Channel Issues & Questions

Help & troubleshooting for channels on your Roku device, including adding/removing channels, logging in to, authenticating, or activating a channel, channel-specific playback issues, assistance contacting channel publishers to report issues, and adjusting channel-specific settings.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dangdongho3
Level 7

Washed out Netflix

I have the Roku Premier plus.  When I start Netflix the picture gets a washed out look.  The Netflix logo isn't red it is a dull orange/red.  Also,the 4k hdr catogory goes away.  I've taken it back and tried several Roku's, they all  do it.  I've also tried different hdmi cables.  I am running it through an Onkyo a/v receiver.  It doesn't do it with Hulu or any other services.

Thanks for the help
0 Kudos
22 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Washed out Netflix

What happens when you run it direct to the tv?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
RonO
Level 7

I have the exact same issue. I have a Plus Stick and plugged directly into TV, NETFLIX is washed out (orange instead of red logo, etc.). I have tried everything I can think of and can’t solve it. Amazon Prime including HDRtitles and Hulu work fine so it must be the App. I have a 2016 Samsung KU6300 Series. It is driving me crazy. I may return and exchange for a Fire TV if I can’t resolve this.
0 Kudos
fluffuser
Level 7

I think I have seen the same thing. This is where the Roku Netflix app is incorrectly flagging standard video (rec709 color) as wide colour (bt2020)

regards.
0 Kudos
RonO
Level 7

Yes, it does look like an incorrect colorspace is being applied. How do we get this fixed?
0 Kudos
RokuShawnS
Level 10

Please post the make/model numbers of everything in your setup (TV, receiver, et al).
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
RonO
Level 7

My equipment is a 60" Samsung KU3000 with a Roku Stick + Device ID C13790268985.  The stick is plugged directly into HDMI port #1.  UHD is turned on in the settings for this port.  I am not using any other equipment.
0 Kudos
wingrider
Level 7

Same problem with my Roku premier direct to a RPTV Netflix has washed out twice now had to restart the Roku to get it right. Thought maybe the set was giving up looks like others are having the same problem.model 4620X SERIAL # 7J96A7527318
0 Kudos
cgs
Level 7

RokuShawnS:
Please post the make/model numbers of everything in your setup (TV, receiver, et al).

I picked up a Roku Ultra a couple days ago and this problem has been driving me nuts, close to returning it. I figured a few things out (I have a Samsung series 8 TV (4k + HDR), UHD is turned on). Roku Ultra is connected directly to the TV.

Roku correctly identifies that my TV is 4k HDR @60Hz:

1. If I leave the display set to 4k HDR 60Hz, almost all Netflix movies/shows are washed out, especially noticeable in that the reds are gone (as others have said), however:

2. Setting Roku display settings to 4k 60Hz (without HDR), most Netflix movies clear up and display correct colors, except for HDR movies - which are then totally washed out

3. If I set Roku display settings back to 4k HDR 60Hz, then all HDR movies appear to have much better colors. I'm not sure if it's the full HDR color gamut, but definitely looks better than with HDR off

So the work-around seems to be:

1. When watching HDR movies on Netflix, set Roku display settings to 4k HDR 60Hz (assuming your TV supports that)

2. When watching any other movie on Netflix (1080p, 4k without HDR, etc.), set Roku display settings to 4k 60Hz

Needless to say, this is unacceptable long-term. Not sure if this is an issue for Netflix or Roku, but right now Netflix works perfectly fine with 4k and HDR movies on my other devices (Samsung TV app, Xbox One app, etc.).
0 Kudos
rockou
Level 7

Strange. I have a Samsung 8 series also and the Roku Ultra looks fine on 4k non HDR and HDR videos. I have the Ultra set to 4k HDR 60hz.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
0 Kudos