Channels & viewing

Are your Roku channels not working? Find troubleshooting tips for adding/removing channels, logging in, authentication, activation, playback issues, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brykeller
Channel Surfer

Re: WW84 using HBO Max causes Roku to overheat

Yes, GoT was mentioned earlier on this thread, it does not cause the issue. It appears to be movies only.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

I did watch WW84 when it first came out, again without issue. And that was in 4K/Dolby Vision and Atmos, so it was pushing the player to the limit. These reports seem to cover several different models, so it doesn't appear hardware specific. The 4800 has had other reports of overheating, but again it hasn't been an issue for me. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
Mc64
Reel Rookie

Actually, there are a ton of complaints about the HBO Max app and overheating, so I don’t think you read the thread.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Yes, I have. And I agree there have been a lot of reports of overheating. I can only state what I observe, which has not presented any specific heating issues using HBO Max, or any other channel as well. Again, it's only a single data point. But it should be added to show that it's not a system-wide issue.

Is it environment related? I have no idea. But it is one thing to consider. Some users have their players within cabinets, or Sticks connected directly to the TV, neither which offer the best environment for device cooling. Has HBO messed up their channel programming? Absolutely a potential cause. The Max app on the Shield is worse than the Roku version, so I don't think much overall of their programmers. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
0 Kudos
dannyb33

It's just HBO Max. I have the extender I tried every tip but nothing helps. If I am watching a movie on HBO Max I just have to watch it on something that doesn't use the stick. So far all the other type of Roku devices work fine.

0 Kudos
Britchick1
Reel Rookie

Same issue with ROKU Premiere, overheating ONLY occurs on HBO Max and ONLY when streaming movies 😐

0 Kudos
Madamijr

Me too my tcl 4k tv with roku overheats only with hbo max

0 Kudos
Krys84

This is only happens with HBO max.. no other app.. this needs to be fixed 

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Guru

Hello @Krys84

Thanks for letting us know about the issue you're experiencing.

Have you tried removing HBO Max then re-install it? In some cases, that resolves the issue. Make sure you restart your Roku device before adding the channel back in to ensure the process is successful. Here are the steps you can follow: 

1. Remove the channel: Highlight the channel tile on your home screen and press the Star button to open the options menu. Select Remove channel and confirm.

• Note: If you are removing a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you must cancel the subscription before you see the Remove channel option. For help identifying this type of subscription channel, read the detailed article about removing a channel.

2. Restart your Roku device: If it is inconvenient to reach the power cord to unplug your Roku device, you can restart the device from the settings menu. Go to Settings > System > System restart > Restart.

3. Re-install the channel: After your Roku device restarts, visit the Roku Channel Store and add the channel again.

• Note: If you are adding a subscription channel billed to your Roku account, you will need to resubscribe.

You can also try the suggestions here: What should I do if the red light is on or I see a “Your device is overheating” warning?

Let us know if there's any difference after. 

All the best, 
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
seadooman
Reel Rookie

My TCL Roku tv displays the overheat message when streaming first run movies on HBO Max only. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling no change, tried using cat 5 cable, no change. Reset tv no change. But if I go to my Amazon stick works perfectly. 

0 Kudos