Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@j_m_ wrote:

I have seen enough of your previous posts to know which "side" you are on. I'm on no side and just call it like it is, unlike the many "Roku can do no wrong" folks here.

Two sides are negotiating. Take a deep breath.

I subscribe to HBO Max and I own Roku devices. I want them both to get what they can. I also want us all to have access to reasonably priced easy to use devices that deliver 4K, HDR and ATMOS to our televisions. That happens in a business model where the monthly revenue generated is reasonably shared among all parties. You just called it wrong on the post about HBO GO and where the original posters anger should be aimed. No worries. No harm.  Smiley Happy

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

HBO and roku need to come to some sort of deal I have hbo max and love roku but its getting out of hand missing out on a big service like hbo max . Maybe someone should create a petition to send to roku and at&t .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 13

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@THUNDERDOGS87 wrote:

HBO and roku need to come to some sort of deal I have hbo max and love roku but its getting out of hand missing out on a big service like hbo max . Maybe someone should create a petition to send to roku and at&t .


There is a link to an article on the previous page of this thread by @bknabe that I found informative. You can certainly see why each side is taking the position that they are. We are stuck in the middle, we don't have to like it. But, it does lay out why we are where we are. Unfortunately, it may mean that the standoff may be longer than any of us wish it to be.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

I was an early adopter to cord cutting and currently have a Roku 4200x, so it's safe to say that I'm long overdue for an upgrade. For the most part I've really enjoyed my Roku and I've liked the fact that they were staying in their lane, hardware, but when I saw them starting to branch out I knew trouble was on the horizon.

I currently use HBO GO to access HBO content and have an HBO MAX account. I am a big Warner fan and Warner films dominate my film collection. I have checked out the HBO MAX app and there is a lot of great content that I want to watch. They have Criterion Films available like Hulu used to have and a great selection of classics, that is very appealing to me.

After seeing the message on top of my HBO GO app this morning my decision has become final. I am not an Apple fan boy and am not a big fan of their product, I think it's overpriced and too much emphasis is placed on form, not function, but Apple for the most part has stayed in their lane and it's hard to deny that they make great hardware, so if this HBO/Roku thing is not resolved in 2 weeks, I will be purchasing an Apple TV, because at the moment they seem to be the best game in town and with the threat of google purchasing Roku it makes the decision that much easier. I value my privacy. 

Apple TV also comes with a year of their content, which looks pretty good, so if you do the math the price of Apple TV isn't all that bad.

Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Roku is holding out for more money, that is why we do not have it

Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Actually evidence out there is that HBO is holding out for more money, and that is why we do not have it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@blade_005 wrote:

@j_m_ wrote:

I have seen enough of your previous posts to know which "side" you are on. I'm on no side and just call it like it is, unlike the many "Roku can do no wrong" folks here.

Two sides are negotiating. Take a deep breath.

I subscribe to HBO Max and I own Roku devices. I want them both to get what they can. I also want us all to have access to reasonably priced easy to use devices that deliver 4K, HDR and ATMOS to our televisions. That happens in a business model where the monthly revenue generated is reasonably shared among all parties. You just called it wrong on the post about HBO GO and where the original posters anger should be aimed. No worries. No harm.  Smiley Happy


I simply disagree that Roku is entitled to insert itself between HBO (or any other steamer) and HBO's customers so that it can take a cut of the monthly subscriber revenue from content they neither make nor distribute/deliver. They certainly aren't entitled to much, and that is what HBO is likely negotiating and rightly so.

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

I don't think there is any evidence out there at all.  But logically, if Roku wasn't demanding money from HBO, the app would be there - HBO makes money on subscriptions, and the fewer platforms they are available on, the smaller the potential pool of subscribers.  The only thing that makes sense is that Roku wants a cut of the HBO revenue, same as cable providers (and a position supported by numerous articles on The Verge, Variety, Motley Fool, etc.).   Also, HBO apparently doesn't want to be available through the platform's own "channels", which gives the device companies an even larger cut.  Apple agreed to this - HBO was available through an Apple TV channel, but HBO Max isn't.  So far, Roku and Amazon haven't agreed to host the standalone app without the service also being available through their proprietary channels.  So basically, depending on your point of view, Roku is holding out for more money from HBO or HBO is holding out to pay less money to Roku.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@mmckaibab wrote:

Actually evidence out there is that HBO is holding out for more money, and that is why we do not have it.


No, the evidence is that HBO is trying to keep more of its own money that it generates from subscribers to content HBO makes and delivers and that Roku wants a bigger cut of that than what makes good business sense. Roku is not a cable company, which actually built and maintained the substantial and costly infrastructure that delivered traditional HBO to your home, but it sure seems it is trying to be. We know how that ends.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@NetMinder wrote:

So basically, depending on your point of view, Roku is holding out for more money from HBO or HBO is holding out to pay less money to Roku.


This 100%.