Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
j_m_
Level 11

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@mmckaibab wrote:

As opposed to the wonderful folks at AT&T/HBO who are just begging us to take their content for . . . um . . . more than anyone else is charging? Yeah, they're both big companies trying to maximize profits. But, IMO, I look at AT&T/HBO wanting $15/mo when everyone else is around $9-11/mo, and everyone else (except Peacock, um, who cares?) has agreements with Roku. All that makes me more suspicious of AT&T/HBO than of Roku.

Post after post, you are ridiculous in your defense of Roku on this issue. Netflix is $13/mo plus tax minimum for HD streams and $16/mo plus tax for the better tier that includes 4k etc. HBO Max already has comparable content (IMO better depending on your interests), despite the setbacks that the pandemic had caused to its original content. Also, bear in mind that, in the USA at least, AT&T includes HBO Max for no extra cost with certain wireless/cell phone plans and also provides access to HBO subscribers on some cable operators. This ends up being a significant number of people who can get HBO Max at no extra charge (many of them may not realize they have this benefit). For example, I'm on an AT&T cell phone plan where HBO Max is included for no cost, and the price of my plan is actually lower than the old grandfathered unlimited data plan that I had.

The pricing for HBO Max for those who actually have to pay for it is reasonable. What Roku is likely doing to extort either money, subscriber data, or Roku Channel integration out of HBO is not. Period. I have access to HBO Max through my Fire Stick 4k (via sideloading) and TiVo Stream 4k. I will likely be replacing my 5 Rokus with one of those (or another Android TV-based solution) in the future. 

debsmith5065
Level 10

Jump to solution

@j_m_ wrote:

@mmckaibab wrote:

As opposed to the wonderful folks at AT&T/HBO who are just begging us to take their content for . . . um . . . more than anyone else is charging? Yeah, they're both big companies trying to maximize profits. But, IMO, I look at AT&T/HBO wanting $15/mo when everyone else is around $9-11/mo, and everyone else (except Peacock, um, who cares?) has agreements with Roku. All that makes me more suspicious of AT&T/HBO than of Roku.

Post after post, you are ridiculous in your defense of Roku on this issue. Netflix is $13/mo plus tax minimum for HD streams and $16/mo plus tax for the better tier that includes 4k etc. HBO Max already has comparable content (IMO better depending on your interests), despite the setbacks that the pandemic had caused to its original content. Also, bear in mind that, in the USA at least, AT&T includes HBO Max for no extra cost with certain wireless/cell phone plans and also provides access to HBO subscribers on some cable operators. This ends up being a significant number of people who can get HBO Max at no extra charge (many of them may not realize they have this benefit). For example, I'm on an AT&T cell phone plan where HBO Max is included for no cost, and the price of my plan is actually lower than the old grandfathered unlimited data plan that I had.

The pricing for HBO Max for those who actually have to pay for it is reasonable. What Roku is likely doing to extort either money, subscriber data, or Roku Channel integration out of HBO is not. Period. I have access to HBO Max through my Fire Stick 4k (via sideloading) and TiVo Stream 4k. I will likely be replacing my 5 Rokus with one of those (or another Android TV-based solution) in the future. 

Thank you!  I am one of those who also get HBO Max content for free because I subscribe to HBO through my cable provider.  I wanted the content I'm entitled to and I would have preferred to get it on my Roku.  Be that as it may, I bought a Samsung TV for my bedroom and an Apple TV to add to my office Roku TV and I'm now getting HBO Max and I'll be able to get Peacock when it comes out.  I have one other Roku TV and I'll probably get a Tivo streaming stick for that one.  That will give us a pretty well-rounded variety of hardware and should cover us for any new releases.

I'm really tired of hearing people comment that we shouldn't be upset because the content isn't that great or the price is too high.  That is for everyone to decide for themselves and while it may not be a good value for one person, it's a great value for someone else.

fm78660
Level 8

Jump to solution

Well, I jump ship. I just got an Amazon Stick 4K. It is way faster than any of my Roku. Plus, it allows me to sideload apps such as HBO Max that are not carried in their app store. Now I can watch the HBO Max that came with my internet package. I really like their remote control as it can turn the TV on and off, plus has volume control with mute.

Bye bye Roku!

SR97355
Level 7

Jump to solution

I read the first 5 or 6 pages on this thread, and did not continue because I didn't really see any new info.

My contribution to this discussion is:  1) about a year ago I moved to ATT fiber internet for my home, 2) last week I received email from ATT indicating that for no extra charge my internet service was upgraded to 1GB and that service comes with HBO Max included.

I was excited.  We don't stream a lot of TV/movies and we don't subscribe to premium channels like HBO, Showtime, etc with our TV provider (not ATT).  Looking at the old series available (like "Coupling") offered on HBO Max, the new upcoming Perry Mason series, and the occasional movie--I thought, wasn't it great when our TV died at Christmas, we bought the TCL TV with Roku built-in!  We also do not have Hulu, Netflix, or other streaming subscriptions.

Imagine my dismay at finding HBO Max can be seen on all of my devices EXCEPT my TV!  My eyes are too old to do much movie or TV watching on my phone...  My suspicious nature kicked in and now I have two questions...1) did ATT "give" me this upgrade and HBO Max to "trap" me into paying more in the future; and 2) did ATT give HBO Max to all its 1GB customers to put added pressure on Roku and Amazon to get what they wanted.

Guess I will continue to look at options for getting HBO Max broadcast to my TV without tying up my phone.  Thanks for listening.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

To the people pointing out that Roku is actually a company whose revenue is generated by advertising and not hardware, Roku has no one else but themselves to blame if that ends up being their undoing. Businesses used to have ethics and people knew what they were getting when they purchased a product, but that went out the window during this last tech bubble, because break things and apologize later. 

That was an unethical approach to take, because misrepresentation is not ok. You, Roku, presented yourself as a hardware company and gained the trust of the public because you make/develop great hardware and told us you were there to provide a platform for all app developers, but now you are claiming you are actually an ad company, so when you fail it's on you, because there are plenty of other options out there as you can see in this thread.

To those of you that insist on holding out, best of luck and remember HBO Max is the Warner Catalog and Peacock is the Universal catalog and they are 2 of the biggest and most loved studios in Hollywood. Roku you have bitten off way more than you can chew and if google buys you, they will figure out a way to drive you further into the ground, not to mention they could care less about a users privacy since google's main source of revenue is ads and selling people's information. How do I know this you ask, I worked for a company that was purchased by google and saw them destroy 2 incredible companies first hand. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

To the people pointing out that Roku is actually a company whose revenue is generated by advertising and not hardware, Roku has no one else but themselves to blame if that ends up being their undoing. Businesses used to have ethics and people knew what they were getting when they purchased a product, but that went out the window during this last tech bubble, because break things and apologize later. 

That was an unethical approach to take, because misrepresentation is not ok. You, Roku, presented yourself as a hardware company and gained the trust of the public because you make/develop great hardware and told us you were there to provide a platform for all app developers, but now you are claiming you are actually an ad company, so when you fail it's on you, because there are plenty of other options out there as you can see in this thread.

To those of you that insist on holding out, best of luck and remember HBO Max is the Warner Catalog and Peacock is the Universal catalog and they are 2 of the biggest and most loved studios in Hollywood. Roku you have bitten off way more than you can chew and if google buys you, they will figure out a way to drive you further into the ground, not to mention they could care less about a users privacy since google's main source of revenue is ads and selling people's information. How do I know this you ask, I worked for a company that was purchased by google and saw them destroy 2 incredible companies first hand. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you.

TheGridUser82
Level 7

Jump to solution

Until Roku & HBO come to a deal, it looks like HBO is honoring pre-existing apps. I only have an HBO Max account but my login works for HBO NOW. It's a fair compromise until Roku pulls there head out.

Casting from the Samsung Galaxy works great too.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

@TheGridUser82 wrote:

Until Roku & HBO come to a deal, it looks like HBO is honoring pre-existing apps. I only have an HBO Max account but my login works for HBO NOW. It's a fair compromise until Roku pulls there head out.

That is incorrect. Support for HBO Go, what a lot of us use, ends at the end of this month, so like some of us have been saying, so long Roku.

0 Kudos