Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
merenkov
Level 7

Re: Watch TCM ?

When I try to use the 'Watch TCM' app on my Roku Streaming Stick, the app instantly crashes, kicking me back to the Roku home screen.  I don't even have the opportunity to authenticate.  My tv is provider is Google Fiber, by the way.  I've tried deleting the app, rebooting the system, and adding the app back.  Still no worky....
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the note. Which model of Roku device are you using? 

After you remove the channel from the Roku home screen, try disconnecting the power to the device for a moment to restart it, then once it loads up again, add the channel back and try streaming once more. 

If that isn't doing the trick, I'd recommend reaching out to TCM directly to report the issue and request additional support. You can reach them here:
https://tcmdigitalhelp.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003778594-How-can-I-contact-TCM-

Feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address and the serial number of your device from Settings>System>About if you need any further help. I'll see what else we can do to assist you from there. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
merenkov
Level 7

Tanner, in answer to your question, I just have a couple of basic Roku Streaming Sticks (colored black), that I purchased back in November and December of last year.  I tried what you suggested, but the app still doesn't work.  Roku tech support has informed me that Roku is simply a platform, that the problem is likely with TCM's app.  That seems like a peculiar business model to me.  Why would Roku add an app to its device that doesn't work? The Apple iPhone is also simply a platform, but Apple at least tests and vets apps before adding to their store.  Apple has 2 million apps for the iPhone, and they all work.  Roku has a few hundred apps, and it's hit or miss...
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"merenkov" wrote:
Tanner, in answer to your question, I just have a couple of basic Roku Streaming Sticks (colored black), that I purchased back in November and December of last year.  I tried what you suggested, but the app still doesn't work.  Roku tech support has informed me that Roku is simply a platform, that the problem is likely with TCM's app.  That seems like a peculiar business model to me.  Why would Roku add an app to its device that doesn't work? The Apple iPhone is also simply a platform, but Apple at least tests and vets apps before adding to their store.  Apple has 2 million apps for the iPhone, and they all work.  Roku has a few hundred apps, and it's hit or miss...

TCM works for me. I wonder what I’m doing wrong.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
merenkov
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:
"merenkov" wrote:

TCM works for me. I wonder what I’m doing wrong.

Dukes, looks like you have multiple devices, does the TCM app work on all of them?  I had a similar problem with the CNBC app, and it finally started working once Roku updated my operating system.  But Roku users can't just update to new operating systems, you have to wait as these are rolled out in different parts of the country at different times.  Which is another peculiar thing about Roku's business model...
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Basil
Level 10

"merenkov" wrote:

You explicitly stated you removed the app, rebooted the device, then reinstalled the app. That is the correct procedure. It's been mentioned several times because many will do those steps out of order, or omit the reboot altogether.

It does indeed look like something about the app, which was built by TCM. https://channelstore.roku.com/details/258944/watch-tcm

The model is the same as Apple's, or Microsoft's (they don't write all the apps in your computer, do they?), or any of many other examples.

I suspect you have had an app crash on your iPhone. So let's keep it real, shall we.

Reaching out to TCM would be a good thing, but there are more you can do in regards to your Roku and the app. But, you need to follow through on some things.

What model is your Roku. You only gave a description. Use the menu system to look it up if you don't know it. While you're at it, get the software and build number.

Apart from that, let's get down me try bgo in your network setup. Are you in the U.S.? Are you using a VPN?

Oh, and how many Roku are on your account? You may need to remove TCM from all if them to clear things up.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
merenkov
Level 7

Basil, in answer to your questions:

Model: 3800X - Roku Streaming Stick
Software version:  9.0.0, build 4142-55

I have two Roku's, same model as above, same software version.  When I delete the TCM app from one device, it automatically disappears from the other device.
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"merenkov" wrote:
Basil, in answer to your questions:

Model: 3800X - Roku Streaming Stick
Software version:  9.0.0, build 4142-55

I have two Roku's, same model as above, same software version.  When I delete the TCM app from one device, it automatically disappears from the other device.

When you removed the app, reboot all the devices. Then, after all have been rebooted, add the app back.

Dunno if that'll resolve anything, but all the usual stuff has been tried. Used to, the apps wouldn't disappear from the other devices until reboot or update. Now, it's practically instantaneous. We're in uncharted territory now. Since the "single sign on" process may be coming into play, perhaps clearing out all residual app data (what the reboot is doing) from all devices might make a difference. Might not. Won't know till tried.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
merenkov
Level 7

Basil, I tried your idea, but still no TCM.  I'll just assume the problem is with the app itself and that someday TCM will get around to fixing it (I've emailed TCM's mobile device group several times, but no response).  Oh well...
0 Kudos
merenkov
Level 7

As an experiment, I tried to use the 'Watch TCM' app on my iPhone.  The app gets stuck trying to authorize my tv provider, which to repeat is Google Fiber.  All of which leads me to believe the TCM app itself has a bug, preventing it from authenticating Google Fiber specifically.
0 Kudos