Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bru20
Level 8

What's wrong with YouTube?

YouTube channel seems seriously messed up.  I uninstalled due to getting a blank screen and its still acting weird.  One of the most popular sites and it doesn't work right on Roku?  I know, "it works fine for me" will be the responses.  But it is clear there is a problem with it.  Fix it please.
28 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: What's wrong with YouTube?

First, when you uninstalled it, did you reboot the Roku before you reinstalled it?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

"bru20" wrote:
YouTube channel seems seriously messed up.  I uninstalled due to getting a blank screen and its still acting weird.  One of the most popular sites and it doesn't work right on Roku?  I know, "it works fine for me" will be the responses.  But it is clear there is a problem with it.  Fix it please.

What model of Roku do you own? The YouTube channel is pretty processor intensive. If you're using a Roku that's older than a few years old, that could be your problem.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Boz
Level 8

"bru20" wrote:

If you uninstalled it, how is it "still acting weird"?  You didn't mention reinstalling it...
Also, you need to state what Roku device you're using.  There are many, many models, starting as far back as 2008, so you need to be specific.
0 Kudos
dodge22
Level 7

I too am having massive youtube problems on all 4 of my roku express devices.   icons disappear, youtube thumbnails vanish, descriptions don't appear.  selecting the search icon nets a blank screen but you can hear the sound effects when scrolling around where you'd see the letter pad.  yet no cursor either.  

I took pictures but can't figure out how to post.
0 Kudos
Skmeredith
Level 7

"dodge22" wrote:
I too am having massive youtube problems on all 4 of my roku express devices.   icons disappear, youtube thumbnails vanish, descriptions don't appear.  selecting the search icon nets a blank screen but you can hear the sound effects when scrolling around where you'd see the letter pad.  yet no cursor either.  

I took pictures but can't figure out how to post.

This started happening to me this afternoon as well. Exactly the same issues! I have a Roku Express model 3710x purchased less than 2 years ago.
I have signed out of YouTube and back in, uninstalled and reinstalled the app, etc. nothing works. Haven’t yet tried rebooting before reinstall....will try that next
Very frustrating. It worked fine all the way up until about 11a today EST
0 Kudos
Skmeredith
Level 7

Uninstalling, refreshing system and reinstalling did not work for me. I still get videos with no descriptions, blank spaces where videos should be. No way to select settings etc. As the other user said, I Too cannot post pictures to show what’s happening. I’m very frustrated as this issue happened suddenly today.
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

• Roku Make/Model Number

• Firmware version AND Build Numbers

Both can be found in Settings > System > About
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
Skmeredith
Level 7

"RokuShawnS" wrote:

• Roku Make/Model Number

• Firmware version AND Build Numbers

Both can be found in Settings > System > About

Roku Express+ 3710x
8.0.0 build 4184-28
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

Youtube versions are currently in a state of flux right now, over various platforms. One version that was fine 2 days ago on one platform won't work yesterday but again works fine today. It's not just Roku. The app crashed not only my Xbox One 2 days ago, but actually my AVR as well. Blame Google.

As a side note...my Roku 4210 had a good user interface last week. It then got a crappy UI a few days ago. Today it is back to the identical menu/UI it had last week. Also, before my Xbox One crashed (I refuse to reinstall it back once that happened) it was a different interface than what was on my Xbox 360 (which uses the same crappy one that was on Roku a few days ago)..
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos