Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Just as you purchase content from content providers like vudu, hulu, hbo, showtime, etc, etc etc on a streaming box.

@mmckaibab wrote:

"Zune is a neutral MP3 player"

But that's only if you already own the mp3s. But, at some point somewhere, you had to purchase the content. Yes. Well over 90% of my music content comes from music I purchased in the ancient days of CDs. And if that's the only content I want, sure. I should be able to buy a piece of hardware that does that for me. But talk about apples and oranges.

The modern entertainment ecosystem isn't at all about simply purchasing content. It is, literally, about renting content and, for the most part, that rental is subsidized by ad revenue. And the rental companies need hardware companies to distribute their rental (and ad) content. So, of course, hardware companies that distribute rental (and ad) content rightfully believe they should get a cut of the action for providing a platform. And that's what this dispute it essentially about: who gets what take of that ad revenue. From everything I've read, AT&T/HBO is trying to create a new business plan and so they're demanding Roku and Amazon rip up their previous agreements on how to share that revenue. But to expect that, just because you buy a piece of hardware you're entitled to the content you want doesn't at all reflect the reality of the current entertainment ecosystem.

@mmckaibab wrote:

"Zune is a neutral MP3 player"

But that's only if you already own the mp3s. But, at some point somewhere, you had to purchase the content. Yes. Well over 90% of my music content comes from music I purchased in the ancient days of CDs. And if that's the only content I want, sure. I should be able to buy a piece of hardware that does that for me. But talk about apples and oranges.

The modern entertainment ecosystem isn't at all about simply purchasing content. It is, literally, about renting content and, for the most part, that rental is subsidized by ad revenue. And the rental companies need hardware companies to distribute their rental (and ad) content. So, of course, hardware companies that distribute rental (and ad) content rightfully believe they should get a cut of the action for providing a platform. And that's what this dispute it essentially about: who gets what take of that ad revenue. From everything I've read, AT&T/HBO is trying to create a new business plan and so they're demanding Roku and Amazon rip up their previous agreements on how to share that revenue. But to expect that, just because you buy a piece of hardware you're entitled to the content you want doesn't at all reflect the reality of the current entertainment ecosystem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Sorry, but you're not purchasing content from HBO or Showtime or Hulu or Showtime or any other monthly subscription content providers.  You're renting it as part of your monthly subscription fee and that fee is subsidized by ad revenue. Even when I actually purchase content from Vudu or Amazon Video and want to play it on Vudu, I have to navigate all their annoying promotions no matter what hardware I use. And, unless I download those purchases and set up my own home media server, I will have to use someone's hardware to access the content I own and, if it's hardware that also provides monthly subscription streaming services, that hardware will be paying the content provider to get a share of their ad revenue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

"The only ads I ever hear are through my podcast subscription."

And you don't think those podcast apps pay some sort of fee to Apple, or Google to get onto their app stores? And if those app stores didn't they could milk considerable money from the podcast apps they wouldn't ratchet up the fees they take from the apps? Same, exact, model just on a much, much smaller scale.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

What a ridiculous post. 147 "kudos"? Don't blame Roku for the lack of Max. And even if you do, why would you no longer recommend Roku? What about the thousands of other apps out there. People are getting stupid now with their threat to "cancel" Roku! Grow up.

Jeff
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Yeah, that's right. Throw out your Roku just because they and Warner Media are in a pissing contest over access to HBO Max. How idiotic. Roku is a device for streaming. If you have a Fire TV, just DL the Android TV version of Max and watch it there. That's what I do. Roku is still the best streaming device around. Apple TV? $250-300 for something that's worth $50? Get real.

Jeff
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@mmckaibab wrote:

Sorry, but you're not purchasing content from HBO or Showtime or Hulu or Showtime or any other monthly subscription content providers.  You're renting it as part of your monthly subscription fee and that fee is subsidized by ad revenue. Even when I actually purchase content from Vudu or Amazon Video and want to play it on Vudu, I have to navigate all their annoying promotions no matter what hardware I use. And, unless I download those purchases and set up my own home media server, I will have to use someone's hardware to access the content I own and, if it's hardware that also provides monthly subscription streaming services, that hardware will be paying the content provider to get a share of their ad revenue.

True, but I am ok with renting a whole bunch of content for what I consider a reasonable price from those providers. hence they become content providers. Except for VUDU, I BUY movies from them in most cases and then I have them when I want them. These are all just semantics. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@mmckaibab wrote:

"The only ads I ever hear are through my podcast subscription."

And you don't think those podcast apps pay some sort of fee to Apple, or Google to get onto their app stores? And if those app stores didn't they could milk considerable money from the podcast apps they wouldn't ratchet up the fees they take from the apps? Same, exact, model just on a much, much smaller scale.

I do blame Roku for the lack of HBO MAX, and obviously others didn't feel the same way you did. And no I am not throwing out my Roku's, I am just not going to upgrade them anytime soon. Instead I will put my money into boxes that can get the content I want. And as a side note I will recommend or not recommend whatever I want. It is my opinion to give or with hold not yours. Unfortunately for Roku my opinion within my group is generally very well regarded. If they want me to continue to recommend there product they will fix this. If they don't care they won't.

This should have quoted jeffws, that was who the reply was for.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Sheesh! I NEVER said you couldn't have your own opinion. But you put it up here and so I was just responding with my own take on the problems I found with your argument. And it just seems to me unrealistic that ANY particular piece of hardware is going to permanently solve any of this. When I was a DirecTV subscriber I was fairly regularly barraged with DTV ads about how some providers were being unreasonable and that they were going to not be able to provide the content subscribers wanted. 

And I'm glad your opinion holds sway in your group. Just wish you'd be a little more balanced about who is actually the huge corporate shark in this scenario.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@mmckaibab wrote:

Sheesh! I NEVER said you couldn't have your own opinion. But you put it up here and so I was just responding with my own take on the problems I found with your argument. And it just seems to me unrealistic that ANY particular piece of hardware is going to permanently solve any of this. When I was a DirecTV subscriber I was fairly regularly barraged with DTV ads about how some providers were being unreasonable and that they were going to not be able to provide the content subscribers wanted. 

And I'm glad your opinion holds sway in your group. Just wish you'd be a little more balanced about who is actually the huge corporate shark in this scenario.

Actually I edited that response because for some reason it responded to you, but it was actually for Jeffws not you. Sorry about the confusion.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

No problem.

0 Kudos