Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tonisama
Level 7

WatchESPN app and 60fps on Roku 3

I've had my Roku 3 for a few years now and the WatchESPN app has always been a choppy, blurry experience.  My conclusion is that limitations in the app itself limit the number of frames per second to something around 30.  

I've asked ESPN about this a couple times and they give me the usual yada yada about restarting my device and upgrading to something faster than a 1Gbps connection :\

Apps like Netflix and Youtube clearly output at 60fps, so I know the Roku 3 is capable of it.

Is there any way to force the app to output at 60fps?  Anyone not know what I'm talking about?  I was actually surprised to find that there is virtually no discussion on the Roku forums or Reddit on this subject.
0 Kudos
38 Replies
GEORGIA_DAWG
Level 7

Re: WatchESPN app and 60fps on Roku 3

Is your Roku 3 connected wirelessly? If so, maybe that is causing you problems. I am looking at getting a Roku 2 mainly for the WatchESPN and Youtube apps, don't want to waste my money if there are issues with these apps.
GO DAWGS!
0 Kudos
richeydog
Level 7

I've always noticed a choppy viewing experience with the WatchESPN app. Like it's slightly skipping frames or something. When I watch the same channel on Dish Network it is more fluid. I don't know what causes this behavior but it bothers me as well. I had a free trial of SlingTv once, the ESPN channels were nice and smooth, just like my Dish Network channels.

The sports ticker at the bottom is an easy way to see the apparent choppiness with watchespn. With slingtv(and dish) it is always smooth.
0 Kudos
GEORGIA_DAWG
Level 7

"richeydog" wrote:
I've always noticed a choppy viewing experience with the WatchESPN app. Like it's slightly skipping frames or something. When I watch the same channel on Dish Network it is more fluid. I don't know what causes this behavior but it bothers me as well. I had a free trial of SlingTv once, the ESPN channels were nice and smooth, just like my Dish Network channels.

The sports ticker at the bottom is an easy way to see the apparent choppiness with watchespn. With slingtv(and dish) it is always smooth.

I've seen other comments about this as well, but never had anyone mention the possibility of it being their internet. Could it be your internet speed causing the issue? 
GO DAWGS!
0 Kudos
tonisama
Level 7

Nope, I'm on a 1 Gbps, with an ethernet cable. 

Internet issues would manifest as buffering a reduction in screen resolution, not constant choppiness.  This is clearly not an internet speed issue.  And as mentioned, other apps do not have this issue.

Go Jackets Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
richeydog
Level 7

"GEORGIA DAWG" wrote:

I've seen other comments about this as well, but never had anyone mention the possibility of it being their internet. Could it be your internet speed causing the issue?

I don't know if you were speaking to the OP or me, but I'll answer anyway. Smiley Happy For me, I have a consistant 90/6 speed and my roku is hardwired. I think it has something to do with WatchESPN. It's not getting enough bits or something. Can't explain but I can see it. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
GEORGIA_DAWG
Level 7

Thanks you two. May end up passing on the Roku because of this.
GO DAWGS!
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

Has nothing to do with Roku or your connection, the stream is the same for all devices I've used it on.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

I remember the choppiness on ESPN, especially noticeable on the scroll at the bottom as richeydog pointed out, i say remember because somewhere along the way the choppiness stopped, i wish i could say when but i don't remember, it's been long enough that i forgot about it until i saw this post, but ESPN works fine now on the TWC app and the WatchESPN app on both my Roku 1 and 3 fwiw, of course i've probably just jinxed myself.
0 Kudos
tonisama
Level 7

I'm watching the Hawaii / Cal game now and EUREKA! 60fps is now coming through on both Roku and my Android phone.  This is without updating either of the apps, so I'm guessing that up until recently, there was some preprocessing or bandwidth control being done on ESPN's side to limit video feeds to 30fps on streaming devices.

Wish ESPN could've just admitted that they weren't outputting at 60fps instead of blaming it on my net speed :\
0 Kudos