Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lougrinzo
Level 7

Re: Watchespn on Roku

I just discovered that I have the same problem as others here.  Thanks for the information in this thread and helping me keep my sanity.

I wondered if this were some kind of sleazy change in ESPN policy linked to their rolling out of ESPN+ (their net-only subscription thing), even though that's supposed to be a completely different content base.  I'm glad it's not that, but who knows how long we'll have to wait for them to fix this mess.

By the way -- on one of my many tries to get something to stream, when I was supposed to get the "this isn't in your subscription package" message, that part of the screen simply said "null".  That's not just broken; it's a special kind of broken when you're trying to display null strings to the end user.  Ouch.
0 Kudos
Iamsnowbear
Level 7

It’s still broken for me and it’s june 27th

When is ROKU going to fix this?!?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"Iamsnowbear" wrote:
It’s still broken for me and it’s june 27th

When is ROKU going to fix this?!?

ESPN works on my Roku. That makes it seem as if your cable/satellite/streaming service provider might not be properly authorizing the app.

Who is your ESPN service provider?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
thaKing
Level 7

Well, for me it is Spectrum, and it's an issue between Spectrum and Disney. See comment above.
0 Kudos
Iamsnowbear
Level 7

Yes as mentioned in previous posts by other people it seems to be a issue for Spectrum customers. Someone called spectrum and they could not figure it out. It works on ipads but ps4/roku is a no go.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

Spectrum would need to fix it.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

ESPN is slowly phasing out the WatchESPN branding in favor of the new ESPN app, which includes the ESPN+ standalone service. If memory serves me, the day they launched ESPN+ ESPN pushed a software update that replaced the WatchESPN branded app with the newer version on streaming devices where the newer ESPN app is available including Roku devices. The exception I assume would be for devices that are more than a few years old, which content providers like Hulu for example have announced that they are gradually ending support for.

Depending on your device, it could explain the Dependingou're having with regard to ESPN. If you still have the WatchESPN branded app and not the newer ESPN app, I would check and make sure you have the latest software and if that doesn't solve the issue, reach out to Roku to see if you need a newer device to access the newer app.

I use several streaming devices depending on what I need to do. I am a sports writer who covers Boxing so access to the newer ESPN app and ESPN+ is a requirement for me. When I first purchased a Roku device several years ago, a Roku LT, which is now discontinued, I thought I would make it between 5-6 years before upgrading would become a necessity, but as I became more and more familiar with streaming technology, I learned that basically a good timeframe to think of upgrading is between 3-4 years depending on what's available and what you might need access to. It can be a bit annoying because you might upgrade to something that you think is top of the line as far as what's available, but you might find out that you're a generation or two behind, but that is a consequence of advancing technology. Roku tends to be more reliable as compared to other devices on the market, but it's still wise to keep an eye on what's being released on a regular basis.

In regard to sports services the international DAZN digital network is launching here in the states soon, which is already in major negotiations for broadcast rights so ESPN will have some competition. What I'm really interested in being someone who covers Boxing is DAZN is said to be intent on replacing the traditional PPV model for major cards, which ESPN has really started so hopefully, Roku will be on their devices list when they launch. Form what I understand, their supposed to launch around September here in the states with a similar price point offering both a monthly or annual subscription plan as ESPN offers with ESPN+ so at minimum it will be affordable for consumers. $50 a year for ESPN+ for me is more cost-effective than a monthly plan so if DAZN offers an annual plan I will probably go that route.
0 Kudos
thaKing
Level 7

Thanks for the detailed response. I'm not saying the Roku device isn't an issue, but I tried on the latest firestick and on various PCs and browsers. It doesn't take me to the spectrum login. It's a communication issue between the two companies.
0 Kudos
bvd1022
Level 9

"thaKing" wrote:
Thanks for the detailed response. I'm not saying the Roku device isn't an issue, but I tried on the latest firestick and on various PCs and browsers. It doesn't take me to the spectrum login. It's a communication issue between the two companies.

It happens sometimes with ISP providers. I know that I've had to call mine a few times to get upgraded equipment because someone apps wouldn't run well on devices Roku's YouTube channel was particularly guilty of this, but an upgrade in equipment solved that problem. What got under my skin about it was the repair tech came out and told my family and I that we were using in his words"Obsolete" equipment. I told him seeing as it came from said ISP provider that they should inform customers when they are moving to a different line of equipment not only as a courtesy to paying customers, but to hopefully avoid issues such as what we were dealing with at the time. All the guy could do was give me a blank stare.

I would call your ISP and stay on them if they don't resolve the issue. Sometimes the only recourse a person has is to be persistent. I haven't had Spectrum for my TV service, but I did have a company that used ro be a part of time warner before they merged and created spectrum many years ago. I wasn't satisfied with their TV service and in fact had problems so often that I gor to know their repair guys on first name basis. I decided to go to DorecTV going on seventeen years ago and hasn't had many TV related issues since, but as far as ISP, Spectrum is quite reliable.

Good luck getting it resolved. Remember be persistent.
0 Kudos
maresaa
Level 7

I use Dish network (and also have used a friends Direct TV) and still get these same problems (reached capacity and boots me after about 7 mins of streaming)  So I do not think this is a Spectrum specific issue. 
0 Kudos