Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Basil
Level 10

Re: Watchespn on Roku

"airbagabe" wrote:
I am having the same issue. I am a Charter Spectrum customer with ESPN, but I cannot authenticate the app; or, more accurately, it won't let me enter my credentials. It automatically logs in without allowing me to enter them, then says "this channel isn't included in your package," or something along those lines. This has been the case for I would estimate to be over a year. I keep trying it hoping it will work, but it doesn't look like they've made any progress. I've contacted both Charter and ESPN, and they both claim it's a known issue. Again, it's been a very long time.

Gotta ask one question: are there any other ABC/Disney family of apps on the device? And if so, are any of them logged in via another provider? I ask because Roku has a form of of single sign-on, and apps from the same family of companies (ABC, Disney, Freeform, ESPN, etc) could automatically try to log in if another related app is logged in.

It might be worth attempting to sign out of and then removing all of those related apps, then rebooting the Roku to clean off any stray data, then installing one of them, say the ESPN app. It may even be doing this to all the Roku devices; that is, sign out and remove all the apps on each of the devices, then after that's done for all of them, remove power from them all, and only then plug them all back in and let them boot.

Ensure you have all the ABC/Disney family of apps. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney–ABC_Television_Group

There's no guarantee this will work, or is even required, but it's a nuclear option that might be necessary if no other steps locate the cause.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos

Same issues. I have Spectrum. When authenticating on espn app on Roku, it never prompts you to enter your Spectrum user ID/password, it just immediately says “success...your account have been activated.” However you cannot watch ANYTHING on the espn app on roku. Get a message that says “it’s not included in your subscription package.” However, the espn app works fine on my iPhone....it prompted me to actually enter my Spectrum ID/password. This has been broken for months! I tried, removing the app, restating roku, adding espn app back & reauthenticating ...still didn’t work.
0 Kudos
Bill_Buckner
Level 7

0 Kudos
Iamsnowbear
Level 7

I found the working solution for this issue, It's a work around until they properly fix this.

1- Logout of ESPN app 
2 - Set up mobile hotspot wifi using your mobile phone.
3- connect roku to hotspot wifi
4- Login as you normally would, test video playback. It should load now.
5 - Once video loads you can disconnect from wifi hotspot and switch it back to your normal wifi.
6 - Enjoy your sports!
0 Kudos
Rcameron24
Level 7

I just tried this solution and it worked. So does that mean my internet provider is blocking me. I turned off my internet on my phone and used just 4g for my hotspot.
0 Kudos
whsstatman11
Level 7

Iamsnowbear nailed it. I logged out of the ESPN app, disconnected my Roku from my Spectrum internet and connected it to my iPad hotspot. I then logged back in and it now works. And it still works after I disconnected from the iPad hotspot and reconnected to Spectrum. This has been driving me absolutely nuts! Thansk Iamsnowbear!
0 Kudos
Jakeb
Level 7

Oh my gosh! This worked! This has been a problem for MONTHS with all of the Disney affiliated apps I have. I’m on Spectrum and have been getting the same error. But I connected to my cell phone’s mobile hotspot and signed in and it worked! I was even seeing this issue on my daughter’s iPad and the DisneyNOW app and this trick worked there as well!

Thank you Iamsnowbear!!! I don’t know what possessed you to try this but I’m glad you did!
0 Kudos