Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pompey
Level 7

What happened to the official NASA Television channel?

All you get now for the two feeds is a splash add for InstantTVChannel.com. 
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill
0 Kudos
6 Replies
andyross
Level 10

Re: What happened to the official NASA Television channel?

NASA has never had it's own official Roku channel. It's always been some sort of third-party offering access, usually after showing some ads to make money. I just found a "Joe Screwdriver's NASA Channel". Right now, it has a note saying NASA made some changes on January 4, and he is working on a fix and will update soon, along with instructions to add an uncertified version if you want something now.
0 Kudos
Pompey
Level 7

NASA Television was the "certified" public channel, available in the channel store for a while now.  The developer is listed as CMG (don't know who that is). It showed the two NASA streams with no commercial breaks.  It now just splashes information on InstantTVChannel.com, which is a channel developer toolkit site.
Joe Screwdriver's NASA Channel WAS a private, "non-certified" channel that one could find at places like StreamFreeTV.  Heck, I installed it just recently, as a private channel, as a backup to the public channel.  It has commercials.
Strangely, it just showed up in the channel store; thus is now public and "certified."  It is listed as version 1.0, version date is listed as January 4, 2018, and the developer is listed as InstantTVChannel.  It is all so confusing. With that said, at least I have a stream to watch, albeit with commercials.
Of course, I know that NASA has been available on Pluto TV; but I like having NASA available in my home grid, without the need to go from a grid, to another grid, to watch.  And I have found Pluto TV to be wonky at times. Of course, Youtube has the two streams as well.
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill
0 Kudos
OddScott
Level 7

There are no commercials in "Joe Screwdriver's NASA Channel". It's all NASA, no ads. Smiley Happy

Last week there was a 30-second placeholder ad (a Roku-provided ad for Roku devices) that ran before the NASA streams. The ad was present in the uncertified/private version of the channel in order for Roku to test & certify the channel, but was removed after certification.

CMG is a developer that uses Instant TV Channel to build their Roku channels. When they decided to discontinue their "NASA Television" channel the video streams were replaced with ads. Ideally CMG should remove the channel from the Channel Store, it's not something that Instant TV Channel can do for them.
www.InstantTvChannel.com - Build a Roku channel in 5 minutes!
0 Kudos
bwalls
Level 7

Anyone know how to get in touch with CMG?
0 Kudos
nocable
Level 7

Today, I tried 3 times to access the Roku "NASA TV" Channel (Version 1.0 Build 2), and each time that sent my Roku stick into a restart. I have deleted that NASA TV channel.

I watched a "The State of NASA" video on Pluto TV and the resolution was poor.

But the same video, which was posted to YouTube 6 days ago, was clear on YouTube.
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Ultra & 3600
SPECTRUM - 100/10 Mbps

Favorite Roku Channels:
WEATHER4US
PLUTO TV
YOU TUBE
PLUTO TV
0 Kudos
andyross
Level 10

As mentioned, have you tried "Joe Screwdriver's NASA Channel"? It's just links to the main public feed, and an educational feed.
0 Kudos