Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
benny23553
Level 7

Watching BBC1 live - how?

I'm new to Roku and trying to work out the best way to watch BBC1 (and other UK terrestrial channels live)  via Roku. Some of the catch ups have that capability but not all eg  BBC iplayer does not seem to have that option
0 Kudos
4 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Watching BBC1 live - how?

Roku players are not designed for over the air TV watching. There are some hardware boxes that receive OTA, and then offer it through a channel on the Roku. I have no idea if there's one that supports UK broadcasts. In the past there were channels that had many of the BBC stations as a feed, but they were doing it illegally and Roku shut them down.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
2pints
Level 7

BBC Iplayer does have the option to stream liv, just go to Channels, slect the Channel ( ie BBC 1) and when a programme being broadcast you will have the option to Watch form the start, or to Watch live
0 Kudos
AndyCalling
Level 7

The 'tvplayer' channel is what you're looking for. You can pay for some premium channels, but all the expected BBC and ad supported channels are present without charge.
0 Kudos
mwdxer1
Level 7

I think there is a paid service by FilmOn(?) that a person can sub to UK streaming channels. I have not checked it out. At times BBC & ITV have been free on the Roku, but since they are not licensed in North America, there is some question on the legality. FilmOn may pay the UK fees to sell the channels in the U.S. This I have no idea. But if you Google, you will find there the UK channels can be purchased. I do not know if they could be received on the Roku or just streaming on a laptop.
0 Kudos