Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aelrick
Level 7

Watch ESPN on TCL ROKU TV

I have 2 TCL TV's with the Roku built in, a 55-inch in the family room and a 32-inch in the kitchen.

Watch ESPN works great on the 55-inch, but on the 32 inch I get this weird stuttering effect where it looks like it's dropping frames or something.  The players sort of stutter across the floor.

When I first go the game and the stream has yet to really lock in the motion is normal and smooth (though the picture is not HD) but once the stream locks in and I'm getting the great picture then the stuttering starts.

All other live streaming channels look great, it's just Watch ESPN.  I assume it's an issue with the app and the way it interacts with the frame rate of the TV or something.

Thoughts?
0 Kudos
6 Replies
renojim
Level 10

Re: Watch ESPN on TCL ROKU TV

I think the 32" TCL struggles with the 60fps stuff on Watch ESPN, but I don't have a good way to test this theory.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I don't have any TCL TVs, but I do have a 24" Insignia and 43" Sharp, and there's a definite performance difference between the two sizes. I don't use ESPN, but the difference with YouTube is quite noticeable. The Sharp performs as well as my 4 and Ultra, while the Insignia has a slight lag between button presses and anything happening. Of course, my Sharp is a 4K set, which would mean it has better processing, and the Insignia is only 720p. No idea if that translates into the TCL line, but it does match up with my experience.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 9

I remember having the choppiness problem on ESPN, but it's been so long i can't remember if it was on WatchESPN or the ESPN stream on the Time Warner app. From what i recall one worked fine while the other had the choppiness problem (just can't remember which worked/had choppiness), this was on the same tv so it would seem to be an app problem, rather than a tv problem, all choppiness eventually stopped for me though, haven't noticed it in quite a while.
0 Kudos
d_brown92
Level 7

I'm having the exact same issue on the 49" TCL Roku TV (49S405).  I find that commercials play fine and some of the ESPN advertising video that gets cut into the middle of the program plays fine, but the actual sport event jumps 2-3 times a second like it's being played under a strobe light.  I looked at multiple sports with the same results.  I did find that a series of European soccer videos that appeared to be lower quality played fine.  Clearly something wrong with the embedded Roku player.
0 Kudos
tehhippy
Level 7

Sounds like I have the same issue on my Hisense 50R7050E. Is this a Roku or TV issue?
0 Kudos
SoCal_Alex
Level 7

I'm having this same issue with On Demand programs in the Watch ESPN app on my TCL 55P605 Roku TV. Live feeds are fine, as are the commercials during the on demand programs, but once the ESPN program begins or continues from commercial it's extremely choppy. I switched from wireless to wired and it still does it so I'm thinking it's an issue with the app. I want to say this started when ESPN rolled out the app update with the ESPN+ launch. For what it's worth, I do not have this problem watching on demand programming on the ESPN app on my PS4.
0 Kudos