Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

I got a chrome cast much cheaper than an Apple TV and it works well

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

@gbcox wrote:

Yeah, @vike hit the nail on the head. It's amazing how many people just get on here and rant without having a clue about what they are talking about, either that or they are just at&t trolls.  Some more information is here:  How AT&T Fooled the Federal Judiciary so they latest shenanigans they are trying to pull with HBOMax is just more of the same.  

The info provided at https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/07/opinion/att-hbo-antitrust.html is reason enough to NEVER support HBO Max, since it's now owned by AT&T, who LIED to a judge to get it!

However, for those that DO want HBO Max for Roku and can get past AT&T's corporate greed and lying to get what they wanted, I do hope it eventually becomes available for Roku.  But I personally will never subscribe.

AT&T NEEDS to be held accountable and SEVERELY punished for LYING to a judge!  But sadly, I won't hold my breath waiting...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@gbcox wrote:

@mmckaibab wrote:

"it was already stated earlier that the terms of the HBO Max agreement mirror Roku's new agreement with Disney+"

Source? Where was this stated and who did the stating? I've not seen anything that states this.

Spoiler alert... it isn't true.

Source: Actually I read this somewhere in THIS thread. feel free to page through the 30 some pages like I did initially., The fact is regardless of how you try to spin it, ROKU is regarded by most to be a HARDWARE vendor. They have a nice interface which and they have a lot of apps available for use. However, when that changes the value of the box becomes nil.

Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

What is the name of heaven does that to do with the current situation between Roku and HBO? Apples, bananas.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

@Boz wrote:

The info provided at https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/07/opinion/att-hbo-antitrust.html is reason enough to NEVER support HBO Max, since it's now owned by AT&T, who LIED to a judge to get it!

However, for those that DO want HBO Max for Roku and can get past AT&T's corporate greed and lying to get what they wanted, I do hope it eventually becomes available for Roku.  But I personally will never subscribe.

AT&T NEEDS to be held accountable and SEVERELY punished for LYING to a judge!  But sadly, I won't hold my breath waiting...

Not surprised that you prefer to let Roku determine what you can and can't watch. After all, you let 18 month old NYT opinion pieces do your thinking for you. Go (try to ) pull down a statue of Alexander Graham Bell.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Pretty happy with the one I just got 

@Annemdz wrote:

I got a chrome cast much cheaper than an Apple TV and it works well

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Source: Actually I read this somewhere in THIS thread. feel free to page through the 30 some pages like I did initially., The fact is regardless of how you try to spin it, ROKU is regarded by most to be a HARDWARE vendor. They have a nice interface which and they have a lot of apps available for use. However, when that changes the value of the box becomes nil.

You're the one that brought it up, you find it and reference it.  Another person referenced that it was a quote from someone at HBO and when pressed, they admitted they didn't know what they were talking about... so there is that...  As far as being in the Hardware business:  Roku is in the Ad Business 

Highlighted
Level 11

Jump to solution

If you don't want them. If you don't trust them. If you don't want to favor them with your money, then why are you weighing in? I myself don't trust the New York Times, so I don't subscribe. If they told me I was dead, I'd check my pulse to make sure!

Good luck with your one man crusade!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

The 18-month old article sets the context for AT&T/HBO's essentially dishonest business dealings. And these articles point out how AT&T/HBO is more likely to the be bad actor in this dispute.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/where-is-my-hbo-max-heres-why-roku-and-fire-tv-users-dont-get-upgrade/

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/06/03/why-hbo-max-isnt-on-roku-or-fire-tv-yet.aspx

At least some folks here are at least trying to do some thinking as opposed to just making unsupported out of nowhere claims that it's Roku that's "determining what you can watch," when it's much more likely to be AT&T/HBO who is making that determination.

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Not apples, bananas at all. The article gives a clear context into the lengths AT&T will go to gain a greater control of this particular market and boost its profits. Pretty much exactly what they appear to be doing here in trying to strong-arm Roku and Amazon into a new agreement while, at the same time, charging individual subscribers a good deal more than other streaming services are charging.