Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SausMan
Level 7

What is going on with the Google TV App

Jump to solution

Hey, I just got my Roku Stick and love most things about it.  When deciding to cut the cord, I did my research and decided to go with the Roku (a big factor was the neutral search results). 

Now, I am finding out that in May, Roku and Google had some sort of falling out. I have no way to get information on this and whether or not it is being worked out.

Can someone just tell me if Google and Roku are trying to work it out? Or are both sides digging their hooves in the sand?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: What is going on with the Youtube TV App

Jump to solution

Yes - they are trying to work it out.

An extra step and without voice features is at worst a slight annoyance and certainly not exclusionary.

FYI, Roku and Charter resolved their Spectrum TV dispute as of today, and the Spectrum TV app is available to all users again.

All of Roku's past carriage disputes has resulted in a carriage resolution, and that cant happen without continued negotiation, being "dug in" during the process or not.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6\
StreamerUser
Level 20

Re: What is going on with the Google TV App

Jump to solution

Yes and Yes.

There is no "Google TV" app - there are YouTube and YouTube TV apps.

The Google Play Movies & TV app was deprecated and its content/functionality moved to the YouTube app.

If you cant download the YTTV app, you can access YTTV through the YT app:  Open YT, select "YouTube TV" in the lower left corner of the UI.

0 Kudos
SausMan
Level 7

Jump to solution

Ah - yes. I meant "Youtube TV app." That said, the problem with accessing it through the Youtube app is that none of the voice features (and other search type features) seem to work. It is also an extra step.

What I would really like to know is - are the companies trying to work it out?  I need to decide what hardware and which streaming service to use - this current arrangement isn't going to cut it. 

Does anyone know if this is a permanent arrangement? 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Negotiations of this sort are usually carried on behind closed doors.

Anybody here that might know what's going on, if there even is anyone, will be bound by non-disclosure agreements and won't be able to tell us anyway.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking " Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
SausMan
Level 7

Jump to solution

Certainly understand that, but it seems like someone could just say, 'they are trying to work it out.' Not sure that would/should fall under an NDA.  Was just researching some of the 'publicized' sticking points and I honestly don't see anything in the requests on either side that is unreasonable. Seems like some individual must be taking it personally - just sayin'.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 20

Jump to solution

Yes - they are trying to work it out.

An extra step and without voice features is at worst a slight annoyance and certainly not exclusionary.

FYI, Roku and Charter resolved their Spectrum TV dispute as of today, and the Spectrum TV app is available to all users again.

All of Roku's past carriage disputes has resulted in a carriage resolution, and that cant happen without continued negotiation, being "dug in" during the process or not.

SausMan
Level 7

Jump to solution

Good to hear. Thanks for the feedback. I think it would benefit both companies to let it be known that negotiations are taking place.

0 Kudos