Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fagmango
Level 8

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

I feel Roku and Amazon Fire are overplaying their hand. Streaming devices are pretty cheap. My primary reason I decided in Roku was the fact they were neutral. You could count on them to have easy access to all content. Roku's position is no longer neutral, neither is Amazon but, that was never an Amazon selling point. It simply comes down to failing the one aspect of the Roku company that made them unique and trusted: neutrality. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

@debsmith5065 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Please read the thread before commenting. This has been covered over and over. Support for HBO Go goes away at the end of the month. A lot of us use HBO Go, which means no more HBO come Aug 1st. There is NO workaround for this issue, therefore a lot of us, myself included will be purchasing new equipment from another vendor.

I really wonder if some of the folks in here that keep repeating the same thing that we've covered or argued against are Roku/google employees. If you are employees, tell Tom hello for me when Roku hits bottom after their users abandon them.

I believe, even though HBO Go is being archived, that you should still be able to access HBO Now through your cable provider - I get my HBO via my cable subscription and can access the HBO Now app

And this has been discussed over and over and over in this thread as well. A lot of us are AT&T customers and have a free HBO Go/Max account that we will not be able to use come August 1st. So once again this is why a lot of us are purchasing new equipment from another vendor and telling Roku to so long.

Again for the last time, there is no work around. A lot of us lose access to HBO come August 1st, again there is no work around.

Jmsherman8
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you.

To the people pointing out that Roku is actually a company whose revenue is generated by advertising and not hardware, Roku has no one else but themselves to blame if that ends up being their undoing. Businesses used to have ethics and people knew what they were getting when they purchased a product, but that went out the window during this last tech bubble, because break things and apologize later. 

That was an unethical approach to take, because misrepresentation is not ok. You, Roku, presented yourself as a hardware company and gained the trust of the public because you make/develop great hardware and told us you were there to provide a platform for all app developers, but now you are claiming you are actually an ad company, so when you fail it's on you, because there are plenty of other options out there as you can see in this thread.

To those of you that insist on holding out, best of luck and remember HBO Max is the Warner Catalog and Peacock is the Universal catalog and they are 2 of the biggest and most loved studios in Hollywood. Roku you have bitten off way more than you can chew and if google buys you, they will figure out a way to drive you further into the ground, not to mention they could care less about a users privacy since google's main source of revenue is ads and selling people's information. How do I know this you ask, I worked for a company that was purchased by google and saw them destroy 2 incredible companies first hand. 

Well said!

y2jman
Level 9

Jump to solution

i'm trying my hardest to wait do you guys think before they kill off hbo go on 31st that they will have hbo max on roku by any chance?

I'm on at and t direct tv can watch this free  but my only options are smart view/cast my Samsung phone to roku after download app on phone or watch on computer

I got money left and trying to figure out options to either get a mi box 4k or an apple 4k tv

don't think I want a Jetstream 4k or a TiVo 4k  I could get a Chromecast ulta but I like to used remote control's still old school I really don't want to get a firestick 4k just to sideload hbo max

what are you thoughts if I have to get different devices and I just got rock streaming stick plus last year in june due to wwe network wasn't no longer on sony bluray players

on a side note is the apple tv remote control really that had to navigate since its a touchpad?

0 Kudos
DougG
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Lonestarjacket wrote:

I am a little perplexed at all the animosity aimed at Roku.  This is no different than the standoffs between providers and channels on cable, both want to paint the other side as the bad guy but eventually they realize it is hurting both. This WILL be resolved eventually and there is nothing on HBO Max not available elsewhere on Roku as along as HBO content is on HBO Now or HBO Go.

Part of the animosity is because people now feel that Roku has betrayed its original selling point.   Roku sold itself as an open hardware system where anyone can make an app and have it working on the Roku system.  This is no longer the case.  

Roku helped push the narrative that people should cut the cord and get rid of the evil cable service providers.     They have now become that which the rebelled against.   

That is the animosity.  They have betrayed their core belief, or at least what was their core belief.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

My strong opinion is this, on August 1st people like you and me will not only be without HBO, but we will also not have access to Peacock.

I am in the same position as you, I have some money that I'm reluctantly willing to part with, because, and again this is my very strong opinion, come 1st or 2nd weekend of August every available streamer except Roku and possibly Amazon will be sold out, because people want the content that HBO and Peacock provide and Peacock is not 100% behind a paywall, so it's a very attractive service, especially now.

I myself will be purchasing an Apple TV non 4k tonight. I am going Apple, because I see things moving online in a hurry and I trust Apple with my info more than google, but ymmv, everyone has their feelings on that matter. Best of luck and be well.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Just bit the bullet and made my purchase. I would have liked to have purchased directly from Apple, but their stores in my area are closed. My second choice was Best Buy and for the past couple of weeks Apple TV was available for same day pickup in my area, but as of right now, I'd have to wait a few days before I could get one from them. That left me with Target, so hopefully by tomorrow afternoon I will be up and running and watching Monterey Pop on HBO Max.

After my new device is set up, I will wipe the Roku, and cancel my account, because I do not want to be a pawn in their numbers game. If I keep my account, they can use my idle account as a user to try and leverage whatever it is they are trying to leverage. Best of luck and be well.

See ya Roku, say hello Tom for me when the bottom falls out.

0 Kudos
Beeseepee
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yes, you can subscribe via Hulu. But, until Roku has a dedicated app FOR HBOMAX, you won't be getting all of the programs offered. You will ONLY be getting HBO.

0 Kudos
Cjnoble
Level 7

HBO max?

Jump to solution

Will roku be getting the HBO max app 

0 Kudos
OliverQueenJr
Level 8

Jump to solution

It’s unfortunate that people don’t actually look into why Roku currently doesn’t have HBOMax. Maybe they would realize that it’s it has to do not only with the streaming services getting their cut of the profit which they are due being the one who actually has the means to get the service to the customers but also they are trying to make sure the people who have subscriptions to hbo aren’t being screwed out of the exclusive content they’re paying for that is now no as exclusive but denied the content created for HBOMax without getting a new subscription. Many Comcast customers are getting HBOMax for free due to agreement they made with HBOMax a deal that HBOMax may have been willing to make for Amazon & Roku but considering that between the 2 having 70% of the streaming business it wouldn’t surprise me if the deal offered (if any) was less than fair.

Just read what each has said and it’s clear it’s not as simple as Roku and Amazon being greedy no more than AT&T anyway. 

AT&T CEO John Stankey said: "We must be doing something right if somebody believes we are now starting to be more in conflict with their business, so I don't necessarily take that as a bad sign."

He added that he thought it was "ironic" that a concern involving the AT&T and Time Warner merger — which closed in 2018 for $84.5 billion after the Justice Department tried blocking the deal — was about "withholding content from traditional distributors."

"AT&T is choosing to deny these loyal HBO customers access to the expanded catalog," Amazon said. "We believe that if you're paying for HBO, you're entitled to the new programming through the method you're already using. That's just good customer service and that's a priority for us."

In a statement to Variety, Roku said: ""We are focused on mutually positive distribution agreements with all new OTT services that will deliver a quality user experience to viewers in the more than 40 million households that choose Roku to access their favorite programs and discover new content. While not on our platform today, we look forward to helping HBO Max in the future successfully scale their streaming business."

Roku wont fold without HBOMax. The real question is can HBOMax make it without Roku and Amazon?