Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
petrocity
Level 7

WatchESPN Quality

I have prefect streaming quality in all of my services except for ESPN. It rarely status on HD and even buffers from time to time. My speed is a solid 15 down, anyone have an idea?
0 Kudos
24 Replies
thetick
Level 8

Re: WatchESPN Quality

Yep you have a slow connection to the ESPN/ABC servers. Not sure if you understand but the 15Mb connection you are paying for is only guaranteed to your ISP. Any slow connection in the loop to your destination could drastically impact your speed.

Watch-ESPN and ABC/Disney family of channels are definitely some of my best channels that I never ever had pauses or degraded quality..always in sharp HD. Crackle would have reload issues and would caught in continuous ad loops so it's gone on my Roku. Netflix is a complete disaster and can't even be watched with my ISP and I have a 50Mb internet connection. The Netflix/Verizon issues are well documented with a few Google searches. No other channels give me problems.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS
0 Kudos
Buckeye911
Level 7

I pay for 20mbps down and rarely even get 15 but I get stellar HD streams across all apps that offer HD. I've always experienced excellent picture quality with the WatchESPN app. My only problem has been an occasional frame rate issue.
0 Kudos
petrocity
Level 7

That's too bad. As I said, all of my other apps work great, I futzed around with DNS servers and other things but have not found a solution. Maybe I'll my isp and see what they say...
0 Kudos
petrocity
Level 7

So a little more testing, and it seems to do really well for about the first 5 minutes in hd but then it just can't keep it. Cache issue?
0 Kudos
thetick
Level 8

Nope not a caching issue( not sure what you mean by that) but a lack of bandwidth issue.
TheTick
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS
0 Kudos
ehren88888
Level 7

On the IPad app I have had so many issues with the video dropping during bowl games. I was using a 4G LTE hotspot which always had 15mbps locked. Something is up with ESPN's servers which have sucked keeping up with all the traffic. My NHL Gamecenter wasn't acting up. Ever since the new interface the bugs have been a nuisance.
Roku streaming stick 3600R
115meg down cable Internet 10mb up Spectrum internet
Southern Wisconsin
PHILLIES PHANATIC!!!
0 Kudos
thetick
Level 8

As I stated before it is likely there is slow path from your ISP to ESPN servers. NHL Games day would be a completely different path (could be some overlap) from your ISP to NHL servers.
TheTick
Verizon FIOS
0 Kudos
cbucka
Level 7

Petrocity, I am having the exact same issues with the WatchESPN app on my Galaxy S3. These issues occur at the same time that other apps (specifically, Time Warner Cable Sportsnet) stream with crystal clear quality. My video feed appears adequate to start, then slowly degrades over 3-5 minutes, then the "Carrier Network Supporting Audio Only. Video Resumes When Connectivity Improves" prompt shows. I've tested this while switching between ESPN and TWC apps to watch a Lakers game, and the TWC app was flawless while the ESPN app couldn't remove head from sphincter. This occurs regardless of whether I'm on 4G LTE or Wifi connection to my own Fios 35MBPS connection at home. But based on what thetick is asserting, are we to understand that our ISP (Verizon for my cell, TV, and home internet) is punishing its customers for a strained relationship with Disney? Are we really to believe that Verizon is knowing/willingly throttling Disney applications? If so, my contract for internet is up in 2 months, so I'll know my move, but I'd like to be certain of the true issue before making moves. Does this really come down to Verizon being petty?
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Level 7

"cbucka" wrote:
... based on what thetick is asserting, are we to understand that our ISP (Verizon for my cell, TV, and home internet) is punishing its customers for a strained relationship with Disney? Are we really to believe that Verizon is knowing/willingly throttling Disney applications?

No. That's not what he's saying at all. Your connection to any given server may pass through 10 or even 20 different computers, most of which aren't controlled by your ISP.
Any delay anywhere along that path can cause problems. Channels provide their own CDN, so it's quite possible for the path to one channel server to have problems while others work perfectly.
It's just the internet. Things aren't perfect all the time.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos