Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

@Pooka wrote:

We should all post reviews on Amazon. I would never have purchased a Roku Ultra if I had known it didn't support HBO Max before hand. I would have bought an Apple TV instead.

Thanks for the great suggestion! I just posted three reviews on Amazon and Best Buy to cover the Ultra, Streaming Stick +, and TCL Roku TV I have purchased. 

I do not care about haggling over some deal to carry an app in an app store. I bought my three Rokus because they are hardware devices, and I should be able to access the apps that are developed for the Roku platform, similar to the way I decide which software applications to install and run on my Hewlett Packard desktop computer without the input or interference of HP.

I cut the cord because of this kind of content gatekeeping. This blame game of whether it is AT&T or Roku at fault is nonsense to me. HBO is the content provider. Roku is supposed to be the hardware provider, but has decided not to allow access to the content through its hardware. It is that simple.

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

I agree 100% with your analysis! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Android devices have HBOMax. Look into an Android streaming box. It can run all manner of Android apps through your TV, and some even have game controllers, or use controllers from game consoles.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Here's the huge problem with Android boxes ....

Well wait, let me back up by saying I'm a huge fan of Google, I have Google everything, and I've been actively looking at Android TV for Stadia and smart home integration features and I think it has a ton of potential ...

Having said that, Android TV is currently a **bleep**ing mess.  If you send someone out to buy it chances are they may very well land on a cheap "Android TV" box on Amazon which is just some rando hardware running a hacked version of Android rather than Android TV, and the interface and experience is **bleep**ing awful.  

Even if you manage to land on official Android TV your options are pretty limited.  You're either buying a new TV, an Nvidia Shield (which is too expensive in my opinion), or the Xaomi Mi Box.  The last option is the cheapest but seems to be running a pretty outdated version of Android TV that struggles to run the Hulu app.  Which is a whole separate issue, since it's so poorly developed and supported you really have to dig hard for information on all of it, and the length of time you'll get updates and support is pretty up in the air.

Having said all that I'm VERY interested in Android TV and I'm watching the developments on the new device Google is releasing very closely, but the fact is that the Android TV space is kind of a cluster f at the moment and I could not recommend it to anyone.  Huge potential, but not there.  Maybe this new device Google is releasing will change my mind.  I think it might.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

it looks like roku forgot how they got to be #1. Your job is to provide the tv apps your customers want.  That's how roku gets all them ad dollars. But these fools wait to block #hbomax on #roku while we're locked at home over covid-19. All over greed. I waited 2 weeks for you to hash it out. So bye roku hello cromecast!

Tags (2)
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jump to solution

If you have Youtube TV you can subscribe to HBO Max through that and watch it on your Roku. The interface isn’t great. You have to scroll to the bottom of the Home screen to get to the channel, but it works fine enough until there is a stand alone app for Roku. You have to access your YouTube TV account through the internet and add HBO Max there. It has a 7 day free trial.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

You guys are hilarious... getting rid of Roku devices because one single service isn't available at launch. It's not gonna hurt them, especially if Amazon is without the app (sideload or not).

Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Oh, c'mon folks. Get real! HBO has revenue in the billions, Roku in the millions. If there's an organization here that's resorting to extortion to increase its profits its HBO, not Roku. I think HBO is relying on uninformed folks like those here to pressure Roku to cave in to its demands. But, quite honestly, with everything else out there that is NOT charging 1/3 more than any other service and trying to strong-arm device manufacturers, I can live without HBO Max until HBO gets a little less greedy.

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Anonymous wrote:

If you have Youtube TV you can subscribe to HBO Max through that and watch it on your Roku.

You have confirmed this? You have watched Max content (Friends, The BIg Bang Theory, Harry Potter FIlms, Love Life) on your Roku device through your YouTube TV app? It was my understanding that you can subscribe through YouTube TV for HBO Max, but on a Roku device you can only view the HBO linear TV content. The only way to view Max content of HBO Max is to install the standalone HBO Max app, which is not available on a Roku. You might want to check again on your Roku device and confirm whether you can access any of the Max content or just the HBO content.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

Well, a week ago this wasn't true. You could subscribe to Max through YouTube TV but you still had to use the HBO Max app to access the Max content. You could NOT get that content directly through YouTube TV.