Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the difference between great courses and great courses plus?

Jump to solution

On one of my Rokus there is a channel subscription for a Great Courses and on another Roku it only gives a Great Course Plus courses channel.   The latter's subscription is approximately twice more expensive than the former ($20/month vs. $7.99/month) so, hopefully, there must be some benefits/cons to purchase one subscription over the other, but the descriptions provided do not make those pros/cons, if any, evident to potential customers.  Any help/suggestions on this matter?   Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: What is the difference between great courses and great courses plus?

Jump to solution

@CubanCongaMan 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
boogernose
Level 12

Jump to solution

Does seem screwy. There are two Channels.

Maybe you should take a course on that.    hahahahahahahahahahaha.....my gosh Im funny.

Roku Ultra ---Ethernet rules---
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@CubanCongaMan 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about that channel's features and functionality, you'll want to contact the channel provider support directly to inquire further. Many channels on Roku are developed and maintained by the channel provider themselves. 

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you, Danny!!!  The Great Courses and the Great Courses Apps are actually for two distinct services, subscriptions.  Consequently, subscribing to one does not allow to log into the other or even to share courses one has already purchased on one the standard version (individually sold courses) to the other one.  As one can easily figure out, the "plus" version is the latest and their site claims that it has "thousands" of additional courses available for the premium price rather than having to purchase courses one by one on the standard version.  I've subscribed to Great Course Plus while online and I'm already enjoying some of the courses.  Nevertheless, when I tried to log into my Roku's app for the Great Courses Plus, it did not readily accept my online subscription login and I'm concerns that Roku might try to double charge me for my subscription.  Who knows?  

Cheers,

Roberto

By the way, for more info: Here is what the Great Courses Plus FAQ has to say about the differences:

What is the difference between The Great Courses and The Great Courses Plus?

The Great Courses Plus and The Great Courses are both owned by The Teaching Company. The Great Courses Plus is a subscription video on demand streaming service that features many of the same courses available for individual sale from The Great Courses. The Great Courses will continue to create and sell video and audio downloads, DVDs and CDs, as well as provide free streaming for purchased courses. The Great Courses Plus will not replace The Great Courses.

0 Kudos