Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jmsherman8
Level 12

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Ok if that is the case then I can see your point. However, what I am sure of is that I am a subscriber to HBO Max, and if this isn't resolved in a timely fashion, I will switch over to android boxes that can handle this service. I love my Roku's and I have been a customer, who has upgraded boxes from the very beginning with them. I love the service, but they need to be able to deliver the content that I need.

0 Kudos
mmckaibab
Level 10

Jump to solution

@Jmsherman8 wrote:

I love the service, but they need to be able to deliver the content that I need.

But they can't deliver the content when then content owner won't let them. This is what I don't get about everyone blaming Roku for something that, for the most part, is not in their control. Unless everyone thinks they should just roll over and give the much, much larger AT&T a sweetheart deal.

debsmith5065
Level 10

Jump to solution

I guess it all comes down to what we think Roku's responsibility to us is.  They are primarily a hardware company, they do not create content.

So, in my mind at least, they need to make every effort to ensure that we get the content on their hardware, otherwise, there are other options available.  For the moment, I'm not ditching my Roku hardware, but if this is going to become a regular thing and Roku is going to hold us hostage while they neogtiate, then I may be forced to down the line.

All that being said, I'm not a fan of the Firestick.  What is everyone's opinion on Apple TV?  I don't want a Chromecast because I don't want to be tied to my phone or tablet for streaming.  And if i went Android box, I would have no clue where to start.

0 Kudos
TheDarkKnight
Level 8

Jump to solution

@Inkmeal wrote:

Well... it was a great free trial. I cancelled HBO Max yesterday though before being charged. Without Roku (for me) it's nothing more than a niche website. It's the first streaming service I ever cancelled. I have Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, Prime... I have no problem paying the sub fees and would have happily paid HBO... but like I said, until they actually release it in full mode and not just a desktop version, it's worthless to me. Also I hated the way they handled episodes. No next episode button or option to watch the next episode without going back to the selection screen. Seems like the whole thing was just poorly rushed together. 

I did the same two weeks ago. Did they have a "why are you leaving?" type question? I ask because when I cancelled, they didn't want to know why (which means they don't care). I had to email them to tell them why I cancelled (no deal with Roku).

0 Kudos
mmckaibab
Level 10

Jump to solution

"if this is going to become a regular thing and Roku is going to hold us hostage while they neogtiate . . . "

Huh? Why is it Roku holding us hostage? Why isn't it AT&T and HBO? They're the big players here (comparatively), they're the ones trying to change the deal. They're the ones refusing to release the content while they negotiate.

Jmsherman8
Level 12

Jump to solution

That is the thing, they CAN deliver the content. They are holding out trying to get a sweeter deal for themselves. If it's both parties, then both parties need to fix it before we all start voting with our wallets. unfortunately for Roku, HBOMAX is a deal breaker for me. they don't get this fixed, I stop recommending there boxes to friends, relatives, business associates, etc. for streaming. In addition in the future I will move away from upgrading Roku boxes and instead replace the ones that I have with android boxes that will run all of the streaming apps. Shield TV boxes are expensive but very powerful.

But the reason I am posting here is I hope that the ROKU team gets the picture and fixes this so that I don't have to do that. I have been a Roku user for years. I love the platform, but the platform is useless if they start playing games trying to pad there own pocket book a little bit more. In other words it feels to me like they are getting a bit to greedy with this deal.

0 Kudos
vike
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Jmsherman8 wrote:

Ok if that is the case then I can see your point. However, what I am sure of is that I am a subscriber to HBO Max, and if this isn't resolved in a timely fashion, I will switch over to android boxes that can handle this service. I love my Roku's and I have been a customer, who has upgraded boxes from the very beginning with them. I love the service, but they need to be able to deliver the content that I need.

This is entirely understandable.  Whenever there are conflicts like this, consumers are forced to make undesirable choices.  Since I have Android TV and Roku, I'm likely to wind up with HBO either way, since Android's on the big TV and "plain" HBO on the 2nd TV w/Roku is kinda okay.  At the very least, AT&T needs to make clear that this will work as a stopgap until this nonsense is worked out, but the fact is they haven't (the communications about the new "Just HBO" app have been maddeningly vague).  For now, I'm voting with my dollars and watching other services; I don't want to buy any more hardware and I don't particularly want to have a service that's crippled on some of my TVs.  If we're still in this limbo when the ChromeNestUltra (whatever) comes out, it will be time to re-evaluate.  Rokus have been great because they deliver the most content, but if their dependency on deals for revenue affects their ability to deliver apps, Android TV may wind up the better bet.

Pity if that happens - I really love these disposable streaming sticks.  $100 dongles aren't quite so disposable.

mmckaibab
Level 10

Jump to solution

This is somewhat fascinating to me in how it reveals what people value. Some, apparently, are intensely tied into content and so, apparently, are more willing to blame Roku. Others, like me, are more tied into their hardware and a consistent experience across devices, than any specific content. 

My own experience is that HBO has become less and less important to my content viewing. We are spending much more time with Showtime and other content providers, so having to pay a premium for HBO is rather annoying.

So, of course, I'm much more willing to blame AT&T and HBO for this issue than I am to blame Roku.

mmckaibab
Level 10

Jump to solution

Again, if AT&T won't give them the content then they CAN'T deliver the content. Again, given the bargaining disparity of the two organizations, it seems much more likely that AT&T/HBO are the ones doing the extortion here. As for me, I can easily live without HBO Max content until AT&T/HBO are willing to be more reasonable. And I continue to be baffled that folks want so much to blame the little guy in this dispute.

debsmith5065
Level 10

Jump to solution

And it would appear that most of you have missed my point - all Roku has to offer us is hardware, they don't have ANY original content that would promote brand loyalty.  If they can't provide the content their customers want, what is the point of owning their hardware.

I think this entire mess with HBO Max is flat on both parties.  However, Roku made a deal with Disney+ that, from what we know, fairly well mirrors what ATT/Warner is asking.  

Let me put it another way.  I was a Fire TV household.  However, I wanted to cut some costs and get rid of cable boxes in a couple of my rarely used rooms, but I wanted to be able to access the CONTENT I was paying for with my cable subscription.  Fire TV does not support the Spectrum app, which would have allowed me to get rid of those boxes.  Roku does, so I switched to Roku.  I love the product, I love the interface.  I even love the remote.  However, if I can't access the content I want on it, it's useless to me so I have no reason to stay loyal to Roku.

Unfortunately, CONTENT is king and if people can't get the content with their existing Roku devices, they will replace them with different devices, therefore ROKU has more to lose by not making a deal than ATT/Warner does.

And as another point, if Roku starts choosing who to play hardball with, you could soon find YOUR favorite content gone, as almost happened with the Super Bowl this year.