Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: WatchESPN app and 60fps on Roku 3

[comment removed]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Fwiw, i'm switching between games on WatchESPN right now (espn, espnu, sec) and they're all working fine, no choppiness, I'm on Time Warner with a Roku 3 4200X. Do you have Windows 8 or 10 and if so have you tried the WatchESPN app on it? If there's no choppiness there, maybe you can hook up your comp to your tv and watch that way.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

"tonisama" wrote:
Interesting.  Watching other college football games, it appears that they've reverted back to 30fps.

Not sure what's going on here.

I'm seeing it as well. It looked good for a few days and now its choppy again.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Who can we contact to remedy this situation?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

"richeydog" wrote:
Who can we contact to remedy this situation?

Contact ESPN. It is their app. Roku can do very little to help.

Just as another data point. I am not a particularly demanding viewer but I notice no problems viewing content on WatchESPN. For me it looks and streams fine and no worse than any other device I have streamed it on and better than some.

I will say that recorded content played via the Playstation Vue channel looks a little better but I think that is due to the source starting at a higher resolution. I do not see any choppiness on either channel.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I've used the WatchESPN app on a roku 4, roku ultra, fire tv 4k, and apple tv 4.  The apple tv 4 is the only device that consistently gets a "smooth" picture for me and I assume that's the difference between 30fps and 60fps.  I have seen similarly smooth video once with my roku ultra on an NFL game.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Watching the Jets/Lions game tonight and it is chop city. Funny thing is, all the commercials are perfectly smooth, so it’s only the game feed that is horribly choppy with an unacceptable frame rate. This tells me it’s not the ESPN Roku channel itself, but rather the way they are transcoding/interfacing with the channel from the cameras on the field.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Yet, remarkably, in the fourth quarter with the game now a complete blowout, playback is totally normal and seems like 60 fps. Could this be because everyone else has quit watching and gone to bed? I wonder.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I'm having the same choppiness issues with ESPN...been through Roku support and ESPN support without a resolution. ESPN app plays fine on my PS4, and every other app plays fine on my Roku....so I'm sure the problem is specifically limited to the ESPN app on Roku. I hope it gets resolved soon.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I am having the same issue what gives? It used to work fine when I had dish network as provider.

Now with direct ....it’d crap... choppy
0 Kudos