  I unsubscribed a long time ago and just peek at the convo once every few days.

JMM1
Level 10

Jump to solution

I hope Roku makes the best possible deal they can. 

We don't want Amazon and Apple ruling the world with the only streaming devices. Competition is good.

Film
Level 7

Jump to solution

I purchased Roku because it presented itself as the premier and comprehensive method for streaming.  I know wish I have investigated more options.  Not bringing HBOMAX into the Roku streaming options leaves me very disappointed.  

If I am asked for a recommendation I do not think I would suggest Roku as a good choice.

I hope Roku will soon resolve this failure to provide good customer service.