Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Whats happening to Roku with HBO Max

Jump to solution

Literally created a community account to post. I agree with OP. This is making me lose all faith in Roku and I’d rather go with a platform like Apple TV that has everything I pay for. Roku: MAKE THE DEAL!

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I already have a Firestick that I'll be happy to use instead of Roku so I can watch HBO Max. If they don't don't have this sorted out by end of month I'm switching. Firestick is what Roku used to be.

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

I dropped Max. If it doesn't come to Roku before Google releases Sabrina, I'll be switching all over to it, then sign back up to Max. Crazy you can get Now but not Max, must have some idiots in charge! 

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

That's probably what it will come to. I was just giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I'm just not going to subscribe to HBOMax until this is sorted. Roku has deals with pretty much every streaming service, which says to me that their carriage requirements are reasonable. Since HBOMax is holding out on Amazon Fire devices as well, I think the issue is on the part of HBOMax, not Roku. 

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I’m gonna stop paying $15 for hbomax and start paying $15 for hbo. HBOmax account already works in HBO GO but I’m just so mad I’m gonna do something ridiculous instead of just waiting a few weeks for there to be a deal. Grrr

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Philomorph wrote:

I'm considering dumping DirecTV and going to YTTV. You're saying you can subscribe to HBOMax through YTTV and then watch that content on your Roku?

NO. You can not view HBO Max on YouTube TV if you are accessing it on a Roku. You can subscribe to HBO Max from YouTube Channels, but you will only get the HBO NOW linear content delivered if you are on a Roku device. When you subscribe a previous poster shared a note that indicated to view the Max portion of HBO Max you must install the standalone HBO Max app. That is not an option on Roku at this time.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@Brainstorm wrote:

I already have a Firestick that I'll be happy to use instead of Roku so I can watch HBO Max. If they don't don't have this sorted out by end of month I'm switching. Firestick is what Roku used to be.

Really? It's hard for me to imagine any product from Amazon that isn't basically a shill for Amazon content at the expense of everything else. Even my Kindle is like that, and it's just books. 

Maybe I'll have to look into it more. Though with Plex on my PC the Roku 3 still does everything I want and does it well (except HBOMax for now).

Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

@blade_005 wrote:

@Philomorph wrote:

I'm considering dumping DirecTV and going to YTTV. You're saying you can subscribe to HBOMax through YTTV and then watch that content on your Roku?

NO. You can not view HBO Max on YouTube TV if you are accessing it on a Roku. You can subscribe to HBO Max from YouTube Channels, but you will only get the HBO NOW linear content delivered if you are on a Roku device. When you subscribe a previous poster shared a note that indicated to view the Max portion of HBO Max you must install the standalone HBO Max app. That is not an option on Roku at this time.

Lame. But thanks for the clarification. This is exactly why I hate AT&T with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

Highlighted
Level 13

Jump to solution

@Philomorph wrote:

Really? It's hard for me to imagine any product from Amazon that isn't basically a shill for Amazon content at the expense of everything else. Even my Kindle is like that, and it's just books. 

I thought the very same thing. But, the Roku and FOX dust up around the Super Bowl encouraged me to diversify my platform strategy from three (3) TCL Roku TV's only. I purchased three (3) Fire TV 4K Sticks during a couple of sales and plugged them into each TCL Roku TV. The FIRE TV UI is pretty nice and with my subscriptions through Prime Channels (CBS AA, Acorn TV, BritBox, Starz, EPIX, PBS Masterpiece, Mhz Choice) they all get integrated into one unified Fire TV home screen. I can be watching multiple shows from multiple diverse channels and they all stay presented in one easy to access RECENT row. The UI also seems to place as much attention to the channels I subscribe to for recommendation rows and not just pushing Prime content. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy the Fire TV UI experience.

Roku still has it pluses as well, but as we know from this thread, it doesn't hurt to have a platform mitigation strategy in place for these inevitable access restrictions.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K/HDR/DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 ATMOS Soundbar | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | Fire TV Stick 4K
TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p) | Fire TV Stick 4K
YABER Y31 1080p LED Projector | Fire TV Stick 4K
0 Kudos