Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WickedGirl
Level 8

Weather4US - how to delete channel

The Weather4US channel had some updates made to it in the last few months. The ability to change themes is gone, and there is no way to remove the channel (so I can reinstall it). Every other app allows you to pre the * key and select "remove channel" but not Weather4US. Going to there website provides no assistance. You have to input a zip code to get out of the selection screen for location, and when you do, there is no support anywhere and no weather shown either. How do I delete this channel from my Roku?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Weather4US - how to delete channel

Hi @WickedGirl,

Thanks for reaching out regarding the issue you are experiencing.

If you are unable to remove the channel by pressing *, we suggest checking if the channel has an active subscription, and whether that subscription is billed to your Roku account. You may manage the subscription at my.roku.com

We would also recommend taking a look at our Support page for more information regarding how to remove the channel: How do I remove channels from my Roku® streaming device?

Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
WickedGirl
Level 8

Hi Mary!

Yes, I had done all of your suggestions prior to posting. The subscription is active, as I want it to be. None of the support information addresses how to remove a channel if the option to do so is missing after pressing the * key. I have just gone through the process of completely resetting the Roku. As soon as I signed back in, all the channels were reloaded, and of course, I still cannot delete the Weather4US channel. The next step would be to deregister and then reset the Roku again, but I am done for the day. The app developer should not have removed the ability to delete the app in the first place (it used to be there). And, Roku should smack devs who remove this on the hand in some way.

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Developers have nothing to do with it.  Roku's OS won't let you remove a channel if you have an active subscription.  If a factory reset didn't solve your problem it's unlikely that removing the channel would have made any difference.

0 Kudos
WickedGirl
Level 8

So let me get this straight....just because I have an active subscription, I can not delete one of the channels if I am having problems with it. What a crock of poo! Of course that may make a difference. It is the first line of trouble shooting for many devices and their apps, and it almost always fixes problems. So, the Roku devs are behind this, not the Weather4US devs. Thank you for letting me know. I now know who to think of as village idiots. Poorly written interfaces and software can be considered such based on one idiotic feature. For Roku, here it is. Deleting the app is not going to delete the subscription from the account. So..............Roku?

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

If it's not working for you anyway, why not try canceling your subscription via your Roku account at my.roku.com?  Your subscription usage should then continue until it expires naturally, it just won't auto-renew. 

Now we move on to speculation on my part, as I've never subscribed to anything through Roku.

When Roku no longer shows you as having an active subcription (I don't know if this happens immediately or only when the pre-paid period runs out), you should then be able to remove and reinstall the channel.  If the subscription period is still in force, I suspect the channel would then give you the option of connecting it back to your pre-paid subscription period.  That would at least tell you whether the reinstall helps anything.  When your subscription period runs out, if you still wanted it you could re-subscribe.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
WickedGirl
Level 8

makaiguy, those are all great suggestions, and all things I have thought about doing. I appreciate you taking the time to post them though. My thought is this, however. This process should not be that convoluted. If I want to remove an app from my Roku, subscribed or otherwise, I should be able to do it. This is like being forced to have apps on Android or iPhone devices that we do not want or need. In this case, I actually chose to use this app, so I should be able to choose not to have it on my Roku. I fully intend to reinstall it, but not being able to remove it when I choose, regardless of subscription status, just makes no sense. I have no problem removing Acorn, Britbox, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Apple TV, STARZ, PBS, HBO Max, Disney+, and on and on. I am subscribed to all of them, and as professional companies, they understand that removing the channels/apps sometimes may be needed. None of them have blocked/removed the ability to remove and reinstall their channel/app. So, what gives with Weather4US? And again, this option WAS available previously. So why is it gone now? I am hoping that by bringing this up, their coders, if still around, will realize an update removed this, that it is an "oopsy", and that it will be returned, as it should be. Thanks again for taking the time to make all those suggestions!

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Just a guess on my part, but Roku probably got tired of hearing from people, "I removed that channel, why am I still being charged?", so they won't let you remove a channel with an active subscription.  If removing a channel also cancelled the subscription, then there would be other people asking, "why?".  There's really no way to make everyone happy.