Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Jill_June
Level 7

Re: What's wrong with YouTube?

Hi,
My YouTube isn’t working and I done just about everything to fix it but is isn’t working. Whenever I go to the app, all the thumbnails are grey. When I click on one it starts loading and never actually loads the video. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, resets my Roku, checked my internet connection, and just about everything else.
Please help
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Basil
Level 10

"Jill June" wrote:
Hi,
My YouTube isn’t working and I done just about everything to fix it but is isn’t working. Whenever I go to the app, all the thumbnails are grey. When I click on one it starts loading and never actually loads the video. I have uninstalled and reinstalled, resets my Roku, checked my internet connection, and just about everything else.
Please help

You've done these steps, but not in the right order ... or at least, you haven't said you did it in this order. So, try this order:

1. Remove the app

2. Reboot the Roku

3. Add the app

If there's any corruption of the data on the Roku in regards to that app, this will resolve that. Any other order of these steps won't accomplish it.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jill_June
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
"Jill June" wrote:
Hi,
Please help

You've done these steps, but not in the right order ... or at least, you haven't said you did it in this order. So, try this order:

1. Remove the app

2. Reboot the Roku

3. Add the app

If there's any corruption of the data on the Roku in regards to that app, this will resolve that. Any other order of these steps won't accomplish it.

Thank you, but unfortunately that didn’t work. Do you have any other suggestions?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Basil
Level 10

"Jill June" wrote:
Thank you, but unfortunately that didn’t work. Do you have any other suggestions?

Actually, no. YouTube is working fine on my Roku Ultra (4660).

What device is yours? Model number may be helpful in addition to the model name. Also, confirm the YouTube app version.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jill_June
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
"Jill June" wrote:

What device is yours? Model number may be helpful in addition to the model name. Also, confirm the YouTube app version.

Mine is a Ultra 4660 also. The YouTube app version is 1.0.70500270
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Basil
Level 10

"Jill June" wrote:
"Basil" wrote:
"Jill June" wrote:

Same app version. I get everything I expect. Thumbnails, videos playing, it's just working. I'm at a loss as to what might be going on with your situation.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jill_June
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
"Jill June" wrote:
"Basil" wrote:
"Jill June" wrote:

Same app version. I get everything I expect. Thumbnails, videos playing, it's just working. I'm at a loss as to what might be going on with your situation.

Hmm... Is there another way to reset the Roku? Maybe I did it the wrong way when I was trying your suggestion or something stupid like that.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Basil
Level 10

"Jill June" wrote:
Hmm... Is there another way to reset the Roku? Maybe I did it the wrong way when I was trying your suggestion or something stupid like that.

The term "reset" is used both to mean a restart, and a Factory Reset. I use the terms "restart" and "reset" to mean different things. Restart is turning it off and on again, or using the Restart option from the Roku menu. Reset is Factory Reset when I say it, but I'll try to explicitly say Factory Reset to avoid confusion.

To be clear, I understood you to say that you performed these steps in this order:

1. Remove the app

2. Reboot the Roku

3. Add the app
And that you still have the issue.

Those steps in that order would remove any data that's on the physical device regarding the app. If some data is corrupt, those steps, in that order, will clean that up. But, I understood you to say you did that.

Now, if you want to perform a Factory Reset, you should find a Reset Button on the bottom of the device. Hold it down for 30 seconds. Not 29 seconds, but 30. Not 29.9 seconds, 30 or longer. That's a way to ensure it's a full Factory Reset.

Not sure that would actually accomplish anything, but  you may be at that point in troubleshooting.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jill_June
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
"Jill June" wrote:

The term "reset" is used both to mean a restart, and a Factory Reset. I use the terms "restart" and "reset" to mean different things. Restart is turning it off and on again, or using the Restart option from the Roku menu. Reset is Factory Reset when I say it, but I'll try to explicitly say Factory Reset to avoid confusion.

To be clear, I understood you to say that you performed these steps in this order:

1. Remove the app

2. Reboot the Roku

3. Add the app
And that you still have the issue.

Those steps in that order would remove any data that's on the physical device regarding the app. If some data is corrupt, those steps, in that order, will clean that up. But, I understood you to say you did that.

Now, if you want to perform a Factory Reset, you should find a Reset Button on the bottom of the device. Hold it down for 30 seconds. Not 29 seconds, but 30. Not 29.9 seconds, 30 or longer. That's a way to ensure it's a full Factory Reset.

Not sure that would actually accomplish anything, but  you may be at that point in troubleshooting.

Thank you, I will try this.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Odinson
Level 7

I sure wish I knew. Youtube is not working on my Onn Roku smart TV either. I get good picture but no sound then when I hit the home button on the remote to exit out it plays sound for a second before going back to the home screen but the sound is crackly and broken and Youtube is the only app on my TV that doesn't work. Youtube worked great until this morning.

0 Kudos