Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MoviesProbably
Level 10

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Yeah, it's been a month, this is ridiculous. Especially since many people with HBO Max are getting it free with an AT&T service, already had HBO GO or NOW, or got the $3 a month discount by pre-ordering from HBO directly so, they're not going to get that many Roku-billed subs anyway, especially now that their terrible relationship with AT&T is so obvious and people know that they need the flexibility of being billed directly so they aren't stuck with Roku when another dispute with them inevitably happens. I wouldn't bill anything through Roku at this point, certainly nothing AT&T related.

And it's looking like Roku might not have Peacock either. What a mess. From the best streaming option to the worst in less than a year. Good job, guys.

Roku is being blamed instead of HBO because Roku are the ones being unreasonable (so is Amazon for that matter but their customers aren't suffering for it since they can sideload).

0 Kudos
Jmsherman8
Level 12

Jump to solution

Yep and the reason they are being blamed for it is because ROKU is holding out for more money per subscription. Which is why the channel isn't available. The HBOMAX channel is already ready on the att/ hbo side. All they have to do is sign the agreement and release it to us to use. So yes this is completely a ROKU issue.

mmckaibab
Level 10

Jump to solution

And you have something supporting this claim? Seems to me much more likely that its AT&T holding out for more of each subscription from Roku. But I'm not making an absolute claim of that the way you are as there's really not any evidence out there one way or the other.

Jmsherman8
Level 12

Jump to solution

The article I read was on CNET. It was very clear that the app was written for both the ROKU and AMAZON platforms. All they had to do was come to a final agreement and both were holding out for more. Seeing that the apps are already written by HBOMAX I would say they are very committed to getting this out there.

0 Kudos
SHatRO
Level 8

Jump to solution

I would definitely NOT blame ROKU for this.

AT&T / Warner has consumed, chewed up, and spit out DirecTV - first ruining its customer service, then ruining its tech, all the while raising prices to gouge the consumer.  Now they have taken over DC comics and is ruining decades long relationships with distributors and retailers - literally driving some retailers on the verge to just give up.  And this huge power play with HBO - trying to move from competing against all the other premium channels (Showtime, Shudder, IFC, Starz, EPIX, etc., etc.) to making themselves a power player like Disney+ (which to me is just a huge flop and will likely someday subsume back into the licensed channels for distribution).  

NO.  This is AT&T the 3x per month closest competitor cell phone company, lying not caring about consumers, only wanting to grab MORE and MORE and MORE.  Roku isn't going to get hit with anti-Trust anytime soon, but AT&T sure might.

Now AT&T is playing dirty - trying to turn customers away from Roku to buy their own AT&T box (don't do it!  AT&T tech and support is hideous).

HBO Max is cool, but they are only one channel.  I'm not going back to the world I left in cable because they are suckering people into their scam of a power play.  Nope.  I'll watch the other 90% of providers putting their stuff out on Roku, and when HBO decides once and for all to walk away then good riddance... maybe I'll even join a class action for promising Roku on the $11.99 deal and then not delivering.  Their programming just isn't worth the hassle, and bullying other distributors to cut them out of the game is just the sort of tactics that losers like Fox and AT&T play.  Having it all isn't enough for them, they have to take it away from others.  I prefer those who lift up one another.

SHatRO
Level 8

Jump to solution

Pretty clear to me that this is just a big business power play by AT&T trying to bully out one of the newcomers - and to use their market position unfairly to shoulder out the other channels on the distributions.

HBO is on the distributions, but AT&T won't let HBO Max into the same position - they want to "go independent" but give preference to their own cable subscribers and the folks that buy their **bleep** boxes.  Don't fall for it.  HBO Max is denying scores of millions of subscribers and not much chance any one will consider those HBO Max distribution contracts to be marketing investments if they don't have the eyeballs on their goods.  Witness their own subsidiaries pulling distribution of movies because the exclusive deal isn't as fruitful as it appeared at the outset.  These idiots are playing hardball, and consumers buying into the HBO/AT&T hype are just enabling their monopolistic motives and taking us back to the "old days of cable dominance" only in a different trojan horse.

Nope, sticking with Roku for the long haul, they are reliable and convenient and HBO Max is just one channel in a hundred out there.  Not going to let them "buy their way back into the past".  Tough luck, AT&T.

painkiller68
Level 9

Jump to solution

No you don't.  Be patient, it's just coming up on a month since launch.   Yes it's dumb that this all wasn't worked out beforehand but it will happen.  There's a whole lot else besides HBO programming that you can watch on the Roku.  Don't panic.

Jmsherman8
Level 12

Jump to solution

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But the fact is a simple android box can now play hbo max, Disney plus, amazon prime, hulu, and peacock without issue. I already have twom so if ROKU persists, I just wont be updating ROKU boxes any longer. It's that simple. HBO max may only be one channel bit it is a huge channel.

Inkmeal
Level 7

Jump to solution

Well... it was a great free trial. I cancelled HBO Max yesterday though before being charged. Without Roku (for me) it's nothing more than a niche website. It's the first streaming service I ever cancelled. I have Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, Prime... I have no problem paying the sub fees and would have happily paid HBO... but like I said, until they actually release it in full mode and not just a desktop version, it's worthless to me. Also I hated the way they handled episodes. No next episode button or option to watch the next episode without going back to the selection screen. Seems like the whole thing was just poorly rushed together. 

blade_005
Level 14

Jump to solution

@vike wrote:

We should keep in mind that Android TV is a service inside the Google ecosystem that drives revenues in a host of ways and derives value from the broad collection of services it offers.  What you won't see running Android TV are decent-performing 4k HDR streaming boxes for around $30 - those are Rokus and FireTV Sticks.

I also think that anti-trust investigations by the FTC and Congress into both Google and Apple drove an early agreement with AT&T for HBO Max more than AT&T having a reasonable offer for the service. They don't need the PR hit at the moment.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound | Fire TV Stick 4K