Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimbanville
Level 7

What’s with stupid “in-video links” taking over the image??

For the last week or so I’m getting this stupid “in-video” links popping up during video which ruin the video I’m watching. I don’t see a way to turn them off. I’m on the latest roku stick. Please help!
0 Kudos
9 Replies
atc98092
Level 15

Re: What’s with stupid “in-video links” taking over the image??

I'm assuming you are referring to YouTube. From what I gather, it's a way for links that appear on a video when watching on a web browser to work in a streaming player like Roku. I've recently seen them as well, but they only appear at the very end of the video, when there's usually nothing to watch. If you're seeing them at other times, (and if my assumption of it being YouTube is right), then you need to complain to Google, not Roku. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jimbanville
Level 7

YouTube. Yes. Sorry. For example I was watching a short 1:27 video and the boxes with in-video links come up at 1:08. That is ridiculous. Lots of videos on YouTube are “raw” and have content right up to the end. This new “feature” is ruining YouTube on roku. Guess I’ll go back to my Apple TV.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

I don't know if this is something that Google pushed, or if the content provider has some sort of control over if/when they appear. But I agree that with such a short video the overlay can really get in the way.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

Content providers are now given the option to add a live link to the video. Google/YouTube do not place them there.
0 Kudos
8traxrule
Level 7

The YouTube app on my LG TV started doing this recently, though it never shows annotations nor the annoying "watermarks" that some users put on (those can be turned off on a browser by turning off Annotations). I would say comment to the uploaders about the links showing up; I've uploaded hundreds of clips and I've never had them appear on any of my videos as I keep them as annoyance-free as possible.
0 Kudos
reddice
Level 7

"jimbanville" wrote:
YouTube. Yes. Sorry. For example I was watching a short 1:27 video and the boxes with in-video links come up at 1:08. That is ridiculous. Lots of videos on YouTube are “raw” and have content right up to the end. This new “feature” is ruining YouTube on roku. Guess I’ll go back to my Apple TV.

Same here.  It comes up early and blocks even there faces.  Try to watch cordcuttesnews.com videos on YouTube are annoying.  On my computer I used uBlock filters to hide it but on my Roku, PS4, Fire TV boxes and sticks it comes up and it is annoying.  Not even a button to dismiss it at all.  I now watch YouTube on my Apple TV.

Oh and I have Red which I am dropping too.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
0 Kudos
bdpopeye
Level 8

I'm not having this issue on any of my devices. I hope it stays that way.
0 Kudos
empirefalls
Level 7

One truism i learned in over 5 decades of living: 'All Good things come to an end' 

You Tube was a great invention. Very likable for years. 
In increments over the past years,  ya just getting to hate it more and more.  
Pay $10 a month for Youtube will make You Tube much easier to watch, but eventually that $10- will be $15ish a month. Couple more ads.etc
I expect You tube to become more aggravating than one can imagine. 
0 Kudos
empirefalls
Level 7

I just watched a You Tube 11 minute 32 second Video, Had 5 ads plus 1 ad at the beginning.  

11:32 Video
6 ads:
1 ad was 12 seconds that i could not shut off
the other 5 were ads that i could click off after 5 seconds of playing.....i estimate if i did not click that off, it would be about 5 minutes of ads...for a 11 and 32 second video
So for a 11 minute and 32 second video, as much as 6 minutes of ads
0 Kudos