Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Yeah, @vike hit the nail on the head. It's amazing how many people just get on here and rant without having a clue about what they are talking about, either that or they are just at&t trolls.  Some more information is here:  How AT&T Fooled the Federal Judiciary so they latest shenanigans they are trying to pull with HBOMax is just more of the same.  

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Excellent article and makes pretty clear what is going on right now with AT&T/HBO and Roku and Amazon.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Since, "I won't give up my Roku until they pry it from my cold, dead hands" HBO MAX can go. In a simple search of all it provides, it was useless anyway.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

There is already an app for HBO now and HBO Go so why the holdup for Max?????

Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

Actually it was already stated earlier that the terms of the HBO Max agreement mirror Roku's new agreement with Disney+ So it does not appear that they are asking for something that hasn't been done before. It should also be noted that the two hold outs in this case (Roku and Fire TV) account for roughly 70 percent of all streaming devices in the nation. That alone gives them a lot of bargaining power, until they ruin there business model by destroying there relationships with content providers. If they get away with doing this to ATT HBO, who says next year they can't do it to netflix? hulu? Acorn TV? etc. In short they are a content delivery provider that really specializes in selling hardware. Now they want to get paid to allow a content producer to put apps in there store.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

@gbcox wrote:

Yeah, @vike hit the nail on the head. It's amazing how many people just get on here and rant without having a clue about what they are talking about, either that or they are just at&t trolls.  Some more information is here:  How AT&T Fooled the Federal Judiciary so they latest shenanigans they are trying to pull with HBOMax is just more of the same.  

@gbcox wrote:

The article itself is well written. If this is the case I would expect ATT to be the target of another anti trust probe soon. This certainly won't be the first time the government has declared them a monopoly and made them divest or spin off divisions to prevent anti competitive practices. You may have to wait until there is a new president who is willing to fire Ajit Pai (the current head of the FCC) (sp?) though. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

"it was already stated earlier that the terms of the HBO Max agreement mirror Roku's new agreement with Disney+"

Source? Where was this stated and who did the stating? I've not seen anything that states this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Jmsherman8 wrote:

Actually it was already stated earlier that the terms of the HBO Max agreement mirror Roku's new agreement with Disney+ So it does not appear that they are asking for something that hasn't been done before. It should also be noted that the two hold outs in this case (Roku and Fire TV) account for roughly 70 percent of all streaming devices in the nation. That alone gives them a lot of bargaining power, until they ruin there business model by destroying there relationships with content providers. If they get away with doing this to ATT HBO, who says next year they can't do it to netflix? hulu? Acorn TV? etc. In short they are a content delivery provider that really specializes in selling hardware. Now they want to get paid to allow a content producer to put apps in there store.

You need to re-read what I wrote and the included reference to the @vike comment.  Roku doesn't specialize in selling hardware.  Hardware is their loss leader.  As far as the comment regarding Disney+ that isn't going to be disclosed anywhere, it's highly competitive material.  Roku nor Disney is going to let that leak, let alone in this forum. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@mmckaibab wrote:

"it was already stated earlier that the terms of the HBO Max agreement mirror Roku's new agreement with Disney+"

Source? Where was this stated and who did the stating? I've not seen anything that states this.

Spoiler alert... it isn't true.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Yeah one of the interviews with the head of HBO Max had him saying something to the effect of HBO Max wanting the same kind of deal Netflix and Disney+ got (which is maybe silly all by itself, it doesn't seem Max is actually a player on that level to begin with) but then went on in the interview to essentially admit that he didn't have the details of either deal because nobody does.  

It seems like it's HBO'S strategy to act like this has something to do with making apps available, but they had one for Go and I doubt either Amazon or Roku balked at that.  I'm essentially certain it comes down to revenue sharing agreements and HBO doesn't want to give up much of their subscription fee to get into either ecosystem.  Who knows if it is more or less than what Roku keeps from a company like Netflix.  

I don't know, I thought about Android or Apple TV but I'm honestly not motivated enough to buy either just for this one service, and something else will be unavailable no matter which I choose.  So I give up.  I get Max for free with my internet but haven't used it and won't.  Nor will it play into my decision to keep or drop my internet access because I'm not going to go out of my way to use their product.  I'm paying for it.  They need to bring it to me.

0 Kudos