Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brykeller
Channel Surfer

Why is HBO Max causing Roku to overheat?

Hi there! Strange thing is happening. We watch content on our Roku all day including Netflix, Discovery+ and others, no issues. When we load HBO Max to watch WW84 the Roku overheats after about 10 minutes. We get the temperature check warning. This only happens with this specific content. No other channels or shows have caused this. Anyone have ideas of what could be going on?

Tags (1)
73 REPLIES 73
RV_5433388

Re: WW84 using HBO Max causes Roku to overheat

Us too. Any solution? 

0 Kudos
Tpkirby

Only on HBOMax. Typically a movie. Roku overheats

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Tpkirby

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? It's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.

For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

If you are still unable to resolve the issue you are experiencing, please send me a PM (private message) with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos

This is happen to me with All the little things with Denzel Washington. Now most recently the Tom and Jerry movies! I have the Roku Streaming Stick +

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @pabloxroldan,

Thanks for the post.

Roku players/Streaming Sticks tend to go warm since it's plugged in all the time, we suggest using an HDMI Extender. You may grab one here! https://my.roku.com/HDMI
We also recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided by our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your ...

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
brykeller
Channel Surfer

Hi all, for me, we stream all the time and have about 3 streaming sticks in our home. Of the dozen or so apps we stream often, only HBO Max exhibits this behavior and only with movies. GoT for example, which you would think would push a device pretty hard with the hi def visuals works just fine. It happened for me like the other poster on Wonder Woman and The Little Things. I can watch Netflix, Hulu, Discovery+ all day with no warnings at all. This seems strange and could be an issue with the way HBO max has developed their app or streams movies?

0 Kudos
Jaltman2

Just tonight my son was trying to watch the tom and Jerry movie on HBO max and it will only play for 10 minutes before the overheat warning comes on. I am also using the roku stick+

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Jaltman2,

Thanks for the post.

Does the issue only occur on specific content on HBO Max or all channels on your Roku device?

Please be aware that it's fairly normal for your device to get warm during use, but if you are seeing a message on the screen mentioning overheating, there are a few things you can do to help.
For more information visit our Support page here: What should I do if the red light is flashing or I ... - Roku

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
Raiderman
Reel Rookie

ANY movie I play on HBO Max overheats. I have an extender so Generic answers to this by Roku only makes this issue more irritating. It's ONLY happening on Max and no other service and there's absolutely no way you can be blind to it so, a better response would be more appropriate. Are they working on a Fix?? Yes, I have the Roku 4K Stick w/extender 3810RW. This doesn't happen with my 4K Firestick in my bedroom and I'm tired of having to switch rooms to watch HBO Max! Just be honest and tell us if they're working on it because I'm not going to buy another Roku, just another Firestick!