Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@gbcox wrote:

Source: Actually I read this somewhere in THIS thread. feel free to page through the 30 some pages like I did initially., The fact is regardless of how you try to spin it, ROKU is regarded by most to be a HARDWARE vendor. They have a nice interface which and they have a lot of apps available for use. However, when that changes the value of the box becomes nil.

You're the one that brought it up, you find it and reference it.  Another person referenced that it was a quote from someone at HBO and when pressed, they admitted they didn't know what they were talking about... so there is that...  As far as being in the Hardware business:  Roku is in the Ad Business 

Wow and all these years I thought I was buying hardware from them... Oh yeah I have been. I have never bought an Ad from Roku. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yeah, there are countless articles about this debacle.  Here's another one:  How Judge Leon blew it with U.S. v AT&T , and another:  Public Knowledge on HBO Blackout: We Told You So and yet another:  AT&T tried to buy out the streaming wars — and customers are paying for it 

I could go on and on.  So bottom line, this has nothing to do with Roku... it's at&t turning over every rock possible to get customers to pay for their mistakes.  There is a reason that HBO hasn't been on SlingTV for over a year - yet Showtime and Starz are still there.

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Being a little disingenuous are we? Of course you have never bought an ad from Roku. Nor from HBO, or Google, or Facebook, nor any other online service. But the reality is that for almost all of these services, their major source of income is selling ads to advertisers. Our subscription or hardware fees are mostly so they can use that data to sell ads.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

And yet from a consumer perspective they ARE a hardware company. They sell a box which allows people to access streaming TV. If they cannot provide the apps / channels that people want, people will go elsewhere and then there business model falls apart. THAT is my point.

@mmckaibab wrote:

Being a little disingenuous are we? Of course you have never bought an ad from Roku. Nor from HBO, or Google, or Facebook, nor any other online service. But the reality is that for almost all of these services, their major source of income is selling ads to advertisers. Our subscription or hardware fees are mostly so they can use that data to sell ads.

@mmckaibab wrote:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@gbcox wrote:

Yeah, there are countless articles about this debacle.  Here's another one:  How Judge Leon blew it with U.S. v AT&T , and another:  Public Knowledge on HBO Blackout: We Told You So and yet another:  AT&T tried to buy out the streaming wars — and customers are paying for it 

I could go on and on.  So bottom line, this has nothing to do with Roku... it's at&t turning over every rock possible to get customers to pay for their mistakes.  There is a reason that HBO hasn't been on SlingTV for over a year - yet Showtime and Starz are still there.

And I disagree GB. I would lay the blame at BOTH companies feet. But the fact is that ROKU has an app available. And if they are making money off the box, and money off advertising, and now they want subs to? The fact is both companies are unreasonable. That is a FACT. They need to fix it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@mmckaibab wrote:

So let me see if I understand this. I pay for a piece of electronics. I don't pay any subscription fee. I purchase this equipment to access programming on services not owned by Roku and pay directly to those services. Why should Roku be playing ads on my time?  Roku should be no different from an MP3 player. They are supposed to be a neutral party where I can play any content that I subscribe to no different from playing any music I have on said mp3 player. If some service has a legal app providing programming I subscribe to legally I should be able to have it on MY piece of electronics I purchased with my money. If Roku wants to be an ad company they can keep their hardware. I purchased a piece of hardware not an ad supported rental unit. 

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@mmckaibab wrote:

Not apples, bananas at all. The article gives a clear context into the lengths AT&T will go to gain a greater control of this particular market and boost its profits. Pretty much exactly what they appear to be doing here in trying to strong-arm Roku and Amazon into a new agreement while, at the same time, charging individual subscribers a good deal more than other streaming services are charging.

All content providers, including local channels are trying to squeeze every dime from the consumer.   It is not just ATT.    Unless it is in writing, and unless you can prove that what was in writing was what was promised in court, every big corp is gonna do what corps do, get every dime they can from you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@mmckaibab wrote:

Just ignore their posts.  They are either woefully disinformed or just trolling.  Either way, you're not going to solve that issue here.  People with comprehension levels of a 3rd grader will get it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Well, I guess, some people who are tied into the AT&T/HBO behemoth might spend money on some other hardware. Me, I'm perfectly happy with my Rokus, their (at least for me) sweet interface across all my devices, and my ability to take one with me when I travel and get my content not my relatives' content, or the hotel's content. Given that--again for me, YMMV--HBO hasn't really developed any must see original content since Game of Thrones, I really don't have nearly as much invested in HBO as I do in all my other content that I can get through my Rokus. And, given that AT&T/HBO's revenues dwarf Roku's, I'm much more willing to give the little guy the benefit of the doubt than I am a massive corporate behemoth that has proved itself a dishonest actor in this industry. Right now, for me to abandon Roku, AT&T/HBO would have to come up with some amazingly incredible content for me to bother moving my YTTV, Showtime, ESPN+, Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, PBS, etc., etc. content to some other hardware. If all these other content providers can work with Roku, why can't AT&T/HBO?

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@Bear3825 wrote:

@mmckaibab wrote:

So let me see if I understand this. I pay for a piece of electronics. I don't pay any subscription fee. I purchase this equipment to access programming on services not owned by Roku and pay directly to those services. Why should Roku be playing ads on my time?  Roku should be no different from an MP3 player. They are supposed to be a neutral party where I can play any content that I subscribe to no different from playing any music I have on said mp3 player. If some service has a legal app providing programming I subscribe to legally I should be able to have it on MY piece of electronics I purchased with my money. If Roku wants to be an ad company they can keep their hardware. I purchased a piece of hardware not an ad supported rental unit. 

Bear I agree!

0 Kudos