Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Can you please link the way you did this for other users? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I completely agree. The companies that lost money due to cord cutters are trying to get their power to bully us back. Let's not give it to them.

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

Informative article link below about what type of negotiations are going on among all of these parties. This article is specific to Peacock and Roku and Amazon, but replace NBC/Peacock with any other content provider and Roku and Amazon and the rest is mostly the same. It even mentions HBO Max and an interesting note that AT&T may be okay with subscriptions continuing through Roku Channels and Prime Channels, but they want the actual streaming of content to happen in the standalone HBO Max app and not inside the respective channels.

NBCUniversal’s Peacock is unlikely to reach deals with Amazon and Roku by July 15 launch 

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Blade came here to share this very article.  GMTA.

Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Roku is a failing company

Jump to solution

@mmckaibab wrote:

But I don't understand why you can't seem to even entertain the idea that supporting the content you want may not be something they have control over. It seems all the Roku bashers here just can't seem to wrap their minds around the idea that it just might the content providers who are driving this particular exchange, not Roku. As I've pointed out repeatedly, Roku has deals with all the other content providers except AT&T/HBO and, now (for what it's worth, and for me it's not worth anything at all) Peacock. Another poster made the point well. If Roku and Amazon don't stand up to the behemoth that is AT&T/HBO, it won't be long until we have to buy multiple pieces of hardware to get the content the providers have decided to lock behind a wall (thanks for that model, Apple).

And, as I've also said repeatedly, AT&T/HBO just doesn't have any killer content I can't live without. 

MMC,  but HBO DOES have content that I love. I can easily get by without netflix, there originals are getting better but honestly they are marginal at best.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@greenmachine22 wrote:

Very frustrated that Roku and HBO can't figure this out. I have exclusive ROKU devices in my house and now they are useless with one of the best new streaming services out there. How hard can it be? You'd be making a lot more money getting a deal done with HBO than the money you're losing with all this bad press. Just pay the few extra million dollars they're asking for. Take it out of the CEO's bonus and I'm sure they'll survive one less private jet flight to the Maldives. 

@greenmachine22 wrote:

Very frustrated that Roku and HBO can't figure this out. I have exclusive ROKU devices in my house and now they are useless with one of the best new streaming services out there. How hard can it be? You'd be making a lot more money getting a deal done with HBO than the money you're losing with all this bad press. Just pay the few extra million dollars they're asking for. Take it out of the CEO's bonus and I'm sure they'll survive one less private jet flight to the Maldives. 

HBO isn't even asking for more money, they just want ROKU to take less money from them to have the app in the app store.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

One month in . I get adds for HBOMax and it's shows while watching stuff on my Roku. Still can't get HBO Max on my Roko without having to cancel some services and move to others and so other BS work around nonsense. Seriously, just work this sh*t out. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

This reply is for the industry insiders.

Everyone here is debating if Roku is failing.  It isn't, but it could.  Everyone is also talking about whether or not they will have to own multiple devices to stream the things they want to stream.  Some will, but not all of them.

Not all of them because if things go down this road content piracy is going to come back in a big way.  

Did you think you crushed the pirates with internet disconnects and taking them to court?  No, you didn't, dumb dumb.  What happened was services like Netflix and Spotify came along and made that content easy and cost efficient to access.  You didn't punish piracy away, you accidentally made it an irrelevant hassle that nobody with half a brain would mess with.

Now we're starting down that road again where we want to lock content to different services and devices.  You're focused on leveraging market share and exclusivity instead of producing high quality content.

I'm not saying it's right, ethical, or moral, but what happens when you do that is people set up a Plex account and pirate because it's just not a pain in the ass to do that.  Or rather it's less of a pain in the ass.  Then that Plex server gets shared with friends, and loaded with all kinds of content from all manner of legal and illegal sources and shared with friends and family.  Everyone has their own private Netflix for themselves and a group of their closest friends and they get to use one device to access it through a painless and user friendly interface.  Just like they always wanted in the first place.  

So, you've got one of two futures here.  One where you cut the BS and make the deals with Amazon and Roku and actually produce the content your consumers want and make it available in the way they want to consume it.  The other is the one where every jack hole sets up their own private streaming service, cuts a deal with their own preferred platform, and has the insane dream that consumers are going to subscribe to 10 different services on 5 different devices.  When they don't, you're going to start taking 13 year old girls to court for downloading My Little Pony again, public opinion is going to turn on you, again, and only once people start ignoring your content, hating and protesting your practices, and pirating the heck out of everything you make sending your bottom line into the gutter will you then understand that you are woefully inadequate and ill equipped to compete in the new market for content that's been created.  So ill equipped that you broke it.

In summation, this is Roku.  Between Roku and Amazon, there is something like 70% of the streaming market.  This is how we do things now.  Pull your head out of your posterior and realize it's not the 1990's anymore.  This. Is. How. We. Do. Things. Now. Get with the program.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

So - while I can stream HBO Max on my Apple TV no issue, I also am getting the newer Android TV - TiVo Stream 4K for $50. This will stream HBO Max and other services without issue. 

Once Googles Sabrina comes out I’ll pick one up when on sale as well. This will purge me of Roku for the time being and further diversify my hardware. 

Don’t keep all your eggs in one basket people. Pick things up on sale. The TiVo Stream 4K is on a $20 discount right now since it’s new and has some bugs. The bugs should be worked out with further firmware updates but runs HBO Max just fine from reviews. 

Highlighted

I signed up for 30 day trial to HBO MAX but not sure how to access it on my Roku remote? (my choices are Netflix, Hulu, Sling, Now ). Thank you.

0 Kudos