Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Paddypods
Level 10

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@debsmith5065 wrote:

And it would appear that most of you have missed my point - all Roku has to offer us is hardware, they don't have ANY original content that would promote brand loyalty.  If they can't provide the content their customers want, what is the point of owning their hardware.

I think this entire mess with HBO Max is flat on both parties.  However, Roku made a deal with Disney+ that, from what we know, fairly well mirrors what ATT/Warner is asking.  

Let me put it another way.  I was a Fire TV household.  However, I wanted to cut some costs and get rid of cable boxes in a couple of my rarely used rooms, but I wanted to be able to access the CONTENT I was paying for with my cable subscription.  Fire TV does not support the Spectrum app, which would have allowed me to get rid of those boxes.  Roku does, so I switched to Roku.  I love the product, I love the interface.  I even love the remote.  However, if I can't access the content I want on it, it's useless to me so I have no reason to stay loyal to Roku.

Unfortunately, CONTENT is king and if people can't get the content with their existing Roku devices, they will replace them with different devices, therefore ROKU has more to lose by not making a deal than ATT/Warner does.

And as another point, if Roku starts choosing who to play hardball with, you could soon find YOUR favorite content gone, as almost happened with the Super Bowl this year.

Well put! I have tried to make the same points, including my belief that this will happen with future content providers, because it has happened already (before HBO Max). I see a pattern emerging that makes Roku look like my old cable company. The simple fact is that I want the content, and the hardware I purchased is no longer allowing me to access the content. Therefore, I am testing other hardware. 

Paddypods
Level 10

Jump to solution

@mmckaibab wrote:

"if this is going to become a regular thing and Roku is going to hold us hostage while they neogtiate . . . "

Huh? Why is it Roku holding us hostage? Why isn't it AT&T and HBO? They're the big players here (comparatively), they're the ones trying to change the deal. They're the ones refusing to release the content while they negotiate.

HBO is not refusing to release the content. HBO Max content is available right now through other platforms, and HBO has already developed an HBO Max app for the Roku platform. It is ready to go. Roku is not allowing access to the HBO Max app through its channel store.

txgonzo2015
Level 7

Jump to solution

Follow up to my first reply and what I stated seems to be correct. Look at this:

As of right now, CNET reports that there is no deal in place with WarnerMedia to bring a HBO Max app to Roku or Amazon Fire TV. However, it is likely that this is a negotiating tactic for the companies involved. Such tactics are often used in TV, and as a way for one company to gain a more lucrative deal. Since Roku and Amazon Fire TV collectively account for a large portion of the streaming market, it seems very likely that HBO Max will eventually be available for users to watch on both services. Considering both sides seem to be holding out and banking on their own consumer power to get the deal that's right for them, when remains to be seen.

0 Kudos
hmwjr
Level 8

Jump to solution

Exactly!!!! 

0 Kudos
vike
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Paddypods wrote:

HBO is not refusing to release the content. HBO Max content is available right now through other platforms, and HBO has already developed an HBO Max app for the Roku platform. It is ready to go. Roku is not allowing access to the HBO Max app through its channel store.

You are entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts.  The issue here is not HBO's content, but the HBO MAX app for Roku; the fact that AT&T has released an app for other platforms has nothing to do with that.  Roku is not blocking the replacement of HBO NOW with HBO MAX in the Channel Store; AT&T can do that quite literally any minute it chooses to.  AT&T is withholding the HBO MAX app from the Channel Store.  They will not release that app for installation on Roku devices until Roku agrees to change the terms of the agreement already in place for HBO NOW.  That is AT&T's choice.  It is Roku's choice not to accept those changes, and one can debate the merits of that choice, but it is simply not true that AT&T wants to put their app in the Channel Store and Roku won't let them.

This doesn't mean that AT&T is entirely wrong or that Roku is entirely right.  It does mean that AT&T is the party trying to force a change in the relationship between the two companies by withholding an application from paying HBO customers until AT&T gets what it wants from Roku.  That's hardball stuff, and reasonable people can disagree about how reasonable it is for AT&T to do that, but it doesn't change the bare facts about what's going on.  Annoyed as you might be with what's going on and inclined as you might be to lay the blame on Roku, misrepresenting the situation doesn't help your argument.

debsmith5065
Level 10

Jump to solution

While you may be right - it doesn't help Roku's position.  Without the content they get from all the providers who have apps on their device, the Roku itself is basically a plastic stick that plugs in to the television.

Maybe what needs to happen is Roku needs to look at it's business model and invest in some good content that is unique to their platform.  I do agree that eventually Roku will cave to ATT/Warner and come to an agreement.  They have more to lose in the end than ATT does in this fight.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

The reason why HBO Max is not on Roku is really simple; There are rumors floating around that google is going to buy Roku and I would place a wager that the chance of it happening are more likely than unlikely. If you were ATT would you just hand over your app to a company that is about to be purchased by that monstrosity? 

I see an Apple TV in my future. 

0 Kudos
Akheva
Level 7

Jump to solution

All of you are wrong. Whats happening is that after a week of watching the countdown tick down, we were finally able to witness the monster take on the robot that was in the process of being built. The event had several names leading up to the actual fight: Cattus vs. Doggus, Robot vs. Monster and even Mecha vs. Monster.

If you weren't able to watch the event live, don't worry the Jokolhops has you covered. When it jangs on the interwebs you will have the monster on monster action you requested......

That's whats happening...

0 Kudos
vike
Level 9

Jump to solution

@txgonzo2015 wrote:

As of right now, CNET reports that there is no deal in place with WarnerMedia to bring a HBO Max app to Roku or Amazon Fire TV. However, it is likely that this is a negotiating tactic for the companies involved. Such tactics are often used in TV, and as a way for one company to gain a more lucrative deal. Since Roku and Amazon Fire TV collectively account for a large portion of the streaming market, it seems very likely that HBO Max will eventually be available for users to watch on both services. Considering both sides seem to be holding out and banking on their own consumer power to get the deal that's right for them, when remains to be seen.

Yes, and at the moment AT&T has shown amazing incompetence in establishing a negotiating position.  They should have cut whatever deal they needed to with Amazon, which a) has a smaller share of the "streamer stick" market than Roku, and b) is under little to no pressure because of its "unsupported" ability to run Android TV apps (i.e., via side-loading, mentioned by many posters here) and its focus on other revenue sources (the main purpose of AMZ devices being to deliver AMZ-provided media).

Instead of recognizing this obvious dynamic, AT&T very publicly decided they should defer discussions w/AMZ and come back later after getting a Roku deal as leverage.  The problem is that with no prospect of an AMZ deal, the pressure's off Roku - they know full well that most users are not inclined to a) side-load anything (just note how many here would rather blow $$$ on AppleTV), b) spend $100+ on Nvidia hardware, or c) shop for dicey no-name Android streamers.  Chromecasts are a mild threat, but not much until the ChromeNestUltraSabrina becomes a reality.  So while we're all left steaming on the sidelines, Roku's getting along just fine with the current setup for HBO NOW, and HBO MAX is cut off from somewhere in the neighborhood of 70% of the streaming audience (I've read that's the share for Roku and AMZ combined).

By skipping the AMZ deal, AT&T gave up their most serious leverage over Roku - the threat of arming FireSticks with a killer app that Roku lacked.  They could still do that, though probably under less favorable terms than they might have had before the launch; otherwise, Roku's incentives are to avoid setting a bad precedent for when the next lumbering conglomerate wants to say "gimme".

A lot of folks here seem to think Roku's getting greedy.  I think they're realizing how vulnerable they are to being pushed around if they cave on this; it's a threat to their whole business model.  For their part, AT&T appears to be registering a kind of dim surprise that they aren't getting what they want when they ask for it.  Honestly, if it's a race between Roku getting scared and AT&T getting smarter, I have no idea which way to bet.  I just hope one or the other happens pretty soon.

Iamrss
Level 7

Jump to solution

Blame HBO for dropping the ball not roku, cancel HBO until they can get their nonsense in order.