Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: WatchESPN app and 60fps on Roku 3

Same problem here. Roku streaming stick +. When I cast the watchespn app onto my chromecast it is perfect. Using the Roku is so jerky and choppy that it gives me a headache and is completely unwatchable. This happens 75% of the time on both live TV and reairs. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Same problem with Roku Ultra (but not Roku TV)

I have a TCL Roku TV (wireless-5G) and a Roku Ultra (wired & version 9.0.0, build 4142-46), both are 4K at 60Hz and both are from the same router.
The Roku Ultra is used for house distribution and is also viewed on the TCL Roku TV.

Netflix, Amazon Prime & other channels have identical picture quality on both Roku devices.
The exception is WatchESPN where on the Roku Ultra the video on fast action (e.g. Formula 1 racing) is so choppy that it gives you a headache watching it.
The picture is much smoother on the TCL Roku TV.

My conclusion is that the WatchESPN app does not work correctly on the Roku Ultra.

I have informed Roku but emails to ESPN "Customer Support" are returned as "Undelivered - Connection timed out"
From the experience of previous posters, I don't expect to get anywhere!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Same problem, but just with NBA live games on ESPN on Roku ESPN app, they are jerky, skip frames. Used to stream fine. Live sports on ESPN2 and ESPN3 still stream fine.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

Thanks for sharing your experiences here. I've passed along the feedback to our team to share with the channel provider so they can take a closer look. 

If you're running into this issue, please reach out to ESPN support directly to share your experience and request any additional support they may be able to offer. 

I'll be sure to keep you posted if I hear any further updates on this. Stay tuned! 

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Issues with ESPN App as well.  A little over a week ago, started having frame skipping/stuttering on live feeds only...espn, espn3, espn3, sec, sec+, etc...  All replays work fine.  All espn, sec, etc... live feeds work fine over other apps like youtube tv.  I also have two identical hdmi stick+ setups and the problem is identical on both.  Have 1Gbps service and get ~200Mbps wireless at both TVs.  Additionally, even if I change the Roku display setting to 720p, it doesn't help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

Glad to see it's not just me. Over the past few weeks I have had choppy video on the ESPN app on all my Roku Ultras. Have had to switch to my Chromecast v3 for any ESPN stuff -- it works fine, but I prefer using the Roku.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I may start another thread. I know many people having problems with their ROKU and the ESPN app.  For me most programs on SEC+ look jerky, with skipping/dropping frames.

It looks as if it is doing a bad conversion from 24 to 60. 

We have tried everything, nothing works.  Firmware 9.0.0.

Please fix this, it is a new issue. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 19

The channel provider (EPSN) and our team are currently investigating this issue. Please continue to contact ESPN support to share your experience if you're running into this behavior. 

I'll continue to provide any updates as we know more. 

Thanks,
Tanner
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I’ve been having the same issues recently (few weeks).
In the beginning, I noticed that it would stutter for several seconds and then be smooth again. However, all streams and replays seem to stutter now.
I also noticed that the stuttering only starts once the quality of the stream gets to the highest definition.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"idavidtsee" wrote:
I’ve been having the same issues recently (few weeks).
In the beginning, I noticed that it would stutter for several seconds and then be smooth again. However, all streams and replays seem to stutter now.
I also noticed that the stuttering only starts once the quality of the stream gets to the highest definition.

Exactly.  the stream starts out smooth while it is at lower resolution, then once it locks in at highest quality the stuttering starts. 
It acts as if the Framerate is wrong, I tried adjusting framerate with no improvement. Also tried adjusting resolution, no improvement.
Interestingly enough commercials are perfect, the game you want to watch is almost unwatchable. I'm sure it is a widespread issue, folks just think it is only them.
0 Kudos